• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Advisory to stay clear of Naval Action.

Noriruru

Freebooter
I've been playing Naval action for a bit now. I'd like to say that I could endorse this pretty looking game but I can't.

There are quite a few unsavory elements to the game. And here's a few.

1. Unrealistic and overpowered AI.

The NPC ships in the game routinely break nearly EVERY sailing rule of physics in the book, maneuvering like hydrofoils even in a headwind. And if THAT isn't bad enough, their gunnery puts even present day warships with their guided missiles to shame with a near 90% hit rate even at extreme range with maybe 2 out of every 3 hits landing criticals. Also they seem to have a higher rate of fire than most players.

The devs DID recently reduce the AI accuracy on small ships such as cutters and brigs hoping that less experienced players won't notice that all frigates and SoTLs still have the "sniper elite" level AI and dance around like fairies.

2. Toxic and hostile player community.

The game is supposed in alpha stage, which means that people playing the game are supposed to be providing feedback and making suggestions. However the player community will usually try to shout down player suggestions, throw insults and name-calling around, and attempt to derail the suggestion thread by leading it off topic into wild and immature tangents. They also seem to celebrate on the forums when frustrated players announce their intention to leave <like good riddance or don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out, etc>.

3. Devs alienate PvE and Independent players.

With only a single PvE server and no access to alt characters if you want to experience something new, for example playing another nation or just plain want to play a new character they give you only 2 options either completely delete your old character and make an entirely new one sacrificing all your gold, ships, crafting resources and all that even though you still retain both your rank and crafting xp or be forced onto a PvP server where only 3 of their 7 or 8 playable nations are even viable and where ganking and griefing runs rampant.

They claim that this is designed to prevent economic exploitation but that kind of exploitation already exists in the game in the form of the current guild activity.

4. They are setting the stage for total disaster for the game economy and solo playability with their future economic goals.

In their most recent patch they did away with player ability to sail captured warships. Instead players now have to auto turn in warships they have captured in boarding combat over to their respective nation's admiralties for a tiny sum of gold and only allowing players to commandeer merchant ships. They also have future plans to completely do away with NPC resource vendors and allowing players to have the complete run of the economy. This action coupled with the canned ability to sail captured warships will inevitably open the door to massive overpricing of ships, and other items and make it impossible for any independent player to survive and be competitive.

It's like Pirates of the Burning Sea all over again.....Perhaps even worse.

At least portalus games has since begun to offer means of solo player survivability (if only to line their own pockets with real-world cash).

With this all said I can not in good conscience recommend this game to anyone.

Thanks for the feedback, mate. :cheers

Hopefully there may be some people out there who do enjoy it.
I've always thought that game shows definite promise.

Yeah I thought it showed promise too.
Sadly it would seem I was wrong.

Well at least I can save people from wasting their money on it I hope.

Anyhow how's Hearts of Oak coming along? At least that should be a lot better. :yes

They also have future plans to completely do away with NPC resource vendors and allowing players to have the complete run of the economy. This action coupled with the canned ability to sail captured warships will inevitably open the door to massive overpricing of ships, and other items and make it impossible for any independent player to survive and be competitive.
Classic example of an aggressive “Pay-to-Win” policy, probably designed to launder real money.

If I want to be spend a year making a decent sum of money, training my character to a competitive level... and lose it all in one short gank... I’ll play EVE. I don’t mind on that game, it’s just the way it is, and it’s actually easy enough to survive, progress and have fun, all without losing a single ship. If that weren’t possible then I simply wouldn’t bother. I just stay out of Jita, that way it’s all good. :cheeky

I've been wondering ever since I first heard of Naval Action, if my love of the Age of Sail could outweight my hatred of MMOs, but if the solo experience is that bad, I guess I'll keep my money.

I can second @Noriruru 's take on the game. All though I have not spent a great amount of hours in NA - but that is kind of a pin pointer as well for me, as I played PotBS actively for 4 years, spending probably 3-7 hours online on it almost every day. Until it was ruined of course... and sadly never rose again to any kind of state that could contain any form of the word "glory".

Which drove me out to find a new safe haven - which in fact was why I discovered PiratesAhoy! and PotC - New Horizon mod. Already by then NA was under development and the hard core of the PvP (and some of the PvE) community PotBS all saw this as their possible new place to flourish again. To many's grief they started to add the open world concept. This actually did drive inn ALLOT of the remaining PvE community from PotBS, and i was pleased about this as I am a sandbox open world lover first of all, and a PvP'er secondly :p

I am very much suspecting allot of the hard core NA forum community consist of a big portion of the left over of the elitist part of the old PotBS community, which would be seen as trolls in many other forums, and very well fit in with the descriptions @Noriruru depict.

Sad really.... because NA had SUCH GREAT promise...
But personally I am done with it for now. I will keep an eye on it, as I cant help myself - and because however NA will end up - positive or negative (or a mix) there are lessons to be learned from it.

Yeah I'm still watching Naval Action as well but I'm not too terribly optimistic about it turning around either. The game's alpha feedback and suggestion system from what I've found out seems to be on a "player vote" system (design by committee if you will) that is on their own private site as opposed to being on steam. And if the current forum community as @Flannery suspects ARE in fact remenants of the toxic PvP elitist old guard from PotBS (and I too deem this likely as well) are the ones "voting" on game policy (after driving out all the casual PvE player community with all their trolling and suggestion hijacking) then Naval Action doesn't stand a chance at pulling out of it's current nose-dive into Davy Jones's locker.

I watch the NA forums and feel like Augustus Caesar standing on a hillside Playing a fiddle while Rome burns as more and more complaint threads (many ironically comming from the same trolls who hijacked my feedback and suggestion threads) concerning economic hyper-inflation and low server populations are showing up.

Sound femilliar to PotBS forum complaints these days?
Sad considering Naval Action is only just begun as an alpha stage game and is already going through the same kind death-throws PotBS is going through what now seems to be it twilight days.

I kind of have this theory about video games in general. That it is folly as a whole to add PvP as a major element, or worse...the primary element to an online game, as PvP seems to attract these kind of unsavory communities, who then attack your main player community, trying to drive them out and inevitably kill the game.

Games with PvE as their primary or only play element seem to have WAY more civilized player communities than those which are PvP based.

Last edited:
Pitching real people against each other in a world where there are no real consequences? Hmm, I can see how that might not work out the way you'd hope.
The only way that can be Ok is if there is plenty of sportsmanship to go around.
But I think even in sports that does not happen much.
In the end, "us v.s them" is such a very easy trap to fall into.

Sadly, sportsmanship in an online game goes out of the window if the developers do not properly balance it. If, as a crude example, 90% of the game is only available to 10% of the player-base then it is clearly not going to be balanced, and this would most likely directly impact upon the common attitude of the community. Sometimes it is difficult to balance a game, but some might impose strict rules which protect new players from overkill and also curb excessive ganking, and this will generally result in much less of the wanton gamesmanship. In my view, as soon as the developers lean towards “Pay-to-Win” and do nothing to promote balance between the new and old, average and elite players alike, then it will inevitably be a cesspit of toxic effluent stuff.

Well situation update! One of the more toxic players calling himself Acid_Penguin managed to get me banned from the Naval Action Forums after he baited me into a rather visious flame war.
Maybe I could have handled it better myself but then again I always speak my mind. If I believe someone to be a jerk I'm going to tell him exactly what I think of him regardless of how politically incorrect my doing so may be.

Give me honesty over candy-coating anyday.

As for Naval Action's developers, Game Labs if they don't want my help well it's no skin off my nose.

They've made their choices and they'll have to live with whatever consequences come of it.

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say this but as bad as it is I'd actually have to say believe it or not Pirates of the Burning Sea might actually be the better of the two at this point. :bonaparte

Just another example of the NA devs shafting the casual fun seeking player demographic in favor of their self-styled "hardcore" minority demographic.

What a shame....

Do you still play PotBS? Has there been any real development there the last year at all? I did follow the Purtalus Games website for quite some time after they took over - hoping they would bring someething good back to it.
After a while I just stopped paying attention. Still pop in on my characters from time to time. just to think about the good old days. But I seldom even make it out from port before I get discouraged and crawl back into my cave in Turtling Bay ;P

I sometimes still take my old sturdy 2nd rate Trinity out for some fleethunting. I have 4 lvl 50 characters on Nation, and 2 lvl 5o pirates, and at least 2 more in their 30'ties.

Yeah I have actually returned To PotBS. They've at least added some decent options (if mostly to line their own pockets with real world cash). Some of these options include a level grind bypassing level 50 advance token also they have many good ships available at a fairly decent price (Including the Prince, Invincible, Trinity, and Triumphant) you can get a heavy Hercules Frigate deed for a single BSN. And an Invincible for sbout 6. I've already got 1 Invincible, 1 Prince and 1 Trinity, I also got a Treason for a Pirate character all on the $60 BSN Package .

It's a bit of a Buy-in mentality but I'd rather put up with that than the shenanigans going on in naval action.

I currently operate on roberts server.

YES in my opinion PotBS believe it or not IS better than Naval Action and that's saying a lot concidering my troubled history with PotBS.

Thanks for that update on PotBS.
I might jump on just for fun again then
I am nations on Roberts and Pirates on Antigua.

I think I am perhaps one of the last still in the old RSS guild. Unless her royal highness kitt still plays and works the echonomy.

Back