• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug [Build 14 1st Jan 2022]: Game crashes on entering ports like Willemstad, Grand Cayman, etc

Beatrice Devlin

Landlubber
Build Version: Saturday 1st January 2022 Build 14

1. Via global map sail to Cayman island.
2. Fast travel to port.
3. Once Port icon appears in the top left corner click F3 (or via Enter and select port)

Expected: main character appears in port location

Actual: Game crashes

Also crash happens on enter Willemstad port.

Reproducibility: 100%

Save file also attached, please remove .txt ending (without it wasn't able to upload)

Attachments

• system.log
    442 bytes · Views: 36
  • compile.log
    6.7 KB · Views: 37
  • error.log
    940 bytes · Views: 41
  • -=Player=- Open Sea August 12th, 1751 1.txt
    9 MB · Views: 49
How exactly did you install the game? While there are problems with the January 2022 installer, some of which are fixed by the 6th April 2023 update, I don't recall anything capable of producing the errors shown in "error.log".

Have you been able to enter any other ports successfully? In particular, try St. Pierre on Martinique. You'll need to fly a French flag, and if you've been near Martinique under a flag hostile to France then the fort might recognise you anyway.

You could also try landing at either Cayman Kai or Eden Rock on Cayman, then walk to town, and from there to the port.

Currently observed issue on 2 ports.
Have 1.03 with built-in russian translation, but also able to play with eng. Downloaded installer and final.tar file and installed.

Tried with Cayman and Willemstad this trick but didn't work. Game also crashed.

A bit different system.log when go to port from Cayman town. (game crashed). I assume I need to download somewhere valid version of game and install mod again.

There is an option to download 1.0 version Need Help - Where to find PoTC now?

but 1.03 patch still needed from somewhere....

Attachments

• error.log
    360 bytes · Views: 48
  • compile.log
    28.1 KB · Views: 37
  • system.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 38
Curious fact - if try to capture one of these ports and after a fort enter port - the game won't crash. Sounds like it tries to load some npc, etc and fails.

Does the below makes sense in any way? App crashed when tried to visit neighbour location of port in St. Pierre on Martinique. (visit port from sea crashed, from town not but when in town fast travel to port icon is not in the list of fast travel (shop, tavern, etc)

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
ERROR: Techniques: Find duplicate technique name: radeon8500sea
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 181 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 184383540 ticks.
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
Island Set
resource\models\items\\.gm: can't open geometry file
resource\models\items\\.gm: can't open geometry file
Character [Milon Blacque] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Orable Caron] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Gris Barthez] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Huon Marly] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Tancrede Rimbaud] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Pierre Biez] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Falaise De Fleur Soldier 03] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <0>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <1>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <2>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <3>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Milon Blacque] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Orable Caron] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Gris Barthez] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Huon Marly] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Tancrede Rimbaud] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Pierre Biez] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Falaise De Fleur Soldier 03] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <0>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <1>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <2>] fall to underworld!!!
Character [Location fantom character <3>] fall to underworld!!!
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\AXE02.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\ENV.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\SD055.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\ZHUOBU.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\N02B04.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\ZAWU.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\4000257.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\N02O005.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\WI.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\4000047TONG.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\GUN5.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\WATER.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\KXJ042.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\AXE.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\4000046TONG.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\025S.BMP.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\AMMO\BU2--.BMP.tx

I have never seen errors like that before. That is, I've seen errors about missing textures before, but characters who "fall to the underworld" is a new one to me.

Fast travel is normally only available after you have either found the place by going there manually, or if you talked to a resident and asked directions. You can ask for directions to the tavern, the shipyard or the store, but not to the port.

And I do not know of any 1.03 patch. Mind you, I got the original game on CD when it was first available back in 2003. But the mod overwrites a lot of the base game, so even if there is a 1.03 patch, it probably won't make any difference.

How exactly did you install the game, and how exactly did you install the mod?

Downloaded the game from here and installed into C:\Games folder

Downloaded mod's 2 files - installer and .zip and put them into 1 folder. Launched installer file and selected path to C:\Games\installed_game folder. After successful installation configured resolution / other game params and started the new game.

Reinstall the base game. Do not install the mod again yet. See if you can play the base game without mods.

Btw It's Nathaniel Hawk story, main story line is right after first talk with Sailhard and active quest is

Reconnoitre captured Speightstown city​

Did you install the Intel fix when you installed the mod?

Did the game crash when you tried to leave the town hall? It occasionally does that to me too, so I'm in the habit of saving game just before leaving.

After a crash, delete the file "options". If you changed any settings, you'll need to change them again. Then quit the game and make a copy of "options". This way you should have a clean "options" with all your settings the way you like them. Next time the game crashes, delete "options" again, make a copy of the copy, then rename that to "options".

I did not install intel fix coz I'm running on mac os with parallels on win 11.

Did the game crash when you tried to leave the town hall?
Do you mean from the town hall to the port? Yes, it crashes.

After a crash, delete the file "options". If you changed any settings, you'll need to change them again. Then quit the game and make a copy of "options". This way you should have a clean "options" with all your settings the way you like them. Next time the game crashes, delete "options" again, make a copy of the copy, then rename that to "options".
will try

Well, trick with options did not help, game still crashes.

Sounds like it tries to load some objects / buildings / generic nps / etc exact on such type of ports like Willemstad, Grand Cayman, St. Pierre etc and fails

First, download and install 7-Zip:
Download

Use it to zip up the whole folders "RESOURCE\MODELS\locations\Town_FalaiseDeFleur\port2" and "RESOURCE\MODELS\locations\Town_FalaiseDeFleur\port", then upload both zipped folders. I want to see if there's anything wrong with the models of both parts of St. Pierre port - the main port where you moor and the beach next to it.

Back