• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

ANOTHER problem.
mybad.gif
The top yard on the bowspirit is twitching like a broken watch. Ugh. You still have more work to do.

[attachment=7333:moddingNGINE 2011-10-17 21-53-49-08.jpg]

Aaaaannnnd this rope on both ships on the mizzen mast looks all weird and skinny at the point I circled.
dunno.gif

[attachment=7334:Fullscreen capture 10172011 115622 PM.jpg]

OK, I'm stumped. That's not gone according to plan, and I don't know why. :modding
I've checked and double checked everything I did to the yards' locators, and they look fine to me. Sails not showing up is very bizarre.
I'm still going over what might fix it, but don't hold your breath, because this doesn't look hopeful. :(

You might have to revert back to the original rigging for both ships until I can find out what's going on here.
And about that 'thin' rope, just ignore it if you can. I might fix it eventually, but I have enough to worry about now.

This might be a wild goose chase, but I have run into similar problems. It has been some months but if a rey is moved from its original position, its name can be changed but its group can not be changed. For example if a rey is moved from c3 to a2, then it can be renamed to a2 but ropes attached to it must be attached to either the c3 group or the sail group. The heavylineship1 has locators in both the b2 and b3 groups.

Yeah, I was wondering about the locator groups.
I added two ropes to the lower bowsprit yard, and gave them the group names of the yards, and now I can't change the group names to anything else. Weird. :wacko:
The curious thing is, I didn't move or rename any yards at all, and I only added those two ropes to the bowsprit yards, besides the mini sail locators to get the lower yard to work correctly.

Over on the mizzenmast, I changed the lower yard to be attached to the upper yard with a locator, and changed nothing else.
Why that should cause the sail to disappear is beyond me. :shrug

It doesn't have to be you who did it. It could have been done years ago. It also causes some oddities when a ship loses a mast and loses a sail on another mast. They were originally in the same group. The light frigates and some fluyts are like that.

Anyway, here is one example I found. This rey is now named a5 but was a1 at some point in its past.

Well this sucks.
I'm trying to fix it, you know. Just revert to the original rigging until this problem been sorted out.
I didn't expect things to get this complicated. :facepalm

@ Hylie, I guess the fact that the rope locator groups for both ships are named after the nautical terms, and not the model names, doesn't help.
Trouble is, I'm at a loss as to exactly where the problem lies. Maybe you could have a look yourself and see if you can find anything wrong? :shrug
You'd only need the original files from the initial release, plus the latest update I posted. If we both check, we might have better luck.

Ok the Pearl seems to be unaffected by this whole yard/mess. The Pearl has her mizzen sail, so she doesn't need to be touched. So for some reason, only the QAR is affected.
dunno.gif

I tested her a few times, and that twitching thing with the bowspirit yard only happened once. All the other times, bow yards are fixed. That mizzen yard works just fine. but the sail on that and the bowspirit are still gone.
mybad.gif

Anyway, texturing on the QAR is now officially complete.
me.gif

The Pearl is nearly done. I've finally finished her stern. All I have to do now is darken her prow slightly, darken the cannon ports, and add some grime to the whole ship.

Oh, AND take the lines out of her sails.
Here's shots of the finished movie-accurate stern.
keith.gif

[attachment=7340:Fullscreen capture 10182011 40322 PM.jpg] [attachment=7339:Fullscreen capture 10182011 40328 PM.jpg]

[attachment=7338:moddingNGINE 2011-10-18 16-07-37-66.jpg] [attachment=7337:moddingNGINE 2011-10-18 16-07-43-63.jpg]

I added some grime to the Pearl to make her look more dirty like she does in the movie as well as darkened her prow. What do you think, Bonjourmonami? Happy?
rolleyes.gif

So with that, the Black Pearl's textures are finished. Is there anything you wanted to do with her before I release her, Armada?
william.gif

The only thing I haven't finished yet is the sails. I have to take the vertical lines out of the solid, patched, and cursed sails, because in the movie, the Pearl's sails don't have those. I could wait to release the Pearl till after I finish her sails. What do you think, Armada?
dunno.gif
Ugh. Getting those lines out of your cursed sails is gonna be a pain. lol
urgh.gif

[attachment=7354:Fullscreen capture 10192011 30749 AM.jpg] [attachment=7353:Fullscreen capture 10192011 30757 AM.jpg] [attachment=7352:Fullscreen capture 10192011 30813 AM.jpg]

[attachment=7351:Fullscreen capture 10192011 30825 AM.jpg]

[attachment=7350:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 03-12-09-08.jpg] [attachment=7349:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 03-12-20-20.jpg] [attachment=7348:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 03-12-30-38.jpg]

Ok the Pearl seems to be unaffected by this whole yard/mess. The Pearl has her mizzen sail, so she doesn't need to be touched. So for some reason, only the QAR is affected.
dunno.gif
Interesting. That makes more sense, seeing as I had to do more to the Revenge than the Pearl.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across like I was saying that to you. I just meant this whole situation sucks. I know you're working hard to fix this.
danse1.gif
No worries, I'm just as annoyed about the situation as you are. It's a pain, but there must be a way to fix it somehow... :mm

So with that, the Black Pearl's textures are finished. Is there anything you wanted to do with her before I release her, Armada?
william.gif

The only thing I haven't finished yet is the sails. I have to take the vertical lines out of the solid, patched, and cursed sails, because in the movie, the Pearl's sails don't have those. I could wait to release the Pearl till after I finish her sails. What do you think, Armada?
dunno.gif
Ugh. Getting those lines out of your cursed sails is gonna be a pain. lol
urgh.gif
There's nothing else I can think of that needs doing. Your work has given her an extremely authentic look! :doff
Leave the sails as they are for the release, if you want to perfect them still. We can always add the final versions with an update.
So, whenever you're ready, go ahead with the release!
thpirateshipff.gif

Oh, and don't forget to let Thagarr know about it, so he can post an article about the upgrades on the news page.

Ok I'll do that.
me.gif

Pssst . . . don't forget to to put the boats and the "stuff" back on the Pearl at some point.
rolleyes.gif

D'oh... that means I'll have to modify the walk path so you can't walk through the boats and 'stuff'.
Ah well, we can always update the model later. :cheeky

EDIT: by the way, don't forget to release the ship on ModDB too, perhaps with one or two new images.

D'oh... that means I'll have to modify the walk path so you can't walk through the boats and 'stuff'.
Ah well, we can always update the model later. :cheeky

EDIT: by the way, don't forget to release the ship on ModDB too, perhaps with one or two new images.

Come on, you know I had to give you one last zing. lol
slap.gif

Ok folks, here she finally is after her 2 month makeover, the Black Pearl is FINALLY ready for release!
w00t.gif

This is our best Pearl yet - totally movie-accurate! I put a lot of hard work into her so I hope you enjoy it. Here's some screenies of the finished product:
keith.gif

[attachment=7355:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 07-30-38-82.jpg] [attachment=7357:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 07-29-11-82.jpg] [attachment=7356:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 07-29-38-85.jpg]

To get her, just click this link: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Legendary_Spider/RESOURCE.exe

Then extract it to your main game folder and when it asks, click on "Yes to all".

Install the code updates (see below)

Start the game, load a savegame (or start a new game), and press F11 for the changes to take effect. You can find the new ships in Vanderdecken's shipyard (they're fairly expensive).

Open PROGRAM/Ships/ships_init.c in a text editor such as Notepad, and find the line:

refShip.Name = "BlackPearl";

There should be three occurrences of this line. For each one, scroll down slightly until you find:

This line: refShip.Walk = "BlackPearl";

Delete 'BlackPearl', but keep the quotation marks (" ").

And this line: refShip.WaterLine = 0.3;

Change 0.3 to -0.7, and save the file.

And these lines: refShip.EmblemedSails.normalTex =
refShip.EmblemedSails.nationFileName =

Change "sail_whole_black_patch2.tga"; to "sail_whole_black_patch1.tga";

And that should do it. Enjoy!
thpirateshipff.gif

THANKS GUYS, LS and ARMADA, FOR YOUR GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :onya :onya :onya

Our pleasure, mate. Don't forget to thank FKWOLF555 for making the snazzy new sails, and of course, Bonjourmonami for modeling the new ship in the first place.
me.gif

The Black Pearl is work in AOP:CT too! Thanks mateys! :woot You worked a lot for this! Congratulation! :onya She is so realistic and beatiuful, like the original! Good job! :gday :piratesahoy!

Back