• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Blackwake Kickstarter campaign now live!

I am interested in this but put simply releasing on steam alone with no plans for a drm free or alternative release leaves me reluctant to fund the project.

Red Back Dude, I understand your concerns mate! I used to hate Steam with a passion, that feeling has cooled quite a bit in the past few years, especially since they started supporting Linux! I will continue to use Windows 7 only because I have already purchased it, and for compatibility issues with certain hardware and software, but I am done with Microsoft.

If you have never given it a try, I highly recommend that you check out Linux Mint 17 Mate, you can download the ISO and burn a Live CD that will boot and let you check out Linux without having to install it. You can find out more HERE!

Sadly linux is not for me because there can be times where i will lose internet for extended periods and linux can be restrictive if you dont have the net, as for steam i have had a turbulent relationship with them for a long time pretymuch since day dot when i read the Steam Subscriber Agreement and saw that it effectively committed high treason here in Australia by stating that i essentially have no legal rights.

edit: before i forget don't even get me started on Microsoft xD

The problem with having a DRM free multiplayer game is that it becomes very hackable. There is literally no protection at all with DRM free. People would be able to make hacks that would tear apart the server or even steal people's private information. That is one of the reasons why we are using Steam. Hopefully in the future there will be alternatives, or even proper DRM free solutions we can get our hands on.

feel free to back it if you like it :D

i was going to talk about how drm or not games get hacked but i just cant be arsed anymore i quit ive done it so manny times i just don't care anymore.
age of sail for me its why i am here :beer:

edit:
dammit i cant help it just a little *head desk i am too much of a nerd hell i even have a library card - they have hacked printers through their WiFi to access and take control of whole networks , in short video games are the least of your worry's .

Last edited:
I can see the reason for using Steam as the outlet. It helps with the release (majorly) by supplying a steady and well supported avenue for updates and distribution. It also takes care of about 75% of the issues related to game exploits (let's not call that kiddie script shit "hacking", please) by handing the developers a nice set of tools to integrate into the executable that helps to mitigate their damage. In short, it makes releasing a game to a large amount of players relatively painless. It also takes the burden of the publishing system off of the small development firms and moves it into a company that specializes in the publishing and deployment of the software. If you truly are concerned about your privacy and Steam, then you simply do what I do and have a boot specifically for gaming that has no personal information on it. They can ravage that system image and the only mounted hard drive for info and the best they will get is my eclectic collection of games at that time. Not using the Steam service means missing out on a lot of great indie games that have leveraged that publishing service to keep their games active and cheap.

Sadly linux is not for me because there can be times where i will lose internet for extended periods and linux can be restrictive if you dont have the net,

You think Linux is crippled without internet access?? Just wait till "Windows 10" :rolleyes: hits the wild and Microsoft is charging you a monthly access fee to use your own computer equipment and store all your personal files and information on it's "secure" cloud servers. If that monthly pricing scheme is not rolled out with Windows 10, it will follow in a future version. It is what Microsoft has wanted for the past 20 years, and the technology finally exists to make it happen.

as for steam i have had a turbulent relationship with them for a long time pretymuch since day dot when i read the Steam Subscriber Agreement and saw that it effectively committed high treason here in Australia by stating that i essentially have no legal rights.

That applies to almost any electronic user agreement that pops up on your screen anymore mate. And in my opinion, they are all about as worthless as the paper they are written on! There have been successful court cases here in the US fighting those types of agreements because there is no actual physical signature, regardless of how it is worded.

edit: before i forget don't even get me started on Microsoft xD

...sorry, a bit late for that one! :wp

feel free to back it if you like it :D

i was going to talk about how drm or not games get hacked but i just cant be arsed anymore i quit ive done it so manny times i just don't care anymore.
age of sail for me its why i am here :beer:

edit:
dammit i cant help it just a little *head desk i am too much of a nerd hell i even have a library card - they have hacked printers through their WiFi to access and take control of whole networks , in short video games are the least of your worry's .

That happened to me this year. I even had a nice interview with the IRS about those hackers. We have three printers. One is old enough to not have wifi, Mine now has its wifi disabled, and the third is connected to a Mac. I basically had my C: drive wiped through my printer, but all our important data is on another computer and it has "many" passwords. As in a book full of them.

The one thing I really, really, REALLY don't like about Steam is that you cannot run a game without it.
And when you try to start the game, it'll INSIST on first updating Steam, even if there are zero updates to the game itself.

I purchased Napoleon: Total War on disc, but still need Steam to run it.
And since I hardly ever play it, when I DO want to, it'll take an hour of Steam updating before it finally lets me.
Not.... exactly.... convenient.

You think Linux is crippled without internet access?? Just wait till "Windows 10" :rolleyes: hits the wild and Microsoft is charging you a monthly access fee to use your own computer equipment and store all your personal files and information on it's "secure" cloud servers. If that monthly pricing scheme is not rolled out with Windows 10, it will follow in a future version. It is what Microsoft has wanted for the past 20 years, and the technology finally exists to make it happen.

That applies to almost any electronic user agreement that pops up on your screen anymore mate. And in my opinion, they are all about as worthless as the paper they are written on! There have been successful court cases here in the US fighting those types of agreements because there is no actual physical signature, regardless of how it is worded.

...sorry, a bit late for that one! :wp

For now plan "A" is to be like one of those people still using XP years down the line and i certainly do not intend to be paying for windows 10 if i do get it :wp

I can see the reason for using Steam as the outlet. It helps with the release (majorly) by supplying a steady and well supported avenue for updates and distribution. It also takes care of about 75% of the issues related to game exploits (let's not call that kiddie script shit "hacking", please) by handing the developers a nice set of tools to integrate into the executable that helps to mitigate their damage. In short, it makes releasing a game to a large amount of players relatively painless. It also takes the burden of the publishing system off of the small development firms and moves it into a company that specializes in the publishing and deployment of the software. If you truly are concerned about your privacy and Steam, then you simply do what I do and have a boot specifically for gaming that has no personal information on it. They can ravage that system image and the only mounted hard drive for info and the best they will get is my eclectic collection of games at that time. Not using the Steam service means missing out on a lot of great indie games that have leveraged that publishing service to keep their games active and cheap.

what you have to say is true and i respect your knowledge on the matter but somewhat on a side note ,what do you think about the upcoming GOG galaxy platform ? basicly in terms of what it will mean for devs wanting to release games.

The one thing I really, really, REALLY don't like about Steam is that you cannot run a game without it.
And when you try to start the game, it'll INSIST on first updating Steam, even if there are zero updates to the game itself.

I purchased Napoleon: Total War on disc, but still need Steam to run it.
And since I hardly ever play it, when I DO want to, it'll take an hour of Steam updating before it finally lets me.
Not.... exactly.... convenient.

This is basically my pet peeve with steam , all i want to do is play the games i paid for :onya

spoilers to keep the would be colossal size of this post down

Last edited:
what you have to say is true and i respect your knowledge on the matter but somewhat on a side note ,what do you think about the upcoming GOG galaxy platform ?
It is an interesting concept. It sounds a lot like the old platforms from the late 90's where you created a profile on a neutral gaming service and a lot of games used those servers to find matches for players. That way the developer didn't have to maintain game servers since the game was hosting by one of the players and it just used the service to find other players. It also had the ability to let players make matches over LAN and to play single player only. I would be interested to see what type of system is planned for BW and how they will handle the user profiles and achievements.

GOG galaxy is very interesting. They haven't given any new info with modern game support. If there was a way DRM free could be happy and free with no hackers like the old days we would definitely do it! Steam is pretty much mandatory now for any kind of retail PC game success. Especially an independent game sadly.

I don't want to be pessimistic but it's pretty sure the goal won't be reached. The question is why?:confused:
A few reasons.
1. Launching at the second worst time of year/worst time of month. (statistically April would have been ideal but we were forced to run in November)
2. Securing press coverage on gaming sites proved difficult as above. AAA titles launching all through November as well as Blizzconn. (20 articles published, but only 1 recognized medium site RockPaperShotgun, none of the bigger sites had time, Kotaku, PCgamer, Eurogamer, Polygon etc)
3. Lack of pre-launch base to boost us to the top of the video games section to aid reaching the 30% statistical tipping point earlier.
4. 2012 would have been ideal to launch a Kickstarter campaign. Each year has seen a decline in backers due to being "burned out" as well as project delivery skepticism (High funded campaigns not delivering/being canceled).

Those are the main ones. If they had gone smoothly it definitely would have been funded easily.

Don't give up yet mates, I have seen Kickstrter campaigns that looked dead take off and finish at just the last minute, and you still have 9 days left. Getting noticed by the big gaming sites requires money, they consider it advertising space. RPS does cover a bit more Indie stuff, there are a few others as well, such as Indiegames.com, and Pixelprospector.com.

I also noticed that you were mentioned on BluesNews, but only once when the Kickstarter went live, you might want to submit a press release to them, they have a pretty good following and sometimes the big guys will pick up an occasional post from them. I will also be sure that it gets posted to our Twitter at least a couple of more times. :onya

No worries, we have a couple things planned. The trust for Kickstarters has gone downhill in the past few years, the project would need to most likely be a few months from release to hit its goal.

Support for Blackwake is there, we were greenlit in 22 days with 63% yes votes (average is 48-52%) people just won't back for multiple reasons. Too early, too close to holidays, wanted to buy one of the many AAA titles released this month etc.

The Yogscast even played and we didn't get much of a budge, when many of the comments were positive

I think many people are sportive of the idea.
But not so many are willing to do anything about it.
The difference between words and actual action can be very difficult to overcome.

Back