• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Best Medium Sword?

CrankyPirate

Landlubber
I have read in several places that the best medium blade is called Haudegen; however I have now done two quests that according to the guides should have rewarded me with this item.. but instead i got a Katana - which I hate as it does not look piratical at all. I have looked in the item describe text and have found that "blade 32" - which from a bit of digging was previously Haudegen is now listed as Katana.

So I guess the question is, was there ever a different weapon, or was it a different name for the same katana sword model? and does anyone know a quick way to change which model a weapon uses so I can change it to anther sword model... come to that, does editing the item describe text change the text in game in the smae way that adding/changing heroes in the hero describe text does?

To be honest, I don't know, but I've been nearly Texaco lately. I met there guy, who warned me and he said that he just one person who survived from all crew. Well, I ignored him and I went in the direction of the pyramid. I met there the strange guy. He looked like native inhibitant. I don't remember what he said, but however I shot him with a gun. He took the really strange and really, really big and long sword. It killed by a blow. I don't know what it is, but maybe it's one of those swords which you talked about.

Sorry for a little offtopic, but I can't believe it what I saw.

PS: Could you take a photo of those swords? (Katana, etc.)

That weapon is the Aztec mech...something, it's a heavy sword which is probably one of the strongest in the game.

As for the Haudegen, it's possible that it's the original name of the same sword, but don't take my word for it. It's been a long time since I've played vanilla CoAS and the only way for me to verify that statement is to look into the original game files.

Haudegen and Katana is the same sword, the best in game. The Macuahuitl weapon is not that good, it's too heavy, needs too much energy for fights against many enemies. But, Valium, you KILLED the native in Tenochtitlan?!? :) why? you must be an evil pirate then.. After you finished Tenochtitlan quest, you can return whenever you want. at the top of one pyramid you'll find rooms you can enter, ancient warriors await you and some drop a macuahuitl, so you can collect as many macuahuitls you like.

No, I met this guy and I didn't know what he was talking about. He was leaving me, so I decided to shoot to him.
I can't killed him, but his sword can kill not only me, just all my figters too.

That weapon is the Aztec mech...something, it's a heavy sword which is probably one of the strongest in the game.

As for the Haudegen, it's possible that it's the original name of the same sword, but don't take my word for it. It's been a long time since I've played vanilla CoAS and the only way for me to verify that statement is to look into the original game files.

I am using GOF latest version, but I am guessing it was always maybe a katana but with a different name. Can I ask; as I have seen your name against some of the weapons in the iniitems.c file, I cannot get the model to change for this sword. I have opened the file and changed the model to a different blade type, but when I re open the game, it is still the katana... I have read the tutorial on adding weapons to the game, but it does not seem to help me here.

EDIT**

I can get the models to change by pressing the full reinit button; will pressing this button break my current game? - I am unsure of exactly what implications pressing it really has...

It shouldn't break anything, it just resets many of the scripts in the game. So for example if you changed some stuff around in the values but wondered why it hasn't effected your game, by pressing that button, the new values will appear.

Of course, the risk is that if the old values work and the new values don't, you won't realize it to after you reinit.

It's a really handy tool to avoid having to start a new game everytime there's something new in a patch.

I don't think you'll have any problems if all you did was swap some models around.

It shouldn't break anything, it just resets many of the scripts in the game. So for example if you changed some stuff around in the values but wondered why it hasn't effected your game, by pressing that button, the new values will appear.

Of course, the risk is that if the old values work and the new values don't, you won't realize it to after you reinit.

It's a really handy tool to avoid having to start a new game everytime there's something new in a patch.

I don't think you'll have any problems if all you did was swap some models around.

Awesome news :D I have about 25 hours on this character and do not want to start again... yet..

I am basically making a mini mod to go into my game; something along the lines of "Masterwork Weapons"

I play Mount and blade a bit and I like that there are multiple versions of weapons; same weapon model etc, but better strength stats. I am making copies of six of my favorite weapons into Masterwork variants with a high rarity and huge price tag to keep it balanced. Basically because I am a sword nut and I really dislike the Katana and Tanat swords in this game..

do you think anyone would want it as a release when its done?? It should be finished tonite and I plan to make it balanced with the rest of the game, no ridiculous super weapons or anything.

Example would be the "French Sword" current stats dmg 27/95 wt 9 - Masterwork variant dmg 35/110 wt 7.5
rarity 0.0001

EDIT 2***

I have done a bit more digging with regards to the "Haudegen" the literal German translation seems to be warhorse, but it also brings up a German wiki page that displayed a Spanish/Italian sword; the epee, which rather confusingly is the french word for sword. The picture on the page was quite distinct and I remembered seeing such a sword in the .gm files when using the viewer, so I took a look. Sure enough there is an almost identical sword "Blade29" in the .gm files, and after looking through the GOF files it seems this blade model is not actually used in game, leading me to believe that the katana was at some point modded in as the replacement for the Haudegen, why I do not know, as this sword is period accurate 16th/17th C and fits perfectly with the game, the Katana does not at all, at least in my opinion, awesome swords, but only in feudal Japan..

Luckily though it seems it is easy enough to change this back again..

i'd definitely use that. even if it's only for the fact that it reverses katana into a cool, period sword which was modded out. different variants of blade quality seems great, on top of that all.

PS also a veteran mount and blade player here.

Back