• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Beta 14 Full - Graphics Glitch and Bug

jearwood

Landlubber
Ahoy! First time poster, long time lurker here.

I have been running Build 13 fine, and have Build alpha 14.10 installed, although it is only somewhat playable. I just installed the full version of Beta 14 an ran into a few glitches and a show-stopper you guys might want to know about.

1. Upon installation, running ENGINE.EXE for the first time caused a crash due to no ENGINE.INI file being found. If I remember correctly, previous versions would create a standard ENGINE.INI file upon the first run. This version seems to lack that ability. I copied the ENGINE.INI file from my alpha14.10 directory, and that seemed to side-step the problem.

2. On the main menu, there were some strange rotating white squares that would appear and disappear, seemingly at random, on the top quarter of the screen. I have never seen this on any previous version.

3. Upon starting a new game, I noticed that the profile picture of Nathaniel Hawk was missing for the New Horizons storyline.

4. The show-stopper is, once a storyline is started, as soon as the game loads, it immediately returns to the main menu. I can click "Resume Game" or hit the ESC key, but then the screen is completely black, with the exception of a box in the upper left corner with a jolly roger, the main character's name, and the game date text at the top center of the screen. I can press F1 to return to the main menu, or F2 to load the character profile. However, in the character profile, there is no picture, and the buttons at the top ("Ship", Cargo Hold", etc.) do not work.

I have tried this in with and without "safe rendering" mode, to no affect. It appears to be the same, no matter which storyline is chosen (with the only difference being the character's name). If there is anything else you guys would like me to try, feel free to let me know.

I have a so-so computer that is getting on in years. It has a 2GHz Pentium4, 1G of RAM, a Radeon 1550 Pro, and is running XP-SP3.

I am in the process of making a copy of my alpha14.10 directory to see if the beta14 lite version will work. I will let you guys know if it does.

Fair winds,
Capt. J. Courtney

---------------------------------
EDIT
---------------------------------

Aha! Beta 14 Lite works!

It appears that the mysterious white squares on the main menu screen were the sparkle thingies in disguise.

Tomorrow, I will see what is different between the full and the lite installation and report back. For now, though, its time to make sail (and hopefully a fair bit of gold)!

That sounds like missing files of some kind. Especially the white square sparkle things.
You sure you installed to the folder that contained your game?
I thought those sparkles werre stock game files, so they can't have been missing from the installer.

Ah... I installed to an empty directory.

Sorry. It was not clear to me that it needed to go on top of the original game. I'll try that and see what happens.

Installed to an empty directory? No, that won't work. Really have to install on top of the game.
That's been a requirement for all our previous modpacks as well. I don't rightly know how we can make that more clear... :?

Big signboard on the installer itself, where people put their feature/changelists. In capital letters. Big font text on the download pages as well. That should do it, until of course we find a way to legally redistribute the engine itself.

Ouch... I don't quite like the prospect of removing such an oft-requested feature again. :facepalm

Just a thought that has come to me. When we get the source code doesnt the product technically become Open Source?? As with the code?? Allowing us to redistribute it?

Also for the sake of Pirates Ahoy and the Build Mod. I seriously consider we get a signed contract from Akella specifing what there rights are and what are ours? that way if anyone like disney wants to kick up a fuss then you can just show them the contract and Id dout they would argue with it. I could draw one up if you want? I do loads for TV/FILM and Its no different really. then I can post the contract on here and people can comment on what they aggree and disaggree on so we can get it 100% perfect before giving it to akella?

please give me some feedback as to how you feel about this

thanks

I think we are getting the source for CoAS not PotC so no we wouldnt be able to do anything as Disney would kick our butts for
a) using their original games storyline
b) having the Jack Sparrow storyline
c) having ships from the movies

So I dont think a contract with Akella will do us any favours as Im quite sure its Storm Engine 2.8 (not 2.0) that we are getting the source code for.

Its easier if we just keep on having the modpack as a free download

Before we get ahead of ourselves, we first have to wait until Keith managed to convince them to REALLY give it to us.
It HAS been promised, but it hasn't happened yet...

Before we get ahead of ourselves, we first have to wait until Keith managed to convince them to REALLY give it to us.
It HAS been promised, but it hasn't happened yet...

I am not intending that the build mod should be made to sell and I do believe it should be kept free. I Think by producing a written contract now and if they agreed they would be committed to providing it. A clause could be added stating what versions we are asking for and why and what we intend to do with the final outcome and how we would like it providing. They can promise for 20 years and we might never see it without a contract. and we could spend countless hours modding the source code and akella might say. sorry but you cant use that. Where would that leave the build mod then.

We are dealing with professional companies on a professional level here and im sure that they would expect a contract from us or expect us the sign there's.

thanks

Do a draft of the contract - it will not hurt anyone and serve as a rallying point for future legal correspondences.

Can't hurt, I suppose, but we haven't actually heard from them this year yet...

Back