• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

Since you all are talking about economy, I noticed that if you go to the island of Nevis at around level 5 in a ship with over 100 crew, you could go to the pirate settlement, land troops, only have to kill 4 near-your-level enemies then get 2 million gold (the first time) :shock which if used wisely can cause you to basically have a feel in the game like you may as well have used cheats. just saying...
I have noticed the Nevis pirate settlement's vulnerability as well, Is it the only place where you can simply land troops to take a town without having to batter a fort into submission first? Its not exactly much of a port, but 4 defenders does seem a little light, especially with 2 million gold waiting! xD:

Good timing! It just so happens that I got my fist 10-10 a few hours ago. I was being chased by a class 3 fast galleon for hours and just barely limped into port. Only a heroic effort by the Indiaman kept me from getting sunk. The screenie doesn't show all of the missing masts. Anyway, I got massive repair points there.

You are probably that good, or more likely I'm that bad. In Tales of a Chevalier I never could even get off the beach. :wp But it's true that it's a good idea to go for it early on. I try to do that too. But not right off the boat! :shock: I'm still getting killed at level 20. I just finished doing Claire LaRousse and

died a bunch of times. You might breeze right through it.

Yeah, you mentioned Nevis in another thread. The capture colony part is a whole other beast. You are supposed to get big rewards methinks. I believe Nevis starts out with only a few people at first and gets bigger over time.

Hylie, if you have 2.8 million gold, you should be able to afford all the item-enhancing items which will make most (if not all) of those skills become 10, but idk, plus it also depends on the difficulty you're playing on.

I choose not to use those cheats. I use the cheap compass and clock until I reach Captain skill level 3, then get the good ones. Right now the only things I'm using are a scale for commerce because inaccurate scales were a problem then and are still a problem today, and the doctors kit because it reduces casualties. It is a great temptation to use those items at first when things are so desperate, but later they are not needed.

That repair skill really went up fast. It probably went up 2 levels during that battle and the Caravel was still only up to 9% hull strength when I dropped anchor.

The capture colony part is a whole other beast. You are supposed to get big rewards methinks. I believe Nevis starts out with only a few people at first and gets bigger over time.

tommy, you could also have been lucky and there was an event like indians attack, malaria or similar, which reduces the garrison. Could you have a look into the ship's log. please? But first please visit a tavern and ask for news to get an updated ship's log (this does only apply, if you're using Patch 7 WIP, of course).

thanks for the screenshot. can you also tell me the difficulty you were playing on and your plotline? i'll be collecting such things from a variety of people so i can get an idea of how much the skill increase ratios need tweaking. amusingly, it's very obvious how much your playstyle differs from mine. i'm still below level 10 and my melee and grappling skills are already higher than yours.

another vulerable port might be willemstad on curacao, but i haven't checked. i think that place just counts as a beach, and not as an actual part of the town like it does with nevis.

Yeah, there is room here for a wide variety of styles. Or lack thereof. :)) I'm playing the Sea Hawk line at swashbuckler level with almost no tweaks.

My melee skill was at level 3 after the tutorial before I ever set foot on land. It's hard to get better when you are always dying. And grappling? I just finished a 3 on 2 fight where we put well over a thousand rounds into a xebec when I decided to board her. Yup, We all got slaughtered.........:ko

Oh, the four barrel pistols are now very common. Not the mercenary pistol, but the regular one.

I dunno. It's not xp. I'm getting 1 point added to my sailing skill every 1 1/2 to 2 hours sailing with no time compression.

Yeah this is very much true. If using the 'rpg' skill system, XP has no relation to your skill levels(just char level and HP) - ever! I'm wondering if having a 'navigator' as an active officer reduces your skill increase in the sailing skill maybe?

And i figured out my crash issue, i hadn't run the 'runme.bat' file after installing Patch 6! silly me, now i just need to work out why all the weapons/just the guns have dissapeared in either of the few initItems.c i've been trying to use, it's never easy is it ;)

One other thing, has anyone else seen the in-game location loading screens vanish?(like 'shore', 'deck' etc) I just get a blank black screen with the spinning 'loading' coin! I get the 'start new game' one, but inside the game they are all gone.

Edit: re the missing loading screens. If doing a patch 6 + patch 7 wip 2 build, you will be missing the file 'English' inside ....\RESOURCE\Textures\Loading - so you need to copy that folder(from someplace else/backup/patch 7 wip 1?) over into that directory.

in InternalSettings.h:

line 233:
#define FIRE_ANGLE_SCALAR_W 1.1 - should be 1.0 when using real cannons mode!(this is not new to patch 7, it's been like this for a while!)

I don't..........think...........officers do that. What a good sailor does is bump your sailing skill up, making you advance slower. Early in this game I picked up Artois Voisey and he pumped me up to a skill level 5 Captain. So I went and bought a class 5 Indiaman and made him Captain of it. Then I dropped back to class 6. When it takes 150 hours in direct sail to make another level it hardly seems worth it.

LOL! That and installing Swiftshader are the two most common problems when installing POTC. I'm really really really looking forward to beta 2 just to clear that up.

One other thing, has anyone else seen the in-game location loading screens vanish?(like 'shore', 'deck' etc) I just get a blank black screen with the spinning 'loading' coin! I get the 'start new game' one, but inside the game they are all gone.

Edit: re the missing loading screens. If doing a patch 6 + patch 7 wip 2 build, you will be missing the file 'English' inside ....\RESOURCE\Textures\Loading - so you need to copy that folder(from someplace else/backup/patch 7 wip 1?) over into that directory.
It shouldn't be doing that!?! :shock

It shouldn't be doing that!?! :shock

True in the patch 6 file you have the full 'English' folder and in patch 7 wip 2 you have the folder but with just one addition 'Inside_PirateResidence_IslaMona.tga.tx'. So yeah i shouldn't have had that 'English' folder missing! Like Hylie says, it will be a happy day when we are on beta 2 and these kind of things can't happen ;)

the game just stopped working entirely for me. it started doing this after i tried to fix normal sailing music playing in seabatlles (a rare occurence) by clicking my name to start a new soundtrack, which caused a CTD. logs show absolutely nothing except for this:

system:
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 180 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 66241827 ticks.

compile:
Gauging: StartGauging
Gauging: starting init
Gauging: interface
==> BuildSettings: Sets to default

What if you remove the "options" file? And otherwise maybe empty the "SAVE" folder also?

That has happened to me too. Armada seems to think the options folder collects junk files until it crashes, so needs to be reinstalled periodically.

To anyone playing with Patch 7 WIP 2 and still encountering spinning in storms occasionally, please try this.
In PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c find:
Code:
		// rotate impulse
// NK -->
/*float fRotate = stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y) + (frnd() * 0.08 - 0.04);
if (fRotate > 0.07) { fRotate = 0.07; }
if (fRotate < -0.07) { fRotate = -0.07; }*/
float fRotate = stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y);
if(frnd() < 0.5)
{
if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))
{
arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = arCharShip.stormimp;
DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");
}
}
else
{
if(!CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))
{
switch(rand(9))
{
case 0: arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate; fRotate -= 0.02; break;
case 1: arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate; fRotate += 0.02; break; // PB: Not just to port
}
arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = fRotate;
}
}
// NK <--
Replace with:
Code:
		// rotate impulse
// NK -->
/*float fRotate = stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y) + (frnd() * 0.08 - 0.04);
if (fRotate > 0.07) { fRotate = 0.07; }
if (fRotate < -0.07) { fRotate = -0.07; }*/
float fRotate = stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y);
if(frnd() < 0.5)
{
if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))
{
arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = arCharShip.stormimp;
DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");
}
}
else
{
if(!CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))
{
switch(rand(9))
{
case 0: arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate; fRotate -= 0.01; break;
case 1: arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate; fRotate += 0.01; break; // PB: Not just to port
}
arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = fRotate;
}
}
// NK <--
This replaces the values of 0.02 with 0.01 and therefore hopefully decreases the spinning effect even more.
Please let me know if you still completely lose control of your ship with these values.

Ah! Good timing. I was finally able to upgrade away from the caravels and am now sailing an Indiaman. Just got into my first storm with it and it is better than the caravel, but still a handfull. The ships are basically not doing anything and then zooming off into a hard turn that you may or may not be able to stop.

Will test this change soonest. :dance

Back