• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Bug with camera for ship model

johnny88

Landlubber
Hello!
I downloaded a model of the ship on the Internet, to replace the frigate "Griffondor", I replaced the files, a problem arose with the camera tied to the ship in the game. The camera crawled up.

The screen resolution in the game is 1920 * 1080, if I change to 1280 * 1024, then everything is ok.

Tried to locate the model locators in the TOOL, but it did not help. If I understand correctly, I need to edit the model of the ship.

Who can do this, or explain how to do it myself?
Please help me!

The model is here Гавань Корсаров - Категории файлов: Новые корабли - Модификация "Новый Гриффондор"
Very goodmodel, the best of the best for "Griffondor".

The camera height depends on the height of the "bounding box" for the main hull GM file.
This bug often occurs of the main mast is integrated with the main hull.
There isn't a lot that can be done about it; other than editing the model with Maya and re-exporting.
But that isn't easy at all and a lot of work...

The camera height depends on the height of the "bounding box" for the main hull GM file.
This bug often occurs of the main mast is integrated with the main hull.
There isn't a lot that can be done about it; other than editing the model with Maya and re-exporting.
But that isn't easy at all and a lot of work...
Looking at the model, the masts aren't integrated, but there are several locators very high up which would probably go better into mast models than on the main hull model "Corvette_quest1.gm". Would removing those locators be enough to reduce the camera height, or is it still necessary to re-export the model from Maya?

(If this ship can be made to work, there needs to be a black, pirate version named "Raven's Claw". :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the PO_Posiedon have the high camera bug? That model has dome hull locators that are pretty high.

Would removing those locators be enough to reduce the camera height, or is it still necessary to re-export the model from Maya?
You can try to move them, but don't hold out too much hope.
I expect the "bounding box" is written during export.
BUT! I'd love to be proven wrong. :woot

I tried to change / delete the locators in TOOL, it’s didn’t work. I think Pieter Borden is right about “bounding box”.

Maby someone can edit model in Maya?
In fact, many wonderful models of ships have the same bug. I will be very grateful if someone explains how I can fix it myself.

Last edited:
Ha! Not a problem anymore! Now that the topic has piqued my awareness, I just went and added code to the engine so that this never happens. No need to modify models anymore by simply setting a camera attribute for limiting that default height. So, if the ship box becomes large, due to that connected mast, rather than a separate mast, it no longer matters and the camera will still settle low enough on those problem ships.

Thank you so much!!!
Can you give this cod for all?
I’m playing TEHO. How i can fix this bug in this game myself?

Last edited:
Ha! Not a problem anymore! Now that the topic has piqued my awareness, I just went and added code to the engine so that this never happens. No need to modify models anymore by simply setting a camera attribute for limiting that default height. So, if the ship box becomes large, due to that connected mast, rather than a separate mast, it no longer matters and the camera will still settle low enough on those problem ships.

Are you here? Pleas help us, to fix camera bug in TEHO :)

Are you here? Pleas help us, to fix camera bug in TEHO :)

Unfortunately, this required a change to the source code and recompile of the game engine and I don't have any way to work with TEHO; you have to use my engine. Since this does require a fix to the engine, I highly doubt this will ever get resolved for TEHO in the manner I provide; ships with this problem will continue to need a modeler's attention, whereas mine never will require that intervention.

I remember having problems with the bounding box on a couple of ships in the Community Build Mod 13 or 14 when I was rewriting the gunnery targeting code. If I remember right I was able to solve them without resort to 3d modelling software, but it's been most of a decade and I don't remember how it was done. I'm pretty sure at least one of them was one of the xebecs. Does anyone remember what we did?

I know it started out by singling out the offending ships as special cases in the targeting code, but I seem to remember we got it solved in the model.

Hook

Unfortunately, this required a change to the source code and recompile of the game engine and I don't have any way to work with TEHO; you have to use my engine. Since this does require a fix to the engine, I highly doubt this will ever get resolved for TEHO in the manner I provide; ships with this problem will continue to need a modeler's attention, whereas mine never will require that intervention.
Does that mean your fix works with CoAS, CT and PotC, but not TEHO?

I remember having problems with the bounding box on a couple of ships in the Community Build Mod 13 or 14 when I was rewriting the gunnery targeting code. If I remember right I was able to solve them without resort to 3d modelling software, but it's been most of a decade and I don't remember how it was done. I'm pretty sure at least one of them was one of the xebecs. Does anyone remember what we did?
I think we did some re-exporting of various ships at the time. The same was needed to fix the famous "reverse lighting bug".
We were lucky that there were active modellers around at the time, who could sort that out.

In theory, all that's needed is to get the ship back into Maya and then re-export to GM.
There are two bits that require work though:
- Import of GM in Maya must be done through a VRML or OBJ step
I have a faint memory that UV map texture assignments gets lost in that process, so those need to be restored.
- The "too high" bits (often masts or sometimes stern lanterns) must be moved to a different model file.

At the moment, the only modeller who I know is active now is @Martes.
I wonder if he might have the know-how to make this work.
How different are the file formats, programs and tools used between the Storm Engine and Age of Sail?

Completely different.
VRML export in TOOL, as far as I remember, looses the texture maps for sure, while OBJ export in GM viewer usually screws everything up with problematic models, which, I suppose, is this one. But you won't know till you try.
There is another way of getting the model out, namely using a program like 3dripper dx, but that will end you with texture maps, but completely disorganized vertices.

Anyway, as far as I understood from the link, the ship is taken from GOF - Eras mod, so why not go to the author and ask him, even if he is some kind of persona non grata here?

Does that mean your fix works with CoAS, CT and PotC, but not TEHO?

Correct, but only if played with my version of the engine; it fixes it at the source of the problem, which is the camera positioning that is calculated from the ship's bounding box. This box is calced from the base model of the ship, so that's why splitting the mast tops off, works, because then that extra height is no longer factored in that calculation. I changed it to allow setting a max height, that can even be changed in the script code. Your camera will still pan up over the very tops of the masts, just as before, but that default view at sea level is correct, no matter how high the masts are for the base model, without need for reworking the ship model/splitting the masts.

It works for all versions my engine plays, which at the moment is: POTC, New Horizons, Caribbean Tales, CT Historical Immersion, COAS, GOF 1, 2, 2.1.5, ERAS and a Russian Mod that @Myth works.

Anyway, as far as I understood from the link, the ship is taken from GOF - Eras mod, so why not go to the author and ask him, even if he is some kind of persona non grata here?

We're not going to "fix" the model, because we have no need, now with my adjustment. I eliminate work, not create more :)

Back