• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Buccaneers! Screenshots and Videos

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Hi all,

To keep you in the loop on our progress with Buccaneers!, I thought I'd share a few screenshots as we go along, plus any new GIFs or videos showing off cool features. :type1

I'll start with the images shown on the game's Steam page, and I'll post newer screenshots below.

ss_05e7e62e20d35e25c0ceb31ec1990dca86293093.jpg

ss_50075aa27eea5bb3d1fbb336c23fa09e18744aba.jpg

ss_9ee88e2618fccf61a4a8b7de0f7547191c02a352.jpg

ss_fb686bd7ca0eacc7a24bba8f99d6cd5ef486adce.jpg

ss_4c6bdefc990b4b660ca148afbbf7217e6998762e.jpg

ss_b32cc8045d8957d38e40e96f88fe017effd01f41.jpg

ss_b599cad36abf3609a8f9d0feccba7ceb9426aa06.jpg

ss_4a7f885a83295beab90245a122d484d32b608802.jpg

All of our images are captured either from the player's first-person perspective, or using our built-in Photo Mode that lets you pause the game and fly anywhere in the scene. We've added full Nvidia Ansel support for filters and other effects, but the basic free camera works without an Nvidia graphics card.

I will attempt to keep this thread up-to-date, but you can follow Skyward Digital on our social channels (including Discord!) for all the latest news as it happens.

Here's a look at one of our WIP harbours, representing a smaller colony (particularly a pirate settlement).
The fort is fully accessible, and the goal is to be able to attack it from sea, then land troops and fight through the town and into the fort to capture the colony.

y4m47v2B6VjKJwwGeoKCSzo9usXj6R6PlRY7LBhv1o4E-kI_We3uhw0zbhgHcj25tIaTjt0dE5Nfyj6VM1J207d-EdCC9u2Y7MMuFdS92krCuAaNy5JSsyjsOx5KTtzplPbuEtVJqxNjtfELATeSaM3HsFx6QAdZN6-WP8PQQXV0W-VwI5at-YAisleUpIUlWiR

y4mO-sXU08FGMXOGaN2SNwOD_Tw0EPn-rqLYnL3SZsP1BW7WnPu2K2hU-h-oKL6MeJ0_OzW-9CdjkrTw1l7JoWCAtMDQ1HX3xfpkvWCiKfOcq6pbYYBpsCojmc4i5_-eLfwPIVkDRH3q574SlBOn6rVw6uV2I7ErrqTlEHjJo0RDoiycdNWFAvVBxfYGeA1QrfY

y4m5CHCc0tjVMru-jLuTDTIm3wehlk51Bd2r61FYR-AWErssJIDa7jWyP9GqjHwfUALdLZogDpZ3MgqABI2UfxhHqQFTkWG4AakcRY2MybyFB5wdz4ntNHwPa17XwoUsZAXdNj9RIeyVoABa_CLQjrlhGQ7XbzBMWnPZs5A2y0YSIN4cBvEorw_siUrgc3xG90D

y4mZdquOjlJIWdMUUkyXWIyuw6otDD6HyVHohqe8oVcVOp1IdiUa3uosbbhg_aFn6apIF5qO5Gsmjh1EdfuTqCwN6-dlN6mPgBPjivoat6awl7m_HUjS50bIAqw9yb1efhtKY-1EHhJLFwr_5yXPyHmPDHcZDg8PH6MRI_v45PB6kjkx7ZKfnSyZEfEaa1go-5Y

Conveniently multi-purpose, eh? Looks like that should make for nice and smooth gameplay! :onya

That's the idea! We want the weapons to behave as the player would expect, particularly in VR. So if you whack an enemy with the gun butt, you'll stun them, but if you use the bayonet, you'll do melee damage instead. Not as much damage as a sword swing, but enough to make it useful between reloads. This will also be possible in non-VR, though we need to make a few more animations for it.

You can also stun enemies by just throwing most weapons at them (unless it's a throwing knife, which does damage as well). And we haven't even added grenades yet... :boom:

You can also stun enemies by just throwing most weapons at them (unless it's a throwing knife, which does damage as well). And we haven't even added grenades yet... :boom:
So you can do that comedy movie trick of running out of bullets and then damaging your enemy by throwing the GUN ITSELF?!? :rofl

So you can do that comedy movie trick of running out of bullets and then damaging your enemy by throwing the GUN ITSELF?!? :rofl
Put it this way: people will throw their weapons in VR anyway, so we might as well make it semi-useful. :cheeky

In Robo Recall, which is one of our inspirations for VR combat, throwing your weapon at an enemy and catching it as it bounces back at you causes it to instantly reload. We probably won't go that far, but it shows the kind of fun interactions you can have in VR. Our weapons will just respawn in their holster (fully-loaded) after a few seconds if you've thrown them away.

Put it this way: people will throw their weapons in VR anyway, so we might as well make it semi-useful. :cheeky
Right you are!

In Robo Recall, which is one of our inspirations for VR combat, throwing your weapon at an enemy and catching it as it bounces back at you causes it to instantly reload. We probably won't go that far, but it shows the kind of fun interactions you can have in VR.
Realism? Didn't think so!
Entertaining? Holy crap, that sounds hilarious!!

Our weapons will just respawn in their holster (fully-loaded) after a few seconds if you've thrown them away.
Quite the magic trick right there. :shock

Well, your graphics already clearly communicate that your aim is FUN.
And it sounds like you're on the right track of delivering that.

Finally, you can do this in VR ->:keith

We've added a functioning spyglass that you can use at any time while sailing in VR mode. Currently, all it does is display other ships' health (which is normally hidden until you damage them), but we've tried to simulate lens distortion and reflections to make it look vaguely realistic. It doesn't look too big in the video because of the way we capture VR footage with a secondary camera, but when you're using it in VR, the eyepiece fills your field of view if you close one eye.

And yes, technically it counts as a "melee weapon", so you could batter your foes with it in a pinch. Not that it would be very effective. :p

Next nautical item on the list: a functioning compass...

If you use it to clonk someone on the head, it probably isn't much use as a spyglass any more. :keith
True, that. We may have to add a breaking animation if you hit someone with it too many times.

And as for throwing your pistol at the enemy, I came across this quote in Patrick O'Brian's Post Captain, just after Jack Aubrey has led his crew onto an enemy's deck:
... his sharp sword out, pistol in his left hand.
[...]
Fired his pistol, flinging it straight at the next man's face.

So there you have it. If it's good enough for Jack Aubrey, it's good enough for me. :p

Back