• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Attempt at "ship battle simulator"

Perhaps there was no intent to pressure me into adding the FreePlay experiment into the mod, but that's how it seemed to me.
Certainly I wouldn't really mind if it doesn't end up included. That's really up to whomever is in charge of managing the updates.

I guess the issue is that mods like these can't simply be released independently, because every time there's a new release, they become incompatible.
Any future modder wanting to write a sea battle scene probably wouldn't use the battle simulator anyway. More important would be to check that it triggers at the appropriate point in the quest, at the appropriate location, with the appropriate characters. It would probably be as easy to write the whole thing from scratch as to edit the battle simulator with all those changes.)
Don't you enjoy easily arranging a ship battle with choice ships and see it play out right from the start? You don't get that sort of freedom from the random ships you encounter at sea. And it's a lot more tedious to write an entire side quest just to see a particular type of encounter when it can be generated at the push of a button.

Just my thoughts.

Angling for something isn't the same as "demanding" for it. I'm asking you guys for your thoughts, your opinions - not ordering you to do accept it. :rolleyes:
I am well aware of the distinction. I used the term "angling" in an effort to be diplomatic, so you can dial back the condescending attitude. ;)

I am well aware of the distinction. I used the term "angling" in an effort to be diplomatic, so you can dial back the condescending attitude. ;)
I don't know whether you realise that I never intended to force anyone to do anything. I was always under the impression that this project was supposed to be somewhat inclusive.

Ok, I've got the simulator "case 11" and if it works well I'll use it for sure in the future.
I'll add it to "my" console.c which already is twice the size of "yours".

If it's tested I can't see why not including it.

Perhaps there was no intent to pressure me into adding the FreePlay experiment into the mod, but that's how it seemed to me.

Indeed it is relatively harmless, whereas the battle simulator adds a whole load of new character definitions. There is a maximum total number of characters which has already been increased several times, and I've no idea what that's done to overall game performance and stability.

Also, "console.c" is rather cluttered with various switch cases which might conceivably be of some use to some modder in the future, to the extent that they're now almost useless. If I want to run a test in "console.c", I don't search through the various cases on the off chance that there's something useful; I simply add what I need immediately below the 'int limit;' line, then remove it when I've finished. If I'd left in all the stuff I wrote which might conceivably be of some use to some modder in the future, "console.c" would be at least twice as big as it is now, and I'm probably not the only one!

Perhaps, instead of adding another case which may be of some use at some time, might it be time to clear away some of what is already there?

(Any future modder wanting to write a sea battle scene probably wouldn't use the battle simulator anyway. More important would be to check that it triggers at the appropriate point in the quest, at the appropriate location, with the appropriate characters. It would probably be as easy to write the whole thing from scratch as to edit the battle simulator with all those changes.)
Would you know of a way that I could set the weather permanently after launching the console? I added the line SetNextWeather("shipfight") which only applies to while I'm at Cayman. By the time I reach Cozumel, it's back to normal.

It's particularly annoying when I land at Cozumel but the wind is so damn slow, ships barely move...

Also, I want to get rid of the random storms that trigger even if I'm not in the "dark cloud" in the world map. Is there a way to do this?

Incidentally, I began testing the "simulator". Here's a fight between British and pirate ships (I have an outdated PC so excuse the lag):

Last edited:
Back