• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

In theory it should be good I hope you will like it too and it works in practice too. Maybe the parameters for the events should be put back to once in 2 months but I think it can be once a month now but I'd like feedback about that.

I haven't tried this yet and it will take many hours to form a decent opinion, but I must say that the base economy has to be stable enough to make long range plans. I am tired of sailing from island to island looking for someone who can buy my goods and also allow me to make an actual profit.

Smuggling can not happen until there is a reasonable chance that it will be successful. It sucks to lose a lot of money smuggling in addition to all the other problems like battles that you need to go through especially considering how long it takes to gather up enough money to buy enough cargo to fill your holds.

This should make the economy pretty stable. My guess is it should take about 4 to 5 months now for an economy to change at least. Upping the value for events to 2 months will probally make the economy stable for about a year in most cases. I will tweak some other values also tomorrow probally and will try to test it out a bit myself too.
Maybe I will add a few events which don't affect economy but only people or gold so that would reduce the change of the other things happening also.

Once and only once I took 2 Spanish ships by boarding. After taking the first one it and my ship bore my flag after taking the second one all the ships in my squadr0n bore the Spanish flag.
The flags might still be doing weird things on occasion. Or did the ships ACTUALLY change to Spanish?

I am not really sure. I sailed into Santiago and was fired upon flying Spanish flags, but the ships were clearly recognized as English.

Last edited:
:rumgone It happened again! I finally managed to save enough money to fill my holds and bought a load of linen for Santo Domingo. It was an import item. When I got there it turns out it is contraband! :rumgone

:rumgone It gets better. I talked to the smugglers and arranged a deal, went there and was told I have no contraband to sell! :rumgone This has never happened to me before....

:rumgone The saga continues! I sailed to Port au Prince to sell the linen with a Spanish RAA frigate chasing me all the way. Only my ships ability to sail deeper into the wind saved me. Then I had the privilege of selling my cargo for less than the listed price and taking a loss. :rumgone This economic theory is chaotic and anarchistic and completely broken. I want the old system back. :rumgone

Last edited:
Well probably that made you even a larger profit then didn't it ;)?
And ofcourse it could still happen sometimes. But it shouldn't happen to often.

I can see a problem with contraband. Was that not always island-specific? Rather than town-specific?
So when you talk to the smugglers, would they know to check the appropriate TOWN?
That might be why the smugglers are claiming Hylie didn't have any contraband on board.

I tested it with smugglers and till now it always worked for me ..
The goods are always updated for both the island and the store.
The store is set if you talk to the smuggler by this code:
Code:
int curStoreIdx = GetCharacterCurrentStore(_refCharacter);
So that should be right too. I haven't changed anything in it and like I said for me it worked. I tried about 3 smuggling runs and didn't had any problem with it.
Only thing I can think of is that the economy changed and hylie didn't visit the shop yet so his tradebook wasn't updated. But that would mean the economy had to be changed during this smuggle run.... That's very unlikely altough it's worth adding a check for it if the smuggle run is active no goods should be changed.

Do you maybe have a savegame before you talk to the smugglers?

I still don't get the fuss about the prices changing. this happened before also. I can show the current price in the tradebooks but that would be unrealistic. The way the prices change is something I haven't touched. I only changed the influence of some things. I could tweak these values a bit more.
I've done about 10 to 15 cargo hauls now without any problems .... but then again a normal cargo run for me takes a few days cause the time just goes way to slow on direct sail. especially in arcade mode. Also if I use the worldmap it only takes a few days to get where I want.

"Only thing I can think of is that the economy changed and hylie didn't visit the shop yet so his tradebook wasn't updated."

Bingo! It often takes six months or more to get back to a store unless I'm just bouncing back and forth between two stores. A trip from Cartagena to Havana can take 30 days and even two close stores can take weeks. My information is normally 1-8 months out of date meaning the menus are also that far out of date. And when you factor in that 1-4 colonies get destroyed every month it means that any kind of normal economy is impossible.

The only viable methods to make money are to just haul merchant cargo or go totally pirate. Smuggling is impossible and I don't even attempt it.

Should perhaps the economy change frequency change whether you use the Open Sea Mod or not?
That would make trips last much longer and make this a problem. Right?

yeah it seems that has to be included.
I will look at it tomorrow. Then you will get some tweaked files etc.
But Open sea mod is always on right?
What things are changed when you go to iron man mode.
And @Hylie Pistof are there any settings you change from the basic game?
Maybe it should for example just look at the time compression or somethig like that. I just need to know what to look at and scale it to.

But Open sea mod is always on right?
No, it's not. DirectSail (allowing travel between islands in 3D sailing mode) is. The Open Sea Mod just increases the distance between islands while using DirectSail.
The latter is OFF by default, but ON in Iron Man Mode. There is a separate toggle at the top if InternalSettings.h as well.

Some more fixes:
- Includes the fix for the fetch quest
- Added EVENT_CHANCE_OPEN_MULT which is set on 3 by default. This one multiplies the amount of days it takes by this value if the open sea mod is active.
- Tweaked some of the event values a bit
- Gold will be now extra cheap if it's found, this wont show up in the trade book tough ;)
- Tweaked the import/export goods a bit. Everything is now at least possible as import or export somewhere.
- Made a check to see if there are hostile monsters created and if so then no encounters (like rapers) will be created. This will make the chance of a ambush smaller but it will still happen
- Added a dialog option for the captain of a boarded ship. If you say to be civilized about it he will offer you to unlock 3 different perks (you can only choose 1 each time).
- Locked these 3 perks at the start.

@Pieter Boelen I think this is the last I will contribute this week cause I wont have much time anymore. So for me this are the final files for 3.2 if you ask me.
If a really large bug is found I will ofc try to fix it in time.

Attachments

• LAST FIXES 2.zip
    141 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
- Added EVENT_CHANCE_OPEN_MULT which is set on 3 by default. This one multiplies the amount of days it takes by this value if the open sea mod is active.
Just a thought: Perhaps this can be replaced by just reusing the ENCOUNTERBREAK value? That one is 1.0 with Open Sea Mod off and 3.0 with it on.

I think this should about do it:
Code:
  //Add a check to see if a smuggeling quest is active
   bool nosmuggle = true;
   if(CheckAttribute(Pchar, "quest.Contraband.Active"))
   {
     if(Pchar.quest.Contraband.Active) nosmuggle = false;
   }
   //Check if we can launch an event.
   if((day + (EVENT_PER_DAYS*ENCOUNTERBREAK)) < yeardays || nosmuggle) //Add a multiplier for the OPEN SEA MOD
EDIT:
Is nosmuggle not nearly always true? If I understand your code correctly, should that last line not be this instead?
Code:
if((day + (EVENT_PER_DAYS*ENCOUNTERBREAK)) < yeardays && nosmuggle)
Right?

I make no changes to the game but play it as delivered.

This is interesting as it seems the Caribbean is full of English fleets. It seems those fleets always consist of at least three large warships. I am at level 12 and still in a single fluyt, and am still far from making my first million, but it seems to be easier than it was.
beta3 2014-05-11 21-11-37-23.jpg

I think this should about do it:
Code:
  //Add a check to see if a smuggeling quest is active
   bool nosmuggle = true;
   if(CheckAttribute(Pchar, "quest.Contraband.Active"))
   {
     if(Pchar.quest.Contraband.Active) nosmuggle = false;
   }
   //Check if we can launch an event.
   if((day + (EVENT_PER_DAYS*ENCOUNTERBREAK)) < yeardays || nosmuggle) //Add a multiplier for the OPEN SEA MOD
EDIT:
Is nosmuggle not nearly always true? If I understand your code correctly, should that last line not be this instead?
Code:
if((day + (EVENT_PER_DAYS*ENCOUNTERBREAK)) < yeardays && nosmuggle)
Right?
right

Back