• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A question regarding flags

Capt Pete

Powder Monkey
Imagine, if you will Ironman Mode and no options to go to the world map.

When running from a friendly island to a hostile one and wanting to change flags. When would be the best time to do so. As your leaving a friendly area or as you spawn into the hostile one? Im not planning on making the hostile port. Im just trying to make it passed the island to go to the next one.

I assume changing flags in friendly waters to a hostile flag is not a good idea.

please advise.

Thank you in advance

Pete

PS. I dont have the master of disguise perk yet.

You can change the flag whenever you want as long as you're out of sight of ships/forts when you're doing it.

I assume changing flags in friendly waters to a hostile flag is not a good idea.

You can change the flag even when you are near the island as long as no one can't see you doing it,but I recommend changing it only when you're sure that your out of sight

PS. I dont have the master of disguise perk yet.

"Master of disguise" perk certainly helps but it's not thing only thing that affects your "disguise",fame level also affects it.If you're known as "Unrecognized" there shouldn't be a problem,your ship tier is important too,the bigger the ship the higher the risk of being recognized,im not sure if your reputation affects it too.Also forts remember your actions while in their sight if you were hostile to their nations they'll remember you as their enemy.

Looks like @STARk7 already did a great job explaining it and he's absolutely right.
Ships and forts check the flags of other ships that are "in sight" of them.
This is based on the distance between you and them and can be reduced by the visibility and when it is night.
As long as nobody sees you changing, the change will not affect you.

Be careful though, because when you are seen flying a hostile flag, you'll be remembered as such by that ship/fort.
That means you may still be attacked by it later, even after changing to a friendly flag.

You can change the flag even when you are near the island as long as no one can't see you doing it,but I recommend changing it only when
If done right before an island reload or DirectSail encounter, you can anticipate on what comes next while still definitely being out of sight.
But you never know what you'll find and maybe the ships around the hostile island would actually not be hostile, making your flag change a mistake.
Oh well, that keeps your challenge going, doesn't it? :cheeky

"Master of disguise" perk certainly helps but it's not thing only thing that affects your "disguise",fame level also affects it.If you're known as "Unrecognized" there shouldn't be a problem,your ship tier is important too,the bigger the ship the higher the risk of being recognized,im not sure if your reputation affects it too.
I can't perfectly remember, but as you say, fame is a large factor.
Reputation isn't in there, but I did want to work that in one day (and still haven't done so...).
I didn't think ship tier had anything to do with it, but I might be wrong.
Not sure about character level. Check the 'FalseFlagDetectionChance' function to know for sure.
I'm not near my computer today, so can't check myself.

Forts can see a long way even if there is something in the way, such as an island. If you enter Philipsburg from the north, Marigot fort will probably see you and remember you as hostile, even though it's the other side of St. Martin.

On the open sea, have a good spyglass and find out the nationality of any ship approaching you. Then set your flag accordingly.

Forts can see a long way even if there is something in the way, such as an island. If you enter Philipsburg from the north, Marigot fort will probably see you and remember you as hostile, even though it's the other side of St. Martin.
Technically forts see just as far as ships do.
But indeed it's worth keeping in mind that the visibility doesn't take into account land at all.

Yes forts can see a long ways. I changed flags too close to Bridgetown and now the fort fires on me even though I'm neutral to England. I presume a visit to the English governor will take care of it.

When you encounter fleets do they know what flag you are flying right away?

(When using default encounter distance)

When you encounter fleets do they know what flag you are flying right away?

(When using default encounter distance)
Not necessarily. Depends on the actual distance, the visibility and the captain skills.

It seems like they subconsciously know what flag I'm flying and if I'm flying hostile flag they start sailing towards me to "inspect" me,and if I hoist friendly flag they're not interested anymore

It seems like they subconsciously know what flag I'm flying and if I'm flying hostile flag they start sailing towards me to "inspect" me,and if I hoist friendly flag they're not interested anymore
That could actually be true; they probably DO know your flag straight away, but they don't "fully register" it until they're "in sight".
The Improved Sea AI code should have changed that, but there's so much related stuff scattered everywhere that I am very willing to believe that what you mentions does still happen. :facepalm

Thanks for the replies. there is quite a lot of information posted.
It has giving me a pretty good idea of when and where you can change flags.
The "in Sight" thing is vague pertaining to the distance to see a flag and changing one. Im fine with that.
I have this cheap spyglass and if i cant see their flag, I will assume they cant see mine either. unless they have a better spyglass .And if i cant see the island anymore. Ill assume the fort cant either. I will see how that works out. Should be interesting.

Thanks again

Pete

I have this cheap spyglass and if i cant see their flag, I will assume they cant see mine either.
That should actually be a safe assumption. I just checked the code and looks like I indeed made it work like that when I rewrote the system.
The "Check All Ships" function that runs every minute at sea uses the 'GetCharVisibilityRange' function (with value '2' for 'medium').
This is the same function (and value) that is used for the spyglass interface to tell you a ship's nationality.

unless they have a better spyglass .
Actually, the spyglass doesn't change the distance at which certain things show in the interface and NPC ships don't use spyglasses either.
But you're right that the other ship's visibility range may be different from your own,
because the captain's leadership and (5x) the captain's sailing skill are included. :yes

You can always press "8" to see how far are you from the island.
Huh? What does that do? :shock

Sometimes when it's foggy you can't see how far you are from the island and you don't know is it safe to change flag.In that situation it's good thing knowing your coordinates.

Back