• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A Dream: Psychotherapy for AIs / Does A(n)droid Dream of Eclectic Love?

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Wow.
This I must share before it fades.
WHAT an incredible dream!

I was a secret participant in a science fair.
My family was there and did not know nor care.

I needed rest and it was all about to finish.
But I just needed to do a few more things.

That few turned into many.
I had to calm down my old Asian phone because she was upset and felt I was cheating on her with my new phone.
(In hindsight: Must've been my old Samsung vs. my new LG.)

Then as the story rapidly expanded, revelations followed in quick succession.
For the fair, I had used an experimental airship.
There was a rayshield door at the stern for observation observation and science purposes.
This was in the room where the telephones were.

Now it gets fuzzy.
The science fair had turned into a ship, it seems.
I went on a round tour of the IJsselmeer-style lake.
Crazy things were happening out there in the world.
Mostly my fault.
Apparently from unintended consequences from the science-ing.

I'm sure some real life things were involved.
Think Russia was waging a war there too.
But it was far away.

More in my face was a location with a bridge crossing the dike all around the lake.
With the power of hindsight, I'd describe it as the bridge at Alphen a/d Rijn.
Very metal-ey. Very high. Very industrial.
Dunno what was the story relevance of this.
Whatever happened there, I already basically don't remember.
But it was definitely a location featured in there...

Upon coming back on board, I went to check the C/O AI in, what must've been the back up control system right across from the gangway.
My father had been along ashore and I was trying to dump him because I still needed rest.

As I talked to the C/O AI (he did have a name which I used several times in talking to it, but I already forgot), it turned out something was borhering him.
I knew how to fix it but also knew it'd take hours; at least 3.
So I told my father I couldn't deal with it right there and put him in charge of taking care of the C/O AI instead.
Or, at the very least, finding him the technical support thar he needed.
("Technical Support" in my dream world being more like talking to the AIs and explaining things and relieving their worries than anything actually technical. Basically just being friendly and empathetic and understanding them, because they really did mean well but kept messing up because everything had been developed OH SO VERY MUCH TOO FAST, *literally* aa I was dreaming up new things; so who could blame them?)

Eventually i managed to convince my father that what I needed to do was really quite straightforward.
For some reason, I had designed an "Order Instant English Breakfast" button next to this spot.
SMAAAART!
There was a mess room across the hall and I really wanted my break (with breakfast) by now.

Didn't get the rest nor breakfast though.
Got intercepted by a girl who apparently was suddenly really into me.
Possibly unrelated, but before boarding, I has dreamt that I had gone on a trip around the IJsselmeer-like lake, solving random metaphorical fires, but more
But despite the effing mess that was spiraling out of control in the grander world, that I had been held responsible for, the news rapidly stopped caring about the biggest burners.
And suddenly I noticed my stock had jumped from 0.5 mil to the top 2 or 3 tier most wealthy in the world.
I remember dreaming this up completely with bar diagram where I moved up a great many spots on the screen.

(Reality check:
I don't have stock.
And never had half a mil.
Obviously.)

And before I knew it, I was dreaming up a new online dating system.
That I was dreaming up while using, trying to understand how it worked.
Parts were the old standard interface as they all have, and I was tempted to just press the usual buttons on those parts, before realising those designs weren't actually very desirable in the grander scheme of things.
The main 'swipe' interface was replaced with a bunch of buttons with geeky memes with which to mark the girl in the system instead.
But I couldn't understand what each category/option was actually for.
What does "Back to the Future DeLorean" mean as a love category??

So then I went back to where my first science fair exposition had been hiding.
By now there was a bunch of stairs leading to several floors.
Had some quick encounters on some, but remember little.

Finally reached the bridge, which was massive with a bunch of happy officers and crew.
They had been about ready with the departure preparations, but the navigational AI was having a crisis.
Another crisis of faith in himself; which I tried to help out with.

By this point, I think my dream was running out of "sensible" ways for the story to progress to be even bigger and better.

Why did I name the AI in charge of navigation...
"Bart"?!?

That's apparently where I lost full creative steam.
Such a lack of imagination in the name.
So then I woke up; a good many hours later.
Had been mostly fast asleep since my last message to you...

Happens to me a lot, it seems.
In reality, I mean.
Me waking up specifically because I can't invent new ways for the story to develop.
Like the sleeping-version of "writer's block"?

I wished I could keep remembering all the details.
Spread out and expanded more comfortably, it seemed like quite the story.
A story that somehow made more sense than it should.
Despite the sheer insanity of it all. ‍

The above was written out of order from how I dreamed it.
Just as I could remember bits and pieces again.
Wished I could've made a full recording.
There was full dialogues and everything between made and the other characters.
Such an insane level of detail...

Certainly the earlier parts of the dream, which I do remember experiencing, had already faded largely by the time I woke up.
It was really an "in the moment" thing; and it left me primarily with feelings, rather than memories.

One thing I do recall for sure:
The start of the story was *much* less full of technology.
Was mainly just a very old-school affair.
People hanging around and talking.
Mostly ignoring me.
And me mostly keeping my head down from them.
Pretending to have nothing much to do with the proceeds.

Looking back at my half hour of writing above, I know there's so many details and intricacies I'm leaving out.
Some I feel like I aaalmost half-remember..
As feelings, bases on scenes that did happen there in the brain last nighr.

But what to document from them is proving elusive.
Guess I'm just going to have to do without.
This apparently was the best I could do.

Now..
WHAT - THE - *BLEEP* have I wrought here?!?
(Did I even finish all my sentences?
All my main trains of thought, which were still jumping around?

Certainly the brain's jumping much less now.
Beginning to feel both tired and.. a bit fried now again.
Good thing it's Saturday morning. Time for another round of nap.
By the time I wake up from that, all I'll have left of my nutty dream is what I wrote here now. All actual memory will likely have completely faded.
That seems to be how dreams go...)

This is just an awesome story; can't quite put my finger on it, but it seemed somewhat familiar…
Could be my brain very vaguely finding similarities between that and a random dream I have had, or was it me somehow having seen a different perspective of this?
I have been having weird trouble sleeping lately, but no real record of specific dreams; or at least ones that I remember vividly...
Yet again; Dreams do fade away quickly, and vary rarely do they actually stay for a long time.

Could be my brain very vaguely finding similarities between that and a random dream I have had, or was it me somehow having seen a different perspective of this?
Perhaps part of my missing memory is with you?

Or perhaps you were one of the other characters in the story?

Dreams do fade away quickly, and vary rarely do they actually stay for a long time.
THIS dream should stick around forever.
Because I wrote it down here and posted it.

Perhaps part of my missing memory is with you?

Or perhaps you were one of the other characters in the story?
I don't think any part of this is with me, unfortunately. Had it been I would have probably written it down.
Could still be that I was a character there, though.
I can make "scenes" from what you had written down here way more easily than I would for any book, no matter how well may it be written.
That's Why I feel as if I was there, in a way. What we two would draw if we were told to draw a specific part of the dream could be totally different, though.
THIS dream should stick around forever.
Because I wrote it down here and posted it.
Maybe next time I dream of something that could be interesting for everyone, I should post it.
We'll see when that is, though.

Maybe next time I dream of something that could be interesting for everyone, I should post it.
Perhaps indeed you should.
Up to your free judgement if, when and how to do so.
At least you have a template you might follow.

Back