• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

Sulan says he's working on his files again, so I suppose we'll just wait until that's released and then we'll see.

As for the storm code, I'll see about rewriting that sensibly tomorrow. Today I started out with an experiment related to the storm rotate code,
but then that experiment met with a lot of success that didn't have anything to do with storms: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/15276-baltimore-steam-propulsion-laboratory/page__view__findpost__p__410399 :cheeky
So tomorrow I'm hoping to meet with a lot of success that DOES have something to do with storms. :wp

I reckon this is really quite cool!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/images/progress-on-steam-propulsion

Yeah it's just a small chance within the rand function, you don't want to spin out of control all the time! My code for that section mirrors the commented out code above(line 4534 and 4535) so is = 0.02 for the positive and = -0.02 for the negative. After a number of test runs between that and the code you posted above it just seemed to work more reasonably(less likely to get a stuck in spin situation after the storm), but i haven't tested it recently to comment on it more.
I rewrote all the code for the storm rotate inpulse. Does this make any sense to you?
Code:
// PB: Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse -->
float fRotate = stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y);							// Read the rotate impulse the ship already has
if(!CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))	arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate;	// If not being pushed, store the rotate impulse before the push
// Else the ship is already being pushed
switch(rand(9))																// 2-in-10 chance the any of the first two actions happens
{
case 0: fRotate -= 0.02; break;											// Take the original rotate impulse and push a bit either way
case 1: fRotate += 0.02; break;											// Not just to port
fRotate = arCharShip.stormimp;											// Else set the impulse to what it was before the storm push
DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");									// Remove it because the ship is not being pushed either way by the storm anymore
}
arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = fRotate;										// Apply the new rotate impulse to the ship, which may include a storm push
}
else																			// If the storm has ended
{
if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip, "stormimp"))									// And if the ship is still having a storm push, eg. there is a stored rotate impulse
{
arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = arCharShip.stormimp;						// Set the impulse to what it was before the storm push, eg. stop her turning
DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");									// Remove it because the ship is no longer in the storm
}
}
// PB: Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse <--
With this code, the rotate impulse is always being removed at the end of a storm. It does take into account the rotate impulse before the storm push and can still do a double push.
My test outside a storm did make my ship veer of course, but didn't have her lose control completely at any point. Worth a try?

I've been distracted for a couple of days and will try this storm thingy now.

Baste: I've been using your thingy but not enough to have a valid opinion yet.

EDIT: Pieter, I tried to add your storm stuff and got a ctd. what did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot! I'm adding your latest file to my game and see what happens when I release Patch 7.
Personally I never encountered instant death, but that's because I never played it to find out. :eek:ops2
Well, you have been busy, haven't you? :) I hope the problem is gone now.

I know it looks weird, but I suspect that the idea is that there is a 2-in-9 chance of being rotated.
Yeah it's just a small chance within the rand function, you don't want to spin out of control all the time!
Ah, I see.

Hylie Pistoff and Black Bart: Nice! I really do hope that it's gone now.

.....Hylie Pistoff and Black Bart: Nice! I really do hope that it's gone now.

I'll see if i can get some game testing down the week(busy with work currently) and report back, i've become pretty good at seeing the problem(as you know!) so should be able to tell reasonably quickly how it stacks up :)

@Pieter, i'm going to copy that new segment of code into my AIships.c file(commenting out the current code of course!) and will go storm-hunting and report back, as with Baste it may take longer than normal, but i'm keen to see what you have created :sail

Now all we need focus on is the GA issue ;)

For the purpose of promoting our modding efforts, please see here:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18259-piratesahoy-community-facebook-page

Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 Available!
Massive improvements to game stability, difficulty, balancing and economy are combined with some cool new features, such as new ships (Queen Anne's Revenge!),
the Ship Log Interface and improved Steamships, together with the old Maltese Knight Abbey being restored full functionality.

Full Version: To be installed on top of Build 14 Beta 1 Full

Download: (670 MB)
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Installation:
1 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Full, following the instructions in the installer and allow it to run RunMe.bat
2 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 Full to your main game folder
3 - Run Rename.bat in your main game folder
4 - OPTIONAL: Tweak the controls and the game's settings to your liking in the Options menu
5 - Start a new game, select a storyline and ENJOY! :woot

Light Version: To be installed on top of Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6

Download: (265 MB)
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Installation:
1 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Full, following the instructions in the installer and allow it to run RunMe.bat
2 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6 to your main game folder
3 - Run Rename.bat in your main game folder

4 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 Light to your main game folder
5 - Remove the file "options" from your main game folder
6 - OPTIONAL: Tweak the controls and the game's settings to your liking in the Options menu
7 - Start a new game, select a storyline and ENJOY!

Includes:
HTML:
- Bug Fixes:
. New attempted fix for CTDs due to allied characters being assigned to Sea AI groups by Pieter Boelen
. Attempted fix for CTDs due to having a lot of DirectSail encounters by Pieter Boelen
. Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse by Pieter Boelen
This should fix ships turning out of control during or after storms
. "Oily" water fix by Cpt. Bruce Havoc
. Stuck on boarding bug fixed by Talisman
. Corrected the "can't sell ship in shipyard bug" by Sulan
. No more random characters in tavern rooms by Pieter Boelen
. Aruba and Hispaniola tavern rooms fixed by Captain Maggee
. Corrected tradebook islands quantity in sort order (20 instead of 19) by Sulan
. Cut island name "Santa María de Guadalupe de Extremadura" to "Santa María de Guadalupe" to fit interface by Sulan
. Ghost Ammo fix updated by Jack Rackham
. Pirate promotion reward code fixed by Aviator543
. Passengers Interface empty officer picture fixed for the Brown Interface by Pieter Boelen
- New and Improved Functionality
. Better Economy
> Implemented basic self-developing town economy (WIP: still to be adjusted) by Sulan
> Implemented random town events ("Malaria strikes Guadeloupe ...") with influence on economy, town size, troop size, town gold etc. by Sulan
> Tweaks for items (lower prices in general) by Black Bart
> Item realism mode (no skill bonuses for rubies, etc.) by Black Bart
> Advanced Option button on the above by Sulan
> Reduced the amount of gold carried by crewmen/officers, etc. by Sulan
> Updated goods' prices (general increase) to better balance items' prices vs. goods' prices by Sulan
> Decreased prices for silver & gold a bit by Sulan
> Decreased the influence of good availability (quantity) vs townsize on price, reducing trading profits and thereby trade mission profits by Sulan
> Trade missions make more sense now (not exporting import goods and vice versa) by Sulan
> Mutiny as a result of much gold carried is now based on reputation and much less likely for a honest trader than for a pirate by Sulan
> Ship balancing and prices modified by Black Bart
. Ship's Log Interface by Sulan
> Automatically generated log entries for sea battles including a record of plundered goods and gold
> Automatically generated log entries for promotions, marriage
> Automatically generated log entries for nation relation changes and random town events
> Automatically generated log entries for goods and item trades, including the net profit/loss
> Automatically generated log entries for ship repairs, upgrades and cannon installations
> Automatically generated log entries for loans and deposits
> You have to talk to tavern keeps to update information on nation relation changes and town events in the ship's log
> You can write and save custom log entries (Notes)
> You can filter log entries by the categories "General", "Battle", "Ship", "Personal" and "Notes"
> Includes statistics on kills, sunk and captured ships
. Simplified Advanced Options menu
> Several options removed, the rest reordered and categorized by Pieter Boelen
> Updated to show more options at once by Sulan
. Added configurable hotkey to show archipelago map (default: M) from anywhere in the game by Sulan
. Added the powder barrel and the ammunition bag including game mechanics (24 shots) by Sulan
. Possibility added to score critical hits with guns by Baste
. Additional weapons added from Russian Mod for Period Weapons mod by Bartolomeu o Portugues
Weapon pictures mismatch fixed by Pieter Boelen
. Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey restored to full functionality by Pieter Boelen
. Simplified Time Compression Controls by Pieter Boelen
[R] will speed up time in steps from 1x to 3x, 10x and 30x and [G] slows things down again from 30x to 10x, 3x and back to 1x
. Steam Ships wind-independent propulsion and sound effects added by Pieter Boelen
Press Numpad [+] to increase engine power and Numpad [-] to decrease engine power. Numpad [*] sets power to zero
[WIP: Engine does not require any fuel and cannot be damaged]
. [L] button also toggles the Date & Time Display at the top of the screen by Pieter Boelen
- Code Updates:
. Improved sea colour by Tom Darkwood and Armada
. Storm sail damage decreased to compensate for longer storms by Armada
. Critical Hit code rewritten by Baste
. Fists damage calculations further improved by Baste
. Professional fencer damage decreased as per the ability description by Baste
. Ability descriptions and order enhanced by Baste
. Camera height at sea on ship deck restored to stock default by Baste
. Decreased sailing experience with Auto Skill System OFF by Black Bart
. Updated and fixed Rumours by Morgan Terror
. Improved Item Names and Descriptions by Morgan Terror
. Weapons without quality no longer break by Pieter Boelen
. Wind strength log removed except in ports, on shores and the player ship deck or at sea when you don't have a compass by Pieter Boelen
. Reload to jetty in port on Fast Travel in all stock game based towns by Pieter Boelen
. SHIP_INTERFACE_SCREENSHOTS toggle added to ships_init.c by Pieter Boelen [WIP: Option to be moved to InternalSettings/Advanced Options]
. About Build Interface updated by Armada and Pieter Boelen [WIP: Not done yet]
- Storyline updates:
. Padre Domingues quest fix by Captain Maggee
. Bartolomeu storyline custom start screen restored by Pieter Boelen
. Assassin storyline Period Weapons set by Bartolomeu o Portugues
. Bartolomeu storyline Period Weapons set by Bartolomeu o Portugues
. Bartolomeu storyline Isla Mona Residence loading screen replaced by Bartolomeu o Portugues
. Standard storyline Period Weapons set by Bartolomeu o Portugues
. Teague Sparrow renamed to Edward Teague as per his actual name by Pieter Boelen
. Tia Dalma character model added by Damski
- Texture updates:
. Cleaned up Fast Travel icons by Baste
. "Land Owner" ability texture in unselected state improved by Baste
. Updated hull and sail blots by Armada
. Increased detail on deck crew by Armada
. Empty sea texture updated by Armada
. Ship deck textures updated by Armada
. Updated sail textures by Armada
- Ship Model Updates:
. Queen Anne's Revenge from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides added
Model by Bonjourmonami, updated by Armada, Textures by Legendary Spider, Walk file by Craiggo
. Caravela Redonda high-detail custom model added by pgargon
. HMS Revenge high-detail custom model added by Nightwatcher, textures by Craiggo
. US Constution and HMS Victory unique versions added by Armada
. Flying Dutchman model replaced with more movie-accurate repaint of Cursed Dutchman by Armada
. Many ships rigging improved by Hylie Pistoff
Strung ropes all over the place and cut some new sails, flags and pennants for the older ships.
This started out as a project to make the older POTC ships look better then evolved into an effort to reduce the Graphic Anomalies (GA).
Visually most of the ships have more ropes and better sails which makes them look more realistic and less "empty". It's the difference in GA that is most important.
Visually the Luggers only have a pennant added, but they are the most important ships because they were causing most of the GA.
All of the ships in POTC have been looked at from the Naval Cutters to the Man O' Wars. The smaller ships got the most attention with the Light Frigates being changed the most.
. Boat in port scene reverse lighting fixed by Armada

I have beta 1 patch 6... Will the light version still work? It says to patch over beta 1 patch 5...

I suspect Pieter meant to say "to be installed on top of Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6"... so yes, the light version will work fine. :cheeky

Yes! I installed the light version on top of a patch 6 install and it is working fine.

Stinks that I have to keep patch 6 because I have to keep my old save until Short Jack Gold can resolve a quest-line bug... (I'm essentially the test rat, lol)

Copy your full game folder, then put Patch 7 on the original and keep the copy for testing. :doff

Read the full announcement on the Patch 7 release on the PiratesAhoy! main page:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/New-Horizons-Mod/build-14-beta-1-patch-7-available.html
This includes a brief overview of the main new features, including screenshots.

This has been submitted to the ModDB, along with the downloads themselves, but that is all still awaiting authorization.

I can't reinstall the game into another folder, the disc knows if you have the basic game files anywhere on your computer... :modding

Try changing the directory your desktop shortcut goes to when it starts the game. Then you can force it to use the files from a different game folder.

Armada, that's not the problem, the problem is, that even if I move the files, unless I uninstall them, the computer knows I already have it on there and will tell the CD whenever I run setup via the CD to run the uninstallation process...

You can take your game folder and just copy it; I do it all the time. I've got literally 20 game installation side-by-side on my external HD.

On another note, we've made it onto the ModDB main page again! http://www.moddb.com
(Have a look before we've shifted off again... :facepalm )

Back