• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion A few questions

To add onto that question - assuming we installed with the Widescreen Patch, are the proportions of the map accurate (as in, I could help myself with a protractor over a screen) when playing in a 16:9 resolution, or is the slightly horizontally-stretched compass rose what we should base our cardinal directions on?
Good question, I'm curious about that too. I'd assume that since in 4:3 the compass on the map would be perfectly round, you'd need to use the outstretched one in 16:9

And another thing I wanted to ask is how can I change the water to its dark blue color, when I installed the mod for the second time I got this very bright sea color for some reason
engine 2021-03-10 18-49-45-94.png

Can you upload the file "system.log"? This is in the top level of the game installation folder.

That includes this line:
Code:
ERROR: Techniques: Find duplicate technique name: radeon8500sea
Make a copy of "MODULES\Techniques\Weather\Sea\RadeonSea.sha". Put the copy somewhere completely outside the game installation folder. This is just to be safe; you want to be able to put it back if this doesn't work, and it must be somewhere that the game can not possibly find it.

There's another, newer version of "RadeonSea.sha" in "MODULES\Techniques\Weather\" and it may be the combination of the pair which is causing trouble. Deleting the older one might solve the problem. Or it might cause the game to crash completely, in which case, put the copied file back.

That includes this line:
Code:
ERROR: Techniques: Find duplicate technique name: radeon8500sea
Make a copy of "MODULES\Techniques\Weather\Sea\RadeonSea.sha". Put the copy somewhere completely outside the game installation folder. This is just to be safe; you want to be able to put it back if this doesn't work, and it must be somewhere that the game can not possibly find it.

There's another, newer version of "RadeonSea.sha" in "MODULES\Techniques\Weather\" and it may be the combination of the pair which is causing trouble. Deleting the older one might solve the problem. Or it might cause the game to crash completely, in which case, put the copied file back.
I cut the file out of the folder and pasted it onto the desktop, however the sea color during the day and night remains unchanged, no error reports in the log this time

Oh I also installed Intel fix thing but I run the game off a dedicated video card, could that be the problem

Attachments

• system.log
    669 bytes · Views: 137
Last edited:
Oh I also installed Intel fix thing but I run the game off a dedicated video card, could that be the problem

Sounds like a possible problem to me. Do you actually have an integrated graphics chip? If you only have dedicated video card, reinstall without the intel graphics fix.

Sounds like a possible problem to me. Do you actually have an integrated graphics chip? If you only have dedicated video card, reinstall without the intel graphics fix.
It was indeed the problem, I fixed it by uninstalling Intel Fix and putting the RadeonSea.sha file back into MODULES\Techniques\Weather\Sea, I have both an intergrated and dedicated cards and I'm running the game on the dedicated one, silly me :D
Thank you for the help :cheers

Last edited:
Have you followee this guide for dual integrated+dedicated setups? PotC can resist most attempts to force it to use the dedicated card unless you do.
Nah, I'm pretty sure it is using the dedicated card because I just tried running it with the intergrated and it crashes on loading in that case, and with integrated there's a noticeable mouse lag on the main menu but with dedicated it's completely fine

Last edited:
Back