• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

black pearl

seemeerkat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
how do you light the black pearls lamps. i play build 14 beta1 patch 5.
please reply asap. thank you in advance

I think it is not possible to light the lamps on ships in PotC -- that can only be done in AoP2 CoAS.

:keith

Technically it's more like "far too difficult to do". Might be possible, but we reckon it would be extremely complicated. :facepalm

I tried the one method that might simulate it already with a particle system and that quick;y becomes so complicated it isn't even funny.
So to simplify it: not possible in PotC, but CoAS has it already.

it's just i usually sail at night for fastest speed on the black pearl and its pitch dark. :( . you can see the lamps on at night in towns so i thought maybe you could transfer the data from the and put it onto the pearl

Yeah, I know what you mean, and it would be a great thing to do for all ships, in an ideal world.
The problem is, apparently, that the lit lantern effect on land can't simply be used for ships, because ships move and the land doesn't. :shrug

What intrigues me, though, is that there is a folder named 'ShipsFlares' in the Texture directory, with two textures looking like lights of some sort.
No idea if that's even used in the game, but judging by the textures being made in 2002, it would seem the developers may have wanted lit lanterns on ships originally, but never succeeded or finished it for PotC.

Exactly the problem. For one thing, I didn't manage to replicate a standalone one-particle-only lantern effect.
On the other hand, getting the particle effect to follow around the moving ship is very difficult, as proven by the steamships.
As you may notice, the point emitting the smoke seems to move as the ship gains speed, which is something that I managed to hide to some extent on the steamship,
but would be ridiculously obvious on lanterns. No idea why the emitting point moves in any case, but it does.

No to mention that I compensating the emission point for angle of roll, yaw and pitch isn't overly necessary (though still desirable) for the smoke emission, it's absolutely vital for the lanterns.
It also requires very complex mathematics with sines and cosines. It basically requires you to calculate the x,y,z coordinates of the lantern based on the x,y,z coordinates of the ship and the ship's angle in three directions.

ughh i hate sine and cosine. i have to do it in school. but i think i saw a program that automaticaly does the mathamatics
(one of the reasons that computers were built). but the real problem is that ships move where as towns dont.
maybe if we got the black pearl from AOP it would still have the lights as part of the texture or skin. or maybe we could make the lights as part of the texture or skin even though the lights would be on night and day

I think the lights in AOP are just particle effects of some sort, like the lanterns on land in PotC.
The only difference is that the game engine allows them to work on ships, by making them appear in exact spots specified by locators.
These locators are part of each ship, so the point where the lighting appears moves perfectly with the ship.

In other words, textured parts have nothing to do with the proper effect.
However, some ships do have lanterns which are textured to look lit up, but to be honest that makes almost no difference at night.

if it could be possible to make the colour bright enough for then to act as lights it would be good. because it is really dark at night and i once sailed into a reef in nevis trying to sail away as a british fleet was close by

In CoAS, the lights actually seem to emit light and light up the surfaces around them as well; that's something we cannot do even if we can get the particle effects to work.

As for "a program to sort out our sines for us", that won't work. The problem isn't getting the game to calculate stuff for it.
The problem is getting the formulas right, which is something no program will do for us and really will need to be programmed manually.
Programs don't write themselves, unfortunately.

Back