• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Boarding bug Eras mod

Laurens DG

Powder Monkey
The bug consists of the player not being able to board an enemy ship , not sure to the variations of the opposite, namely whether they can board you. Didn't test enough.

Just to confirm that it is present in the Eras mod and to make a thread regarding some tips about it. There are notes from before, though mostly related to a version of GOF.
My point is that although there is an occasional (rare for me) ctd when demasting another ship and some minor quirks, this one is a game changer.

From what I've gathered it is advised not to use the TALK function in battles for enemy ships. This will eventually cause the bug (Please do confirm) . Surrender can be enabled and ships will eventually surrender, just don't use the talk meny for that or bribing through a naval encounter. For trade use the boat to go to other ships.

A final note, reloading to an earlier save does not remedy this , at least not in my case. Though I think it might in some instances, not really sure.

Thanks for your patience.
Regards

I made it to level 28 and boarded some ships and accepted money from more, and as far as I know the boarding system still works. :shrug

Go to the first post in the Eras mod topic and find the LAi_boarding file provided there at the bottom of that post. Replace old file in game....boarding bug fixed.

My bad. From all the info I read on the first post, I must have skipped that part. Pity I deleted my save games.
Thanks for the input.

Regards

The bug consists of the player not being able to board an enemy ship , not sure to the variations of the opposite, namely whether they can board you. Didn't test enough.
Go to the first post in the Eras mod topic and find the LAi_boarding file provided there at the bottom of that post. Replace old file in game....boarding bug fixed.

The inability to board ships and this game breaking bug can still appear even with the FIX, although it is exceptionally RARE.
The root cause remains the modified code regarding not only due to the surrender boarding file but the coding for the captain dialog texts.
I have not found the specific piece of code which causes this glitch, but the circumstances can arise and trigger the game break if you accidentally fire on a ship that has already surrendered.
After the glitch gremlin does its work, there is no possible way to fix the problem as its coded into your game save file, you MUST revert to an earlier save before the error occurred.
The best advice remains the same for any Akella pirate game, save frequently and make back ups.

Thanks for all the specifics regarding the cause. I haven't really tried the fix (deleted saves in the meantime), in the post it was suggested as a fix if u have downloaded Eras earlier (6.4 gb ), I have it from later(smaller version), so I forgot about that file.
Thing is boarding worked up to a point. I do save very consistently, every port, start quests and Cp saves just in case, thanks for that advice.
I noticed the bug first time after leaving port(port save) and having 2 naval encounters one after another, the second being buggy. Reload helped.

I don't know how you guys play, I skipped going into specifics since I got a direct remedy answer, but at the time I was frequently using the Offer gold option from the talk menu in naval encounters. Being on a quest or else, I wanted to quickly avoid easy, two or one, smaller ship encounters in favor of time.
It is around that time when it started, I was not using this at all at the first half of the campaign.
I would notice that if I would meet a squadron of two ships sometimes the bribe would not always get both ships, sometimes only the first ship gets on my side, him having changed flag would walk away or attack his buddy. It would mess up the game of whether I have the option to go to World Map at that point or not.

As I mentioned I actually noticed it very early the first time , reversed to the latest save and it got better for a while. After quite a bit of time I noticed it again, reverting to some earlier saves didn't work. I am sure it worked in the middle between this two occasions.

I could do some tests if you think there is something to it and think is necessary, for now I am staying away from the talk options just in case.
Regards

Back