• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A New Method of Wind Sailing

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
I was chatting with @Pieter Boelen and he showed me this:

It seems like a really good solution to the fossil fuel problem, at least for ships.

Example picture:
1767005_orig.jpg

(Thanks Pieter for sharing it.)

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
It probably wouldn't be a complete replacement for fossil fuel engines, but it could certainly help. Early steam ships had sails as well because designers didn't fully trust the engines; new ships could have sails as well as engines because the designers don't fully trust the wind.

The first big ship to carry these wind turbine should also carry an organ. Because we all know another ship famed for its ability to sail without regard to the direction of the wind. The captain probably doesn't need to go the whole way and have a squid face, though. xD

At least for the beginning, the majority of ships are going to be with engines true.
But as the technology progresses maybe it could become more common.

It probably wouldn't be a complete replacement for fossil fuel engines, but it could certainly help. Early steam ships had sails as well because designers didn't fully trust the engines; new ships could have sails as well as engines because the designers don't fully trust the wind.
:rofl :rofl
World on its head.

The first big ship to carry these wind turbine should also carry an organ. Because we all know another ship famed for its ability to sail without regard to the direction of the wind. The captain probably doesn't need to go the whole way and have a squid face, though. xD
Careful there!
I've got contacts involved in actually making this happen.
So there is a slight little chance your joking remarks could become real. ;)

At least for the beginning, the majority of ships are going to be with engines true.
But as the technology progresses maybe it could become more common.
And then there is the Fairtransport company that figures "Engines? We don't need no stinkin' engines!"
Seriously, look 'em up. :shock

Careful there!
Good. The ship needs an organ. It also needs to be able to submerge. And it needs a nuclear-powered engine, partly for when it's underwater and partly for when it's on the surface and there's no wind. It's a cross between Flying Dutchman and Nautilus.

Which makes it the Naughtiest Dutchman. :p

Careful there!
You can actually convince them, to do this? If so do it!

Also, can there be a jar of dirt on board?

And then there is the Fairtransport company that figures "Engines? We don't need no stinkin' engines!"
Seriously, look 'em up. :shock
I really like their idea, I don't know how practical it is for them but it sure is cool. :yes

Good. The ship needs an organ. It also needs to be able to submerge. And it needs a nuclear-powered engine, partly for when it's underwater and partly for when it's on the surface and there's no wind. It's a cross between Flying Dutchman and Nautilus.
True this is also something to consider.

Which makes it the Naughtiest Dutchman. :p
:rofl

You can actually convince them, to do this? If so do it!

Also, can there be a jar of dirt on board?
I didn't get very far into that world.
Not yet anyway.
We'll see what the future brings.

A jar of dirt doesn't sound particularly difficult to arrange though...

I really like their idea, I don't know how practical it is for them but it sure is cool. :yes
Practical? Probably not very.
They basically have paying crew.
And their own special extra-expensive brands.
Because they need to generate their means of existence somehow, don't they?

But then they sail from Europe to Barbados without GPS at all.
And that's just sub-zero cool, that is!

Back east on Chesapeake Bay, there was a "Tugantine"...a conventional steel diesel tugboat perhaps 30 meters or so, with brigantine rig...squares on the fore, fore-and-aft on the main. She was actually a working tug, mostly towing. She often participated in traditional sail races. Don't know how much assist she got from the rig, but she could sail.
A TUG-antine? BRILLIANT!
Is she anything like this?
8155019754_a228893378_b.jpg

That's what I found with a quick image search.

Source: The Quality Simulations Forum • Login

Back