• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A complaint regarding boarding

POOTIS

Powder Monkey
Hello!
As you've probably already guessed I have a complaint to make. Often when I fight a ship and they surrender I board them to talk with their captain one on one. Unfortunately, sometimes the enemy captain may be rather upset, and he obviously has his reasons to be, and will attack me. Sometimes, especially early in-game, I'll lose the fight and die, which means that the 5-10 minutes I spent fighting that ship were completely wasted.
So I ask you, why am I, as captain of a ship, not guarded/followed by two or three of my sailors as backup? Is there an option or command I can give to my men to follow me on another ship when the other ship has surrendered, like in asking them to follow me on shore, which I've missed?

Thank you for taking time in reading my thread, I would also like to apologise if I was in any way offensive or rude, but sometimes it gets rather frustrating realising that the fight and short-lived victory meant nothing.

It's supposed to be a duel. That means you don't have your men and neither does he. ;)

Until you have good skills, abilities, weapons and preferably armour, don't try to board ships which are bigger yours. The system for a surrendered ship works like this:

1: Compare the total of your "Leadership" and "Melee" skill to the enemy's. If his total is higher, he thinks you're a weakling and will duel you.
2: If you beat him on skill, check abilities. If he has "Professional Fencer" and "Iron Will", and you do not, he again thinks you're not worthy to take his ship and will fight. (You must have the abilities personally, not from an officer. You're the one who has to earn his respect. If your second in command has them, perhaps he'll take the ship instead but you won't be around to see it!)
3: If you beat him on skills, and either he's missing one of those abilities or you have them both, he'll surrender his ship.

Overriding these is a check on ship class. If his ship is at least two classes better than yours, he will duel, regardless of skill or ability. On the other hand, if your ship is at least two classes better than his, he'll surrender regardless of skill or ability. What that means is that you can't easily help yourself to a much better ship early in the game; and you won't die randomly after boarding a much smaller ship than your own.

Also, from a storytelling experience perspective, a pirate's life really was as such: victories were often short-lived -- heck, their whole lives were often short-lived! Every moment counts. ;)

But you gotta love that freedom and that horizon!:keith:love

"No, a merry life and a short one shall be my motto." Bartholomew Roberts

Most pirates where hanged or died in battle before they could grow old.

Diseases and dangers where plenty, so the next day could be your last.

@Cerez is competently right!:cheers

Last edited:
Until I see you COMPETENTLY slide across the deck, you mean? :cheeky

Aye, like ol' pal Patchy here:

2zzvep.jpg

The correction did something wrong and didn't notice it. :rofl

But in this case something good came out of it!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl:cheers

EDIT: For once even though it didn't do its job correctly, it COMPETENTLY made the post better!

Last edited:
Back