• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Opening Post Updated: New Fix Pack Posted

This fix pack should officially take care of ALL important code problems that I am aware of.
This includes checking on and addressing all storyline errors that have been reported here before.
If there are any other specific issues that really hurt the gameplay, please let me know.

Full List:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 3 Full Test Updates:
- Bug Fixes:
  . Display of Personal Flags on Companion Ships ashore fixed by Pieter Boelen
- Interface Updates:
  . Ship Interface Screenshots updated and quality improved by Armada
  . Slightly improved Passengers Interface by Pieter Boelen
- Ship Model Updates:
  . Rigging improved on all Fluyts by Hylie Pistof
- Storyline Updates:
  . Standard Storyline:
    > Tutorial fixed for starting with a ship without cabin by Pieter Boelen
    > Random Characters disabled during tutorial by Pieter Boelen
    > Black Pearl appearance at Martinique no longer hostile as per original game by Pieter Boelen
    > Replacement Speightstown squadron shows up ONLY if original squadron captains were killed by Pieter Boelen
    > Skull replaces Isenbrandt Jurcksen after main storyline by Pieter Boelen
    > Evil Stormy Start in Iron Man Mode simplified by Pieter Boelen
  . Jack Sparrow Storyline:
    > Cursed Ship code fixed properly, including Crimson Blood option, by Pieter Boelen

guys it keeps on installing to same folder as launcher with all instructions step by step,UAC down and no idea what on new potc original from scratch. Maybe i should try install from same folder as game as suggested in forum.

:rofl
If you were using yesterday's one, a new game is NOT enforced. There wasn't much important stuff changed in the INI files today. :no

guys it keeps on installing to same folder as launcher with all instructions step by step,UAC down and no idea what on new potc original from scratch. Maybe i should try install from same folder as game as suggested in forum.
The way the installer works:
1. It deletes, moves and copies various files from your main game folder in preparation for the modpack
2. It extracts the 7-Zip file to the same folder that the installer is in
3. Once this is done, it moves all extracted files to your game folder
4. To finish, it again has to move and copy a lot of files

I'd rather have figured out how to make the 7-Zip file directly to the main game folder, but unfortunately that appeared impossible.
But the move that is done afterwards does work. The fact that you DO notice a difference in your game after installing proves that part DOES work.
As I understand it, steps #1 and #4 of the above are failing for you though.

For example, check your RESOURCE\Textures\Locations\ENGLAND folder. If installed correctly, there should be 144 files in there.
I strongly suspect you will have far less files in there. Could you check and confirm that?

Maybe i should try install from same folder as game as suggested in forum.
That'll probably mess things up pretty badly. Today I deliberately changed the installer EXE file to prevent people from doing that.
Last time I tried to make the installer move folders when the same folder was involved, I got a bizarre effect of "subfolder inside subfolder inside subfolder".
And that several hundred times! Not good. :no

Hey! What's up with this being recognized in town BS? I've been recognized three times tonight and every time is certain death. This is a Game Breaker. :rumgone

I can't beat one soldier much less a dozen of them plus town folk. This is impossible to do. :walkplank

What are you doing with your flags? I changed that code a bit:
Code:
 . Flag Hoisting Code rewritten and simplified by Pieter Boelen
    > If you use the Quick-Command Menu, you will hoist your original flag again later on
    > You are no longer marked as a traitor whenever you hoist a pirate flag, but if you hoist ANY hostile flag IN SIGHT OF other ships
That range can be pretty far though, especially when it is clear during daytime. See this this code from BattleInterface.c:
Code:
    visibility_range = GetVisibilityRange(0) + makefloat(GetSummonSkillFromName(chr, SKILL_LEADERSHIP) * GetSummonSkillFromName(chr, SKILL_SAILING) * 5); // KK

if (SeaAI_GetRelation(Ships[i], sti(PChar.index)) != RELATION_ENEMY || Ship_GetDistance2D(pchar, chr) > visibility_range)
     {
       SetCharacterRelationBoth(sti(PChar.index), Ships[i], GetNationRelation(sti(PChar.nation), sti(chr.nation)));
     }
     if(Ship_GetDistance2D(pchar, chr) <= visibility_range)
     {
       //If you hoist an enemy flag close to other ships, they will remenber you and recognise you next time
       if(CheckAttribute(Pchar,"flagchanged") && GetNationRelation(sti(pchar.nation), sti(chr.nation)) == RELATION_ENEMY)
       {
         chr.recognized = 1;
         chr.EnemyShipName = Pchar.Ship.Name;
         chr.EnemyShipType = Pchar.Ship.Type;
         // PB: Only do this close to enemy ships
         PChar.traitor = true; // marker for recognizing feature
       }
     }
Couple of things we could change:
- Add a random factor in this, so that you won't always be marked as traitor
- Reduce the range at which all the above recognizing happens. At the moment this is 3000 "units" minus fog density and reduced by another 50% if at night
For this second one, just change GetVisibilityRange(0) to GetVisibilityRange(1) in the above example. That'll change the distance to 1000 units instead of 3000.

I'll still be interested to know what you were doing before you got recognized.

Edit: These ranges are used also for the availability of the ship type and nation information in the Sail-To menu.
Looks like ship type can be seen closer than range "1" and for nation to be known, you have to be closer than range "2".
Based on that, I'd suggest changing the above to GetVisibilityRange(2) .
If you can't see THEIR flag according the interface, it stands to reason that they can't see YOURS either.
That should definitely reduce the amount of times you'll get the "traitor" thing.
If it is still not OK, let me know and we can add that randomizer.

Um, Hylie was talking about being recognised in town and being swarmed by guards, not at sea.
Are the two related, or did you miss that part? I'm confused. o_O

The marking as traitor happens at sea when you hoist an enemy flag close to ships.
Then when you are ashore, there is a chance that random characters recognize you for that action, after which everyone goes crazy at you.

This is a feature that was in the game for quite some time, but was only ever triggered by hoisting a pirate flag through the [Enter] menu at sea.
I don't think many people ever did that, so not many people ran into this. However, I now set up all flag-hoisting code to work the same, so now it IS being triggered.
The range at which the "marking as traitor" happened was rather excessive though.
Basically any ship between you and the horizon will notice if you hoist a hostile flag. Not quite fair. :no

Edit: Yep, GetVisibilityRange(2) does seem much more reasonable. You can do whatever you want with your flags while away from other ships.
But if you can see their flag in the Sail-To menu, they can also see it if you suddenly hoist a flag enemy to them.

Last edited:
The only thing I was doing with my flags was hoisting the Spanish flag when joining battles between them and the English so I could capture an English galleon. Then after the battle I would raise my personal flag.

I was being attacked in Spanish towns like San Juan, San Luis, and Havana and the Spanish are friendly with me.

So the cure is to never ever change flags again.

Hmm.... Then probably that is because the presence of the English ships marked you as a traitor. At the moment, the "traitor" attribute is not nation-specific.
I might be able to add that, so you'll only be marked as traitor in towns of the nation you actually betrayed.

Edit: Just made the code modifications for that. So if you would do what you did, you would now be marked as a traitor for England.
That means that you can be recognized as such in English locations only.
Until you betray another country, but then it'll be reset for England and enabled for the other country.

Note also that you CAN change flags freely as long as you are away from the other ships.
They just don't like to see a ship that appears to be friendly to them and then suddenly you turn hostile. That's just not very gentlemanly. :cheeky

Anyway, as soon as I've posted this change later today, we'll see how it goes.
If it does still happen too often, I'll add the randomizer in there.

Last edited:
weird or what!! Now it has after i moved the files in folder to my documents and run it,seems it has done the job.Previously i had the files in a folder inside my videos where i download with the jd program. I'll try see if it works and tell u. See for next editions if the later periods can be made more like the later periods like napoloenic or whatever,funny meeting a french napoleonic governor dressed as someone out of the film of the musketeers.How does the game work as to changing time periods?

At the moment, all character models are not period-specific. Soldier uniforms excluded.

Opening Post Updated: New Fix Pack Posted

And another update pack again. NOTE: If you were using yesterday's release, a new game is NOT enforced.
Recommended for the encounter and town/island-related changes to take effect though.

Main stuff fixed:
- Distance decreased for ships seeing if you change your flag to one hostile to them and marking you as a traitor for it.
- Marking as traitor at sea only works for the nation being betrayed.
- Surrendered ships don't sometimes appear hostile anymore.
- Cannot reload on boarding surrendered ships fixed.
- Encounters changed for pirates, allowing a greater range of ships being used. Also, no more Treasure Fleets in Napoleonic.

New and updated stuff:
- Town and fort added to Curacao by Armada (WIP: Cannons don't fire properly yet for some reason)
- Sail-To Icons finished by Cassadar

Hi Pieter,

I just downloaded the update but I have some things I would like to mention based on my latest testing.

The emergency repairs and quick repairs abilities don't seem to be working. When you have them and your vessel is badly damaged you used to access them through the abilities key select it, hit enter and they icons would appear, etc they haven't appeared for some versions. So this might be something long standing.

After boarding and killing a captain some are lootable and some are not. This again has been a long standing issue. Just observing this it does not appear to be related to ship type or anything else.

The ransom dialogue is problematic there are 4-5 initial choices and none of them are ransom. If there is a specific dialogue tree to get you to ransom it is not obvious to me. If we are going to have the feature of ransoming in the hold it shouldn't be so hard to make it work. As it is I find it virtually impossible to use effectively. I much prefer this to the stock game if it works.

I realize these may all be much less urgent than the work you are doing on Beta 3, but I wanted to call them to your attention.

And, I want to say how truly amazing the work you are doing on all of this is truly amazing.

:onya

Just tested Emergency Repairs and it does show up. But ONLY if your HP or SP is less than 10%. That is what it is coded as.
And Light Repairs also works fine. As long as you've got planks and sailcloth in your cargo hold, are free to reload to the worldmap and have HP or SP less than 90%.

So I can find nothing wrong there. Except perhaps the ability descriptions and what they actually do don't actually match up properly.
What do people reckon both abilities should do? Then I can change it so it does just that and change the descriptions accordingly.

As for ransoming, do you mean you have trouble putting the captains in the hold at all or is the problem once they are IN the hold to ransom them then?
I remember putting them in the hold was impossible for Coast Raiders before, but I fixed that weeks ago.
And I managed to successfully ransom a captain from the cargo hold I think last week, but didn't look into it very far.
I think some of that doesn't work entirely right and sometimes you should get the ransom option, but you don't.
Anyway, what I did was to tell the captain in the hold to "stand up" first. You also have to be moored in port for it to work.

You mentioned the unlootable captains before and I'm pretty sure some odd stuff is going on with looting in the first place.
But I'll run into those when I finally get around to some play-testing of my own. That'll have to wait until after the Beta 3 release though.

Ransoming captives is very random and more often than not there is no option to ransom them at all. I have given up on that and either hire them or forget about them. Then they escape on their own soon enough.

You can still switch to the old ransoming system under Game Preferences.

Edit: I'm looking into redoing the workings of this dialog file quite a bit. As it is, it is looking massively confusing.
Let's see if I can get some sense out of it all. o_O

Last edited:
Back