• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assassins Creed 3 Boston Commentary

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Ubisoft has released a new Assassin's Creed 3 video, this time with commentary from Alexander Hutchinson, Creative Director. This video shows a very detailed Boston, that was created using maps from the 18'th century, with some interesting crowd interactions. There will also be a detailed New York City featured in an upcoming video. This video does feature some interesting game play elements, such as being able to enter and pass through buildings to loose your pursuers. However, the best part of this video is at the end, showing our "hero" climbing in the rigging of a British ship!

Attachments

• Assassins-Creed-3-Logo.jpg
    Assassins-Creed-3-Logo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 26
Firstly this game is looking pretty damn sweet. Secondly, why did they do such a great job on boston but then their ships are innacurate and lumpy?:p

I agree mate, there are some aspects of this game that really look fantastic! While their ships are much better than Risen 2, they do still leave much to be desired.

I had no plans on posting this video until I saw the end, it was pretty cool to actually see a game let you climb through the rigging! That is something that has been lacking for quite some time. Unfortunately, the whole naval aspect still feels like just something they added on. I am very curious to see just how they handle boarding, I don't have my hopes up for anything realistic though.

They even did the rigging completely wrong. They could have spent even twenty minutes doing some research and gotten it slightly right. They wouldn't even have to edit any game mechanics to include futtock shrouds under the tops.

The rigging of a ship is the most important, yet most complex part. I personally do not know a game, which features it correctly. Even the new mount and blade lacks a proper rigging depiction. But I don't know, there are plenty of good model ships and museums out there not to mention whole books dedicated to the rigging.

Nevertheless, the game doesn't want to be accurate, yet the developers boldy tell so "our game is historical accurate" why because they feature historical persons and locations? OK, then every fantasy or science fiction movie/game is also historical accurate because they often feature historical persons and locations.

The sheer fact that clothes, locations and persons lead the developers to use such bold words is a further proof of the superficiality of games. Yes this games looks good and yes it will sure be fun. But if anybody take a closer look at this game, then its flaws can be clearly see.

2:36 is a good example. It shows an officer without a scabbard. Missing of scabbards is always the first sign, that developers do not care about details and accuracy.

Also the sheer fact that every troop with a musket has a socket bayonet already attached to the musket. A clearly sign, that the developers were too lazy and do not give anything about accuracy. Bayonets had sheaths for them. Good books about armament and uniforms proofs that.

Shoulder straps for rifles is also a topic. Yes early matchlocks did not had shoulder straps but why? Because they were used as a pike in conjunction with a bayonet. Nevertheless personal use flintlocks had shoulder straps. Contemporary engravings proof that. However I have not found a proof that later matchlocks had shoulder straps, common sense it should be so... however I will not stand for it without contemporary proof.

Oh and reloading of firearms is also a nice point. Albeit essential for every firearm non-existent in this game.

However, I praise them at least for depicting holsters and quivers.

I will not talk about the naval mistakes...

In my humble opinion, standing behind the statement "this game is historical accurate" after delivering such flaws, shows the true character of the publishers/developers of being just money hungry, superficial vermin.

The first part had its flaws but at least they tried to show somehow accuracy. Yes I will buy this game nevertheless but for 10-20$ and no more and not immediately after release but one year after that.

Sorry this had to be said.

I'm glad it was.

Where did make the claim about the game's historical accuracy though?

Oh sure, forgot to mention the source. Around 5:00 he made the claims.

OK, on one's own account (I love to quote myself):

Kamil said:
However I have not found a proof that later matchlocks had shoulder straps, common sense it should be so... however I will not stand for it without contemporary proof.

Matchlocks had shoulder straps.

For Europe dragoons used them: A page from Johann Jacob von Wallhausen - Kriegskunst zu Pferdt of 1616 proves it.

However I have yet to find proof that European and thus colonial infantry used shoulder straps on matchlocks.

There are many proofs that shoulder straps were used on Asian matchlocks, for cavalry as well as for infantry :)

I think the ship at the end of the video appears to be part of the Port location and not a seperate model . So they have just treated the mast & rigging as though it is part of the location, eg as they would treat a tree in a forest or a roof in a town. So thay have not really modelled the mast and rigging as part of a ship but just as something for the player to climb up.

I am really waiting for them to show what they have done with the ships that actually sail on the sea.:yes

I didn't have time to watch the entire clip, but based on the title, these guys are starting to sound more and more idiotic, in my opinion. There's nothing else to be said, really.

Two things:
They have a college professor checking for historical accuracy.
They include that historical accuracy to make their fantasy stuff more believable.

I did not hear them mention anything naval related.

Like I said, I couldn't watch the entire clip. (I have to leave to help with the training of some new guys on Pilgrim in about five minutes) There are plenty of other inaccuracies as well, naval or not.

Back