• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Are you all quite sane!?!?!?

Luke McReady

Freebooter
Coordinator
Creative Support
Quest Writer
QC Advisor
Notice: I THINK this is the most appropriate place to put this. if not my apologies lol

I know this may have to go without saying, but as a new member of the forums the Gentlemen of Fortune mod is the only mod from this site that i had ever dealt with previously and that was just recently. Despite its bugs and flaws AOP and COAS are 2 of my favorite games even if i do lean SLIGHTLY more towards the original. (Just seemed more... Complete)

Well as I was discussing the HoO project the GoF mod came up and Pieter suggested that i give the POTC mod a go to see how i like it. I managed to get my hands on the game, and installed the mod, but College, Working on the Main-Storyline for HoO, and other things kept me away for a few days.

that is until tonight. i finally got a moment after just finishing a research paper form the devil himself and hit play on Build 14 of POTC. and my question to you all is... Are y'all quite sane???

You've taken an outdated pirate game, and spent way too much time and resources building this... Shipload of excellence that outdoes most modern games with less graphics, and that's every bit a compliment to the effort.

I love it i really do, but i must say it's extremely overwhelming and i thought COAS was bad. I died maybe 4 times before I even got to sail my ship, i botched the trading mechanic killing all my crew, and selling all my armament. I love the personal Flag mechanic though don't really see one that fits me. and the customization is just... awesomely too much to take in.

This build is extraordinary; And though I'm definitely more comfortable playing COAS, I will be continuing to learn this one as I get the chance and as it becomes more familiar i'm sure this will win a place in my heart as the other 2 have.

Keep up the good work on this one mates it may be aging more every year but y'all have given a old bird some modern wings to help it fly. Games like this are few and far between. It's y'all who are keeping one of the best game experiences alive in the absence of high-quality new releases.

:doff hat's off to y'all mates, nothing but respect for what you've done here. As for now i need to get back to work on the HoO project. Keep the wind blowing in these sails because this ole tub has a few more waves to ride yet!:keith

Cheers:cheers - Luke McReady

Are we sane? :nerbz

Umm........nope! And your point is........:bonaparte

Thanks for the compliment! And now you are getting an idea of what we expect from HOO. :whipa

I sure do! and it took some learning considering i had never messed with the files of that Type before but i managed to replace my least favorite Personal Banner and Pin-up with one of my own design :) When i find time ill prolly give it more realistic texture but as of right now feels good to be flying my own flag :D:pflag

This game may be old and out of date, but to my knowledge there is no other FPS ship game like this anywhere, I wish there were more, this game still ROCKS! :D

This game may be old and out of date, but to my knowledge there is no other FPS ship game like this anywhere, I wish there were more, this game still ROCKS! :D
Right on the spot there mate! This game is undoubtedly AWESOME!:aar:pflag Especially for those who loves the sea! Yeah! :dance

I've been called many things but I believe I've never been called sane :p.
For me I see this project as practicing a bit untill HoO get more underway and then I hope to contribute there.

You are very welcome, mate! Feedback on our work is always appreciated, especially comments as positive as yours! :cheers
I imagine you now understand why I recommended you check it out to see what we want to outdo and improve upon with HoO? ;)

This mod is the result of 10 years' worth of work by many, many talented, gifted and enthusiastic people.
It is a true testament to what collaboration and perseverance can accomplish!
And the sheer scope of this modpack is quite incredible, even to me. And I've been at it since 2004.
With all the different storylines and periods, there is literally enough new content to call it several new games.

If you have trouble with the difficulty in the game, just turn it down a bit.
What storyline are you playing? The standard storyline is set to Apprentice by default,
but if you selected another story, the difficulty would be higher if you didn't change it.
But you can change it any time you want, in the middle of the game as well.

The fencing is simpler than CoAS, because you just keep blocking until the enemy finishes his swing, then attack.
Then you block again, unless the enemy lurches around in pain, allowing you to hit a second time.
Quickly block again in preparation to the enemy. 1-on-1 duels are really quite easy, provided your blade isn't tremendously bad.
It gets harder with multiple enemies though.

You figured out how to put in a custom personal flag already, right?

Age of Pirates and Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships are very similar. But neither has been as heavily modded. :no

You figured out how to put in a custom personal flag already, right?

Yeah I noticed the textures were in .Pga.tx format. (Alot more complicated than just your regular old .Png, and .Jpeg stuff)

So I looked around a bit for a program to open them, and found where Hylie had linked someone to the drop box for the Storm Engine tools. So i used the TX Converter and GIMP to edit out my least favorite (The Yellow field with the Lion) and replace it with a simple custom one.

I'm sure theres some other way to do it, but I'm not exactly a modder and I can't code in any language (Yet) but I fiddled around with it till i got something to work. :type1:modding:read:confused::eek::shock:woot:type1

I plan on getting better acquainted with the game when i can and maybe actually make a more realistic version of my flag. but at the moment I'm proud of my little basic flag seeing as i figured it out on my own and get to fly it now! :keith I'll prolly be posting some screenshots when i get a ship i actually fall in love with :)

I'm really curious to see what you end up with. What ship you like best depends on how you play. Here is my current favorite.
beta3 2013-11-13 16-43-37-71.jpg

Yeah I noticed the textures were in .Pga.tx format. (Alot more complicated than just your regular old .Png, and .Jpeg stuff)

So I looked around a bit for a program to open them, and found where Hylie had linked someone to the drop box for the Storm Engine tools. So i used the TX Converter and GIMP to edit out my least favorite (The Yellow field with the Lion) and replace it with a simple custom one.

I'm sure theres some other way to do it, but I'm not exactly a modder and I can't code in any language (Yet) but I fiddled around with it till i got something to work. :type1:modding:read:confused::eek::shock:woot:type1
That is exactly the same method I would have suggested myself.
It should technically be possible to add other flags without overwriting anything, but I never even tried that myself and what you did is far, far easier. :yes

Ill be sure to post one as soon as possible to show y'all

But it seems to glitch sometimes and look like there are multiple flags on the same attachment point. Is this happening to anyone else?

P.S. First Post from my PS4 :bouncexD:monkeydance

I love the work you guys did on this mod too. I think that the only thing that is missing is an multiplayer for this great mod, but thats unfortunately impossible p_q

Ill be sure to post one as soon as possible to show y'all

But it seems to glitch sometimes and look like there are multiple flags on the same attachment point. Is this happening to anyone else?

P.S. First Post from my PS4 :bouncexD:monkeydance

In what situations do a flag and a pennant show up on the same mast? There are two situations where that happens now that I can think of.
1. When a ship loses a mast the flags get confused as they are located by the number of masts so that two can be on the same mast.
2. When first appearing on a direct sail map it takes some time before the flag/pennants appear and rarely when they do appear they will be messed up. This can be fixed by going to another screen and then coming back, like looking at your menu or going to your cabin and back.

In what situations do a flag and a pennant show up on the same mast? There are two situations where that happens now that I can think of.
1. When a ship loses a mast the flags get confused as they are located by the number of masts so that two can be on the same mast.
2. When first appearing on a direct sail map it takes some time before the flag/pennants appear and rarely when they do appear they will be messed up. This can be fixed by going to another screen and then coming back, like looking at your menu or going to your cabin and back.

Just when i look at the ship from the docks then When i first sail in 3rd person. But only happens on personal banner so far.

I have a dozen screenies of ships when looking from the dock and the flags are all good.

Now when first sailing in 3rd person there will sometimes be no flags for some seconds, and then they will appear. This is rare but there have been times when they appeared and were messed up, but changing screens and going back to 3rd person fixed it.

Only personal banner? You made your own right? Maybe something is not entirely correct yet.

But he made his own just by editing the texture files. That shouldn't be making any difference at all.

Back