• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Boarding crashes - anyone?

Marki

Sailor
Hi pirates

Situation:
I downloaded Build 14 Beta 2.2 Full plus Beta 2.2 Light (Patch) a week ago. I love it:pirateraft . But I hated the annoying constant boarding crashes boarding crashes boarding crashes boarding crashes boarding crashes boarding crashes:monkeydance . Almost threw the game in the edge again. Just go back to GoF. But then decided to try a little analysis :thumbs1 .

Situation2:
The Spanish War Gall. struck its colors after I pounded a few hundred balls in their hull (wonderful game!:treasure: ). Saved. Nobody wants to fight except of the captain:facepalm . Good situation for analysis:read . A few seconds after I killed the captain and looted the corpse the game crashes, not sometimes, but just simply always. Wonderful situation for analysis (not for playing the game though) :ko .

Situation3:
In the advanced settings in the option menu you find: "Auto-Looting" and "Corpses". I had thought o yeah auto-looting and a bit of looting myself sounds nice :xmas , so I chose in "Auto-Looting" (let's name it A): "Blade/Gun/Money of killed enemies is automatically moved into your inventory", and I chose in "Corpses" (let's name it C): "Corpse persists, can be manually looted of items and not obstruct walking". Nice, isn't it? No.

Situation4:
In A you have 2 options:
1. "No automatic looting of killed characters" and
2. "Blade/Gun/Money of killed enemies is automatically moved into your inventory".
In C you have 4 options:
1. "Stock PotC: no bodies laying around, no looting ability",
2. "Corpses persist, but not be manually lootable",
3. "Corpse persists and can be manually looted of items" :wp and
4. "Corpse persists, can be manually looted of items and not obstruct walking" (That's true, it does not obstruct walking, but it does obstruct playing :rofl ).

Results:
A1 C1: no crash
A1 C2: no crash
A2 C1: no crash
A2 C2: no crash, the captain's problematic corpse does really persist
A1 C3: no crash, but the captain's corpse does NOT persist (funny as well, but that's another story:razz )
A2 C3: no crash, but the captain's corpse does NOT persist
A1 C4: Crash (a few seconds after fight and looting, not sometimes, but always)
A2 C4: Crash (a few seconds after fight and looting, not sometimes, but always)

Conclusion:
Option 4, let me say it in clear words, is for :rumgone . And the guy who's responsible for option 4 should probably be nominated for the Piratesahoy's Golden Sandbag :walkplank .

Advice:
Take option 4 and put it as far away from your computer as possible and enjoy the game again :whipa .

That's interesting... thanks for doing that analysis, mate! :doff
So, going by your results, the best solution would probably be to remove the fourth corpse option, at least until it can be fixed. We can arrange that for the next Build 14 update. :checklist

Interestingly enough, Corpsemode 4 was written by the same guy who wrote the others. It is by far the most complex version though.
We could easily set a different Build default though. Do we even need corpses? Having now played for quite some time with manually looting corpses, that does become tiresome.
What if we switch Auto Looting back on? And is there any corpsemode that allows the corpse to not instantly disappear while still not obstructing walking around?

That's interesting... thanks for doing that analysis, mate! :doff
So, going by your results, the best solution would probably be to remove the fourth corpse option, at least until it can be fixed. We can arrange that for the next Build 14 update. :checklist

O you're very welcome, you guys of the modding olympus, in modding I'm level 1, so I try to contribute what I can..

Thanks Hylie, I'll have a look at this site!

One question about saving: Have you intentionally resigned an automatic saving function before boarding (like in COAS) and saving during sea battles or because of technical reasons? I mean, one can save in sea battles anyway by sailing away first, saving as soon as possible and returning to the fight by sailing back or instant boarding for example. But in fact, it's not fun to do that I think. But the fear of the next boarding crash brings someone to do that - especially in big battles when you already put a lot of energy in it and got special items like an aztec coin or so, which you don't want to lose. So why not dismiss the idea of saving in sea battles would be unrealistic - sailing away just for saving is just as unrealistic - and allow saving (if it's technically possible at all)?

Just arrived in Jamaica as a Schout bij Nacht (I love this title, don't want to get higher for the time being, Schout bij Nacht fits perfectly :yes ) and noticed there are REAL quests in this game now, Father Jerald, the Giant Black Ship... just fantastic work, guys! Thanks to you all! And I love the Naval Top-sail Schooners, the Frigate types and and and

O you're very welcome, you guys of the modding olympus, in modding I'm level 1, so I try to contribute what I can..

Thanks Hylie, I'll have a look at this site!

One question about saving: Have you intentionally resigned an automatic saving function before boarding (like in COAS) and saving during sea battles or because of technical reasons? I mean, one can save in sea battles anyway by sailing away first, saving as soon as possible and returning to the fight by sailing back or instant boarding for example. But in fact, it's not fun to do that I think. But the fear of the next boarding crash brings someone to do that - especially in big battles when you already put a lot of energy in it and got special items like an aztec coin or so, which you don't want to lose. So why not dismiss the idea of saving in sea battles would be unrealistic - sailing away just for saving is just as unrealistic - and allow saving (if it's technically possible at all)?

Just arrived in Jamaica as a Schout bij Nacht (I love this title, don't want to get higher for the time being, Schout bij Nacht fits perfectly :yes ) and noticed there are REAL quests in this game now, Father Jerald, the Giant Black Ship... just fantastic work, guys! Thanks to you all! And I love the Naval Top-sail Schooners, the Frigate types and and and

Umm.. Actually Aztec coins lower your luck....Drastically....xD...Just saying....

One question about saving: Have you intentionally resigned an automatic saving function before boarding (like in COAS) and saving during sea battles or because of technical reasons?
Indeed it is for technical reasons; we couldn't make it work quite right in battle. We were lucky to have been able to add Save At Sea at all.

I see. Great you were able to realize saving at sea at all, then. Gonna try Open Sea Mod, sounds promising! What about the aztec coins? How do they lower my luck, found no numbers? Even if I put them in my captain's cabin chest? They look so great, want to collect them even if they are BAD!
By the way, with option 3 in "corpses" I have far less crashes now (all corpses disappear immediately though, at sea and at land).

The Aztec coins are EVIL; they lower your luck and don't even show it to you! :wp

Hard part is marchants won' acccept the voodoo- cursed Cortez coins and your stuck with them until you find some place- as you said ship chests. Or kill somebody and leave them with the coins. :xmas

I can't remember now; didn't Pirate_KK make a mod where items in your chest still give you your skill bonuses?
Judging by the "Build Info.txt", perhaps not. That was the intention though. Would save you the trouble of carrying them all around.

Back