• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Alpha 10 Work In Progress

I have a BIG, BIG problem....
I have installed Alpha 10 WIP on top of patch 4
And i started the hornblower quest, got until the lieutenants exams, but when I enter the academy,
(after chadd tells me to go upstairs) and foster talks to me, says "Well if it isn't Pellew's young upstart"
then chadd appears at the door, but he doesn't approach me, but neither can I speak to him.
What's going on????
It would seem the dialog has skipped. You are in "actor" mode when you first enter the room (which is why you can't move), so the dialog for some reason has jumped to the end of the scene. I have just replayed this several times but I cannot replicate the problem.
All the dialog in this scene is accompanied by "voice" dialog of the characters from the film, so don't rush through it.
Chadd appears after you hear a cannon fire.

Do you have an error log of this section?

I have a BIG, BIG problem....
I have installed Alpha 10 WIP on top of patch 4
And i started the hornblower quest, got until the lieutenants exams, but when I enter the academy,
(after chadd tells me to go upstairs) and foster talks to me, says "Well if it isn't Pellew's young upstart"
then chadd appears at the door, but he doesn't approach me, but neither can I speak to him.
What's going on????
It would seem the dialog has skipped. You are in "actor" mode when you first enter the room (which is why you can't move), so the dialog for some reason has jumped to the end of the scene. I have just replayed this several times but I cannot replicate the problem.
All the dialog in this scene is accompanied by "voice" dialog of the characters from the film, so don't rush through it.
Chadd appears after you hear a cannon fire.

Do you have an error log of this section?

I don't rush through the voice dialog, after all it's a good feature, but after he finishes his sentence, i press space to continue
but i don't hear any cannonfire, and chadd just appears at the door and dows't move .... how do i get the error log? the game does not crash...

http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/topic/9234-setting-error-logs-for-potc-bugtesting/ :doff

Tell you what, can it be the original install of the POTC which makes the problem... the original without any builds installes... I mean
I intalled POTC to my portable hard disk,
then I installed Build 13
then I installed Build 14 alpha 9
then I installed Build 14 alpha 9.5, then patch 4, then 10 wip
maybe I did something wrong???

oh and tell you something else,
the most weird thing in my problem is that if I exit the Naval HQ
and go to the port, or check my character status, the ship i'm currently
commandeering is the "fire ship", a corvette... and I have the Indy, and the Justinian
in my fleet... very weird....

Ok thanks Jack, maybe I will try it in the Patch 4 version, do you think that is working? Or direct sail in the WIP version?

Hey jason, um I might be able to help you with tha, i did encounter this problem too... so the thing that you
could do is "sail the north side of guadeloupe" which means that guide your ship from the map to the norther side of guadeloupe then, when your sailor shouts land ho, press space to go to sea, then press f3 to go to the map and continue towards the far most eastern side of martinique, (near the east opening) and press space, the sailors
will shout oorah and the in the go to menu your target will be the first....
good luck, and be smart because she always takes down my middle mast and runs off... pretty embarassing i should say.

Ok thanks Jack, maybe I will try it in the Patch 4 version, do you think that is working? Or direct sail in the WIP version?

Hey jason, um I might be able to help you with tha, i did encounter this problem too... so the thing that you
could do is "sail the north side of guadeloupe" which means that guide your ship from the map to the norther side of guadeloupe then, when your sailor shouts land ho, press space to go to sea, then press f3 to go to the map and continue towards the far most eastern side of martinique, (near the east opening) and press space, the sailors
good luck, and be smart because she always takes down my middle mast and runs off... pretty embarassing i should say.
Harris is correct for the solution here.
However I have removed that requirement for the next update. (Too many people missed it: "We shall sail to the north side of Guadeloupe. Then set a course of WSW as we pass." - It was meant to encourage Direct Sailing).
You can go to FdF anyway you like now and the Volcano will be there.

Jason, I think is suffering a different problem, not being in the correct place after the Pellew video.
I have spent to much time on that now, with no better result, so I have removed that from the next update as well.

So all you will need to do in the next update is sail from Charlestown to FdF anyway you like, and the Volcano will be there.

Harris is correct for the solution here.
However I have removed that requirement for the next update. (Too many people missed it: "We shall sail to the north side of Guadeloupe. Then set a course of WSW as we pass." - It was meant to encourage Direct Sailing).
You can go to FdF anyway you like now and the Volcano will be there.

Jason, I think is suffering a different problem, not being in the correct place after the Pellew video.
I have spent to much time on that now, with no better result, so I have removed that from the next update as well.

So all you will need to do in the next update is sail from Charlestown to FdF anyway you like, and the Volcano will be there.

That'll be great although i prefer direct sailing
and I did that tweak that peter linked me to for the error log and I got a whole load of files
what should I do next
some of them are :
quests_reaction.b
QuestLocations.b
Lt. Chadd_dialog.b
initQuestItems.b
stuff like that....

That'll be great although i prefer direct sailing
and I did that tweak that peter linked me to for the error log and I got a whole load of files
what should I do next
some of them are :
quests_reaction.b
QuestLocations.b
Lt. Chadd_dialog.b
initQuestItems.b
stuff like that....
When you make your next post, (below where you type in your reply), you will see an attachment section.
Browse your PoTC directory for the error file and attach it to the post.
I have shown a compile log here, as an example, as I don't have any errors running at the moment.

The .b files are generated if you enable a bit too much with error logging.
This is all you should need:
Code:
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 0
Jason noted two problems:
1. Volcano does not appear
2. After the speech, you're not at the correct worldmap position

For #2, I think that quest reload to sea somehow messes up the worldmap position.
What if you make the speech movie trigger upon going to worldmap instead?
I *think* it should also trigger upon a DirectSail reload if you do that.

The .b files are generated if you enable a bit too much with error logging.
This is all you should need:
Code:
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 0

For #2, I think that quest reload to sea somehow messes up the worldmap position.
To be honest with you peter the same thing happens with me at 10 wip
i am half way from jamaica to martinique, isn't that jason's problem?
if it is I solve it as I said above

Both Jason's problems are related to not knowing where you are on the MAP after the video.
I have been able to replicate that. (many times!).
Quest reload to sea does mess things up - so I did a direct board, then video on goto MAP.
The same problem occurred, you got to see with no island in sight. On going to the MAP, I was transported to Jamaica.
As mentioned above - I have removed the video call for now, and the game works fine, and the Volcano is there.

Maybe later we can revisit this, as it did work in the past, but for now it is a game stopper.

well, i found the compile thing and i am attaching it.
hope you can find the problem for me....

[attachment=3756:compile.log]

i am waiting...
So you didn't have an error log?
From your compile file it didn't find the "Hammond" character.
Was he in the room?
Suggest you go back to an earlier save and replay it and see what happens.

well, i found the compile thing and i am attaching it.
hope you can find the problem for me....

[attachment=3756:compile.log]

i am waiting...
So you didn't have an error log?
From your compile file it didn't find the "Hammond" character.
Was he in the room?
Suggest you go back to an earlier save and replay it and see what happens.

I have done this over and over again, i have even started all over, installed it from top
and nothing... and no there is no hammond character, just foster, and the captain sitting but his name is not hammond.

No video call and a manual reload? But if the video starts when ON the worldmap,
like the opening of the standard storyline, the worldmap can't mess up AFTER that, can it???

No video call and a manual reload? But if the video starts when ON the worldmap,
like the opening of the standard storyline, the worldmap can't mess up AFTER that, can it???
If I understand you correctly, then yes I'm afraid it can.

I had tried this:
Talk to Pellew - go to end of dock - manually board ship - at sea (Justinian is present as should be) - goto MAP - video starts and plays - video ends - back to sea - no island in sight, and sail to only offers the Justinian as an option - on goto MAP - transported to Jamaica.

I have done this over and over again, i have even started all over, installed it from top
and nothing... and no there is no hammond character, just foster, and the captain sitting but his name is not hammond.
The sitting one is Harvey - O.K. then do this:
Using Notepad++ open the File: PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\Characters\init\Story.c
(If you are using regular Notepad Hammond is the fourth character down from the top.)

at line 116 You should see:
Code:
ch.old.name = "Black Charlie";
ch.old.lastname = "Hammond";
ch.name = TranslateString("","Black Charlie");
ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Hammond");
ch.id		= "Black Charlie Hammond";

Do you?

I had tried this:
Talk to Pellew - go to end of dock - manually board ship - at sea (Justinian is present as should be) - goto MAP - video starts and plays - video ends - back to sea - no island in sight, and sail to only offers the Justinian as an option - on goto MAP - transported to Jamaica.
Remove the reload back to sea from worldmap. Once the video has played, you don't need to be auto-reloaded to sea anyway.
I strongly suspect that is what messes it up.

The sitting one is Harvey - O.K. then do this:
Using Notepad++ open the File: PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\Characters\init\Story.c
(If you are using regular Notepad Hammond is the fourth character down from the top.)

at line 116 You should see:
Code:
ch.old.name = "Black Charlie";
ch.old.lastname = "Hammond";
ch.name = TranslateString("","Black Charlie");
ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Hammond");
ch.id		= "Black Charlie Hammond";

Do you?

Yes i do, what should i do next??

Yes i do, what should i do next??
I think you MAY have a bad locator file (which we can fix).

Open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h
right at the bottom of that file you will see: (I have left out the notes at the end of the various lines).
Code:
// Testing toggles // ====================================== 
#define RANDOM_LOCS_TOGGLE				0 
#define DISARM_MODE						0 
#define VISIBLE_LOCATORS				0 
#define FREE_CAMERA						0 
#define UNLIMITEDLOOT					0
#define ENABLE_CHEATMODE				1
change it to:
Code:
// Testing toggles // ====================================== 
#define RANDOM_LOCS_TOGGLE				0 
#define DISARM_MODE						0 
#define VISIBLE_LOCATORS				1 
#define FREE_CAMERA						0 
#define UNLIMITEDLOOT					0		
#define ENABLE_CHEATMODE				1
Save it.
Load a saved game that starts before you enter the room. At some point you will see writing all over you screen.
These are the locator positions
You should see the visible locators now when you go into the room.
Can you see to the right of the desk:
goto
goto2 ?

Back