• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Blender Plugins

Artess999

Landlubber
Recently I've developed .an and .gm plugins for Blender
.an import and export are ready

.gm import is ready, export still in development

Plugins still in active development though, so additional features will be added / something might be reworked

blender-an-import: storm-engine/tools/blender-an-import at develop · storm-devs/storm-engine
blender-an-export: storm-engine/tools/blender-an-export at develop · storm-devs/storm-engine

blender-gm-import: storm-engine/tools/blender-gm-import at develop · storm-devs/storm-engine

In gm import I've done CoAS <-> PotC skeleton conversion feature

2021-07-21_20.02.24.png

2021-07-21_18.21.34.png

Also @Grey Roger, how about finally putting those to use in New Horizons?
Seems to me too good to ignore!
Top left: Nathaniel Hawk. Personally I prefer the portrait picture we have now. However, is there a blank version of that background? If so, it could be used to make similar-looking portraits for our other "Blaze" variants with different jackets, currently all using the same portrait as basic "Blaze". For example:
blaze4_256.jpg

Top right: that one can go into the game if I can have the character model to go with it. ;)

Bottom left: probably Ralph Fawn, who appears briefly in the tavern scene just after you've given the cursed chest to the cursed pirates and exists just long enough to get killed so Danielle can be upset about it. You won't see his portrait. The original plan was to allow the player to choose to play Nathaniel or Danielle, and as far as I can tell, Ralph Fawn would have been Danielle's officer, which is why she gets upset when he dies. So if anyone wants to try to write Danielle's story, Ralph Fawn will probably be a major character and then he can have that portrait.

Bottom right: again, I prefer the existing portrait for Clement Aurentius. It looks rather more like the actual character.

Last edited:
Top right: that one can go into the game if I can have the character model to go with it. ;)
It's Danielle.

Bottom left: probably Ralph Fawn, who appears briefly in the tavern scene just after you've given the cursed chest to the cursed pirates and exists just long enough to get killed so Danielle can be upset about it. You won't see his portrait. The original plan was to allow the player to choose to play Nathaniel or Danielle, and as far as I can tell, Ralph Fawn would have been Danielle's officer, which is why she gets upset when he dies. So if anyone wants to try to write Danielle's story, Ralph Fawn will probably be a major character and then he can have that portrait.
Can't hurt for him to have a unique portrait though...
Can it?
It's such a nice one...

Bottom right: again, I prefer the existing portrait for Clement Aurentius. It looks rather more like the actual character.
Artistic license, I'd say.
For me, they don't have to be 1:1 exactly the same. :shrug

@Artess999 shares his first version of the Blender import/export plugin is now available:
storm-engine/tools/blender-gm-export at develop · Artess999/storm-engine

So what features does it have now?
If I understand correctly:
- Import of GM and AN files
- Export of GM and AN files
- Import/export includes geometry, binding (for characters), textures and locators

This means that:
- Ship models are NOT yet possible (these require 'collision detection' information too)
- Location models NOT yet possible (these require 'collision detection' and 'walk patch' too)
- Characters, weapons and items are supported (characters only with 1 texture per mesh; this still to be expanded)

There's more info in the ReadMe:
storm-engine/README.md at develop · Artess999/storm-engine

@Jack Rackham, @Grey Roger and @Bartolomeu o Portugues...
Any interest from you?
This could be pretty big news, really. :cheers

@Artess999 shares his first version of the Blender import/export plugin is now available:
storm-engine/tools/blender-gm-export at develop · Artess999/storm-engine

So what features does it have now?
If I understand correctly:
- Import of GM and AN files
- Export of GM and AN files
- Import/export includes geometry, binding (for characters), textures and locators

This means that:
- Ship models are NOT yet possible (these require 'collision detection' information too)
- Location models NOT yet possible (these require 'collision detection' and 'walk patch' too)
- Characters, weapons and items are supported (characters only with 1 texture per mesh; this still to be expanded)

There's more info in the ReadMe:
storm-engine/README.md at develop · Artess999/storm-engine

@Jack Rackham, @Grey Roger and @Bartolomeu o Portugues...
Any interest from you?
This could be pretty big news, really. :cheers

Add multiple meshes per model support
So If character model have more than one texture, model must be divided to multiple meshes with different textures
Because engine supports only one texture per mesh on animated model

So If character model have more than one texture, model must be divided to multiple meshes with different textures
That sounds quite doable.
Unless I'm very much mistaken, you wouldn't see a difference between 1 mesh or multiple anyway.

@Artess999This could be pretty big news, really. :cheers
For me at least it surely is big news! I have grown tired of Maya always acting up.
Blender is the way to go in my opinion. It's free, meaning anyone has access to it, no money or other tricks needed. And it is supported so it will continue to work well.

That sounds quite doable.
Unless I'm very much mistaken, you wouldn't see a difference between 1 mesh or multiple anyway.
This is common practice from my experience. Many games have character models with multiple "sub" meshes.
You surely have played one and did not notice it, unless if you opened the files outside of the game. ;)

Edit: I pinned the thread so it is more easy to find.

Last edited:
I've tried out these plugins again, and it makes me very happy to see the ptc data in Blender :bounce

We should really be able to do some seriously awesome modeling now!

The plugin was not updated for Blender 4, but you can always give it a try

Back