• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no great urgency, at least for now, as there are still two blank slots. But it could be helpful in the future...

There's a comment in "globals.c" for "PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY" with your name on it, saying that 6 are supported but not used. Is there a reason why the game can't support 7 Pirate flag textures, the same as for Personal flags?

Anyway, since there are no free Pirate flags available at all, I'm going to see if I can add that 6th row.

Sorry, can't remember about that comment in globals.c

I've tested a little and in Kristiania the fort flag is visible in four locations. Very ok here with the triple-tounged.
Other land flags in town also four. Could do as well with that flag as it was used on official buildings.

The good thing is that war ships will use it while merchants uses the standard one.

There's no great urgency, at least for now, as there are still two blank slots. But it could be helpful in the future...

There's a comment in "globals.c" for "PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY" with your name on it, saying that 6 are supported but not used. Is there a reason why the game can't support 7 Pirate flag textures, the same as for Personal flags?

Anyway, since there are no free Pirate flags available at all, I'm going to see if I can add that 6th row.
I think eight rows for each type of flag are actually possible if you're running out of room. For pirates I think the last row is disabled from being picked at random to avoid random usage so in that event the extra one(s) will need inserting and the last one renumbering/renaming to continue that.
Actually 8 will be OK for the interface - its a question of what adding the block code to the rigging and what that does -ie is 6 significant in some way - I will test that tomorrowView attachment 21991

I think eight rows for each type of flag are actually possible if you're running out of room. For pirates I think the last row is disabled from being picked at random to avoid random usage so in that event the extra one(s) will need inserting and the last one renumbering/renaming to continue that.
Yes, in "PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\Flags.c", function "GetPirateFlag":
Code:
ntex = rand(PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY - 2); //PW: -2 to disable last row in random encounters
Since the new row is also to be for custom pirate flags as well, it's probably easiest just to change that "- 2" to "- 3" to disable the last two rows.

There's little point in adding extra rows until they're needed because the texture files for the rows of flags and pennants, plus all the interface flag and shield textures, then also need to be added. The net result is a row of place-holders in the flag selection interface screen. At the moment I have a 6th row of pirate flags, all plain black, with a couple of different pennant shapes just to get things started. I may as well change one of them to the Sandokan flag, and I can also resurrect a Moorish flag which was lost when it was replaced by a newer flag some time ago.

There's little point in adding extra rows until they're needed because the texture files for the rows of flags and pennants, plus all the interface flag and shield textures, then also need to be added. The net result is a row of place-holders in the flag selection interface screen. At the moment I have a 6th row of pirate flags, all plain black, with a couple of different pennant shapes just to get things started. I may as well change one of them to the Sandokan flag, and I can also resurrect a Moorish flag which was lost when it was replaced by a newer flag some time ago.
For any but the Personal flags to go beyond 6 rows would also require hex-editing new dll files to support them as was done as a test for Personal previously (in that case the dlls for an eigth row exist) but as you say adding a row for one new flag leaves a lot of place holders which is not a good look.

Here's what I have so far:
pirflg6.jpg

Sandokan, Moorish, emblem on the side of the pirate steam frigate. They're still expendable placeholders as far as I'm concerned, but there are also four more completely black flags which are more obviously just placeholders. That should give new pirates somewhere to put their flags! :pflag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back