• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

I'll try that in console.
It's not a proper fix, but it is a start. I wonder why some ships do and don't get their own personal flags though.
As I said, on my own console-based test, it worked fine from the start. And when I captured that already-surrendered ship of yours, the personal flags worked straight away too.

Yes, surrendered Captains do have lots of goodies whether they want to fight or not. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.
Interesting, I didn't know that at all. Goes to show how much I get round to actually playing: NOT very much! :shock

1000 curses! I sold that ship with the different flags and the new ship still uses that flag! It is not the Captain. It is not the ship. It might be that ship slot. :nerbz

1000 curses! I sold that ship with the different flags and the new ship still uses that flag! It is not the Captain. It is not the ship. It might be that ship slot. :nerbz
And that is AFTER executing my console lines?
Or how about.... sell that ship, but don't buy a replacement. After the slot is CLEARED, assign another captain and get another ship.
Does then that new ship also have the problem? That method does ensure there is no attribute-swapping going on between officers, which may have been at play here.

Ouch. Did you get everything you need?
I think so. Had some issues with Jack Hammond and Oldroyd, but the one 64 file I really couldn't find I just made myself by downsizing the 128 one.
Wouldn't hurt to have people keeping an eye out for wrong portraits once I post WIP 17 though.

And it seems the model used for Oldroyd is ALSO used by "Able Seaman Stanley", so I have just changed him to use a different model with his own portrait.
That should also ensure there are no Hornblower portraits in the Woodes Rogers storyline, because I think some of those RNSail02 models are used there too.
So it was a good thing I ended up looking into this; wouldn't have caught the mis-match otherwise. :doff

That should also ensure there are no Hornblower portraits in the Woodes Rogers storyline, because I think some of those RNSail02 models are used there too.
That already fixed? Thought it to be a later job for me. :doff

Pieter I have uploaded "JRH fix1 after wip16": A small fix + a list of files not used any longer.
If you please could delete them in the next release.

And a question: I'm working on a storyteller for the GoldBug.
He's placed in the shipwreck on the very first shore. But only if cheatmode = on etc etc.
Should I lock the cabin else or just remove the character or minimize the reload locator
so it's invisible? Ideas are welcome.

A general question maybe is how do a new player know he has to set cheatmode = on
to get help from any storyteller? :confused:

That already fixed? Thought it to be a later job for me. :doff
I did that yesterday; only makes sense, no? Don't really want to mess up your story. So now they all use the "British soldier" portrait again.

Pieter I have uploaded "JRH fix1 after wip16": A small fix + a list of files not used any longer.
If you please could delete them in the next release.
Cool, thanks! Will do.

And a question: I'm working on a storyteller for the GoldBug.
He's placed in the shipwreck on the very first shore. But only if cheatmode = on etc etc.
Should I lock the cabin else or just remove the character or minimize the reload locator
so it's invisible? Ideas are welcome.
I suppose locking the cabin is the cleanest solution. Then at least people won't be confused on "why is there nothing here?"

A general question maybe is how do a new player know he has to set cheatmode = on
to get help from any storyteller? :confused:
There is this note in the Tips & Tricks interface:
TipsStoryHelpers.jpg
At the moment, I reckon that looks fairly messy though. Could use some further work. Plus I'm not sure people will look at that. But it IS there.

Originally, the main reason for these guys was for testing purposes anyway. Ideally, players shouldn't need them. But you never do know.

WITH_BRIGHT_COLOURS, eh? What does THAT do??? :cheeky
If it makes modding easier, should that perhaps be always on if you use VISIBLE_LOCATORS?

Nich666: If you check your inventory you will find an Aztec coin. This is the source of your problem. :rumgone

Now you have to go to Tortuga and get Mr. Gibbs and then go to Isla de Muerte to get rid of that cursed coin. Did you ever watch the first POTC film? :popcorn:

Oh yeah, look out for that dead bird too. :facepalm

Hi Hylie, Thanks for the reply. I didn't even know the glittery gold bauble was cursed until you and Pieter pointed it out. Thought it might be worth a bob or two; greed eh? Serves me right.

I'm afraid the POTC films (all of them) are too dumbed down for my tastes. Penelope Cruz is nice eye candy but Deppy boy is seen as being bored by the whole thing [Rotten Tomatoes review], and I can see why. Playing the game is almost 3D and I can't fall asleep half way through. Regards, Brian.

Apparently you found a cursed Aztec Coin. If you don't like it, just lift the curse by putting it in the chest on Isla de Muerta.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I will try F9 to see what happens. As in the old game, after you sight another ship and go off the map to the deck you can't save, so the outcome isn't repeatable. Usually it doesn't matter but if hunting an elusive ship for the govenor or a quest, having found it, it is somewhat tedious to hunt it down again if the outcome goes tits up AND I have a lot of patience. So have you apparently. Regards, Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone upload as attachment an example of the console that supposedly goes through all ships ingame ? Because if one number somewhere is missing I don't get it -circling through ships, just if I write the name of a specific ship that works.

And that is AFTER executing my console lines?
Or how about.... sell that ship, but don't buy a replacement. After the slot is CLEARED, assign another captain and get another ship.
Does then that new ship also have the problem? That method does ensure there is no attribute-swapping going on between officers, which may have been at play here.

I did not do that yet. I did buy another ship and swapped all three ships around, and also replaced and moved officers. I ended up with the first two ships working properly and the third ship with no flags at all.
Now I'm off to sell some ships. :walkplank

Sold the ships. sailed to different islands, shuffled the officers around, bought a random ship, and it still has the same flags as before. :shrug Does this happen to anyone else?

Hi Hylie, Thanks for the reply. I didn't even know the glittery gold bauble was cursed until you and Pieter pointed it out. Thought it might be worth a bob or two; greed eh? Serves me right.
Even if you hadn't taken it, you would be stuck with it. That's one of the things the curse does: you can't get rid of it.
Perhaps the item description should be clearer? This is what we have now:
Code:
Large golden coin with an Aztec skull depiction. It gives off an aura of great ancient power. Rumour has it that these originate from an island that cannot be found, except by those who already know where it is.
I would have expected most everyone to at least recognize those things as being from the PotC films. Apparently there are exceptions; that's good to know.

We added those coins with their curse mainly as a joke. If you know how to do it, you can get rid of them in five minutes; not that difficult.
And once you've lifted the curse, every other coin you find, you CAN sell.
If you have any specific suggestions on making things clearer or more fun/less annoying, that would be welcome.
Different views are always good. :cheers

I'm afraid the POTC films (all of them) are too dumbed down for my tastes. Penelope Cruz is nice eye candy but Deppy boy is seen as being bored by the whole thing [Rotten Tomatoes review], and I can see why. Playing the game is almost 3D and I can't fall asleep half way through. Regards, Brian.
As I see it, the first one is pretty good and pretty clever. The other three have got some fun elements, but on the whole are a tremendous lost opportunity.
And they went WAY overboard with the crazy and silly stuff.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will try F9 to see what happens. As in the old game, after you sight another ship and go off the map to the deck you can't save, so the outcome isn't repeatable. Usually it doesn't matter but if hunting an elusive ship for the govenor or a quest, having found it, it is somewhat tedious to hunt it down again if the outcome goes tits up AND I have a lot of patience. So have you apparently. Regards, Brian.
The original game didn't allow saving at sea at all. When we added it, we had to disable it while IN battle too.
Mainly because we cannot save the cannon reload status. Otherwise you could use it as a cheat. Stupid game engine limitations. :(

Could someone upload as attachment an example of the console that supposedly goes through all ships ingame ? Because if one number somewhere is missing I don't get it -circling through ships, just if I write the name of a specific ship that works.
Attached works. I just tested it in my WIP 16 install.
Press F12, go to worldmap, then back and you'll have the first ship. Press again, to worldmap and back to sea, to see the second.
And so on and so on.

Sold the ships. sailed to different islands, shuffled the officers around, bought a random ship, and it still has the same flags as before. :shrug Does this happen to anyone else?
WAAAA???? STILL??? Did you get round to using that console code I posted? I know that DOES restore the ship to your own flags; I tested it on your own savegame.
Loaded the savegame, press F12, hoist Dutch flag and close the interface, then hoist Personal Flag again and I got the blue sparrow flag on your companion too.

Attachments

• console.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 107
Well, I sold that other ship and sailed around by myself for a while. Joined a battle between some French and some Pirates. Everybody had the correct sails and the battle went well. The French did not surrender for a change and eventually the Pirate flagship did surrender. Again all flags worked as they were supposed to. I captured that flagship and found that it obeyed orders and now the flags work like they are supposed to. So all appears to be back to normal again.

Yes, I did apply your little doodad yesterday.

Still crazy though. Once I post the next version, keep an eye out for more such craziness.

STILL, eh? But then how come I did see that very ship with the flag you want?
I KNOW I saw it; I can make a screenshot if need be too. o_O

Anyway, I changed some stuff for WIP 17, so we'll find out if it still does that.

Attached works. I just tested it in my WIP 16 install.
Press F12, go to worldmap, then back and you'll have the first ship. Press again, to worldmap and back to sea, to see the second.
And so on and so on.

That's one of the greatest things uploaded on these forums :D:beer::thumbs1

p.s. If I have a pistol and a blunderbus, I fire the pistol with Q - but the blunderbus ?

ENGINE 2013-08-19 20-00-52-45.jpg

Last edited:
:shrug I bought a 3rd ship last night and now all 3 ships have flags and the national flags work properly. But I use my personal flag and they use their personal flag. They both use the same flag too.

Back