• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A proposal to the Entire Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
So as we are getting ready to release cmv3.1.5 a thought came to my mind. :boom

Why doesn't this mod have a title?

I mean, build 14 is "NEW HORIZONS" (very sexy) and we're still using Combined Mod V'x.x.x'?! WHAT THE '[sub]explitive[/sub]'?!

ModernKnight said it best when he stated:
This is our effort. This is our favorite game, hobby, venue, or whatever you want to call it, so we should be happy with what we name it.

AND I'M NOT HAPPY!!! :wacko:

(okay...calm self, breathe)

So here is what I propose...and if it a foolish idea, just leave me at the next deserted island :walkplank

:danceA COMBINED MOD NAME CONTEST!!:dance
:warr​

Here is how I propose it will work. Members leave their thoughts here on what the name should be. The staff then choose a bunch of finalists. Then, we set up a poll, and let the community vote on the best name.

A guess what, there is a prize for the winner :onya

The prize is....

That the combined mod will forever bare the winning title...isnt that great?

Hopefully in this way, our community will be happy with the name :piratesahoy!

That's the spirit, mate!
For your information, here's the similar thread we had for Build 14: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/11002-the-future-for-build-14
There's a poll there with all sorts of options; you could choose one of the unchosen options there.

I wonder.. if we DO end up making a Build 15 for Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships, what should THAT be called?
Should it still be "Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons"? Probably not, eh?
"Age of Pirates II: New Horizons"? "Age of Pirates III: New Horizons"? "City of Abandoned Ships II: New Horizons"?
"Age of Pirates II: Pirates of the Caribbean"? Or something different altogether?

Actually since CoAS already HAS a subtitle in the name, what to do with the naming for the Combined Modpack?
Do you keep the City of Abandoned Ships part in the title? Or the Age of Pirates part? Or both?
"Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships: Skull and Crossbones" sounds a bit overkill, no?

And if we DO eventually manage to go ahead and combine PotC + AoP + CoAS + Build Mod + Combined Modpack,
that might be the time to actually put "PiratesAhoy!" in the modpack title.
"Age of Pirates III: PiratesAhoy!" then?

I'm rambling, I know... :razz

Oh... this thread might also be interesting for you: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/10878-pirates-of-the-caribbean-new-horizons-publicity

Yowza...Looks like I've opened a whole can of worms here...

No offence, but the unchosen options looked to have been unchosen for a reason...xD:

I think that build 15 should be:

Age of Pirates II: Pirates Ahoy! as it would be the culmination of everything that we have worked towards. Unfortunatly i think that AOP has fallen through the cracks

But we arent here to talk to about that...we need a decent title for the Combined Mod.

The length of the name could be a problem, however, a good title for the cm may be only one or 2 words, and wouldnt make it that much longer.
Something like:
Age Of Pirates II: City Of Abandoned Ships: Dark Water (or whatever)

As for this:
Oh... this thread might also be interesting for you: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/10878-pirates-of-the-caribbean-new-horizons-publicity

The theme here seems to be to promote our work. I wouldnt be ready to do that until we have a decent name for our mod. Most of our promoting is going to come from modDB and similar sites. As for magazines...i wouldnt even know where to begin.

Age Of Pirates II. Mutiny Bay

OR

Why not name it Age Of Pirates II. Pirates Ahoy. After all, if it wasn't for you all, who would make the mods for the pirate games i love playing so much.

Thanks to all for all your hard work.

Can of worms indeed! :rofl
Promotion through the ModDB works very well; but I agree that it's best to decide on a title for the modpack first.
Then you can post some text, images, videos and articles on various modding efforts that have been done and are going on.
Promotion in magazines is rather tricky; I only ever managed to get the Build Mod into one Dutch gaming magazine and that's it.

I do think that it'd be best to drop half the AoP 2: CoAS title for the modpack title.
Three seems too much to me. I'd suggest either AoP 2: [Whatever] or CoAS: [Whatever] .

I also agree on "Age of Pirates II: PiratesAhoy!" for the final full merged-with-PotC-Build-Mod-content edition. :yes

I will still be posting our cm3.1.5 on modDB, however, when patch 2 is ready for release, that is when I would like to see the new name implemented.

Depending on the chosen name, then we can figure which title we will drop, be it the Age of Pirates II or the City of Abandoned Ships.

As for posting images and the like, I am going to have a tough time designing the pretty headers and stuff that are on the New Horizons modDB page.

Any Graphic Designers out there who wanna lend a hand?

I will still be posting our cm3.1.5 on modDB, however, when patch 2 is ready for release, that is when I would like to see the new name implemented.
You can rename the existing profile and even change the link to it without having to make a new profile. :doff
http://www.moddb.com/mods/edit/city-of-abandoned-ships-combined-mods

As for posting images and the like, I am going to have a tough time designing the pretty headers and stuff that are on the New Horizons modDB page.
Any Graphic Designers out there who wanna lend a hand?
The "pretty header" on the New Horizons profile was NOT made by a Graphic Designer at all!
It was actually made by me and I'm not exactly the most graphically talented person on the planet or even in the community.
I used Photoshop CS2 to take a background, put some text and foreground pictures on it and add some 3D and shadow effects to it all.
I've still got the source PSD file if you want it.

Wow... you've had 2573 downloads of the CM v1.8 Full from the ModDB since it was posted there.
And that is with NO updates being posted, NO promotion being done and NO support being provided on the ModDB.
Now imagine what would happen if you DO do all these things! :woot

Most excellent! We will dozens of users banging down our door once all is adequatly advertised...

Now back to the Topic at Hand:

Names for the combined mod;

Here's a couple to get us started...

City Of Abandoned Ships: Stained Seas
Age of Pirates 2: Dark Water
Age Of Pirates 2: Give Nothing Back

STAINED seas? Like in stains on the sea?
Makes me think of oil disasters. I wouldn't go there if I were you! :shock

I like "Give Nothing Back", though it does sound like a PotC reference.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, actually. Not at all. :cheeky

I agree the title should NOT be Age of Pirates II: PiratesAhoy! until we are doing the joint project but as soon as we are I think the title is excellent :yes

The title for your project should be like New Horizons, just a catchy title that people would enjoy and then when we do start the whole community project we should definatly call it Age of Pirates II: PiratesAhoy! ;)

"You do not have permission to promote posts to articles. "
Well, that's that....

PIETER!!! HELP ME!!! xD:

How about AOP II: Grand Siècle?

It pertains to France specificly but in English it means Grand Century, I thought that could nicely describe CoAS? Then again...the game starts in 1665, kind of the end of the century :shrug

very nice! No referance to oil spills there :cheeky

All kidding aside tho, I like that one...Its kinda a reference to the Golden Age of Piracy...but not quite...just enough to keep our players guessing

Even moderators (forum) dont have permission :facepalm

Its the first button I have pushed for a long time that I have got that message xD:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back