• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

2 problems i am having.

since the entire game was designed for XP, and we don't have the windows source code, i'd think that's rather impossible. it's more of a matter of finding the correct angle to kick vista up the butt from so it does what you want.

POTC runs so much better in Win7 for me that I'm not going to use the compatibility thingy.

I also have a new theory, or is it hypotheses, about the GA.

For me it runs better in compatibility mode,:shrug just my experience though...I have windows 7 home premium SP1 and I run this in compatibility with XP SP3

Win7 64 professional sp1 here. Every computer is different and what works for one might not work for another. When I got this computer it came with XP pro, and it never ran well. Vista was a big improvement and Win7 is another step up.

Yeah, did you hear that they plan to release windows 8 in the fall of next year?

No let us reason together. :drunk I mentioned it in another thread. The forts seem to be causing a lot of the GA. I discovered this by wrecking my ship and then sailing away from a fort. Someone needs to give the forts a thorough fumigation.

As a matter of fact, some of the islands are messed up with bad box files and box centers, whatever those are.

i see that bad island collision as reefs for the sake of practicality. sometimes they are. finding some of the beaches in realistic mode is a pain on occasion though. they're often much further out to sea than you expect, so you'd be sailing past the proper part of the coastline but not find the beach.

I think Forts may well be part of the problem, as GA only seems to happen near them(probably). Now the question is what has happened to the forts files(flags) during the time GA became a problem? Anyone have the old fort files to compare against?

And i like the reef thing Morgan :keith Now wouldn't it be great if we could have real reefs in the game, and maybe special maps to show the routes through ;) The Dutch port on the island of Curacao feels a little out of place also, that one i always find hard to get into - not sure why(anchoring point quite far off the rock edge maybe?). Maybe a few of the location files have been knocked about a bit down the years?

Unrelated... I unlocked light repairs as one of my abilities but I cant use it.
I am sitting in the harbor, not in combat, and I click on abilities button and all there is
is the X to close the menu...

edit*
wait does light repairs only work
if you have under 10% hull hp?
I thought it was repair 10% of your total hull
whenever. I guess you have to be practically sinking to use it?

there's one particular point in the antigua passage where there's an actual reef. you're can't see it above water, but it's visible underneath. that one got me a few times.

that's right. in fact, 10% HP means you are, in fact, sinking.

The last time I specifically used light repairs was yesterday and the ship was sinking. Methinks that light repairs means that the crew will automatically repair the ship while sailing from port to port.

It even says it on the ability description :mm, and how do you play the game for this long and not know that :facepalm, lol xD:

I think CCC added some code to prevent you using Light Repairs while in battle. Should work outside battles.

The ability description is misleading. At least to me.
Where it says repair up to 10% of your max hp
I took it to mean any 10%.
Like if I'm at 87% I can repair to 97%.

Fair point Lomen, we have recently been going through the 'Advanced Options' to make them more clear and less convoluted, and maybe a few of the 'Abilities' could do with a look at also? A change of wording here is probably in order(i'll move that suggestion over to a more relevant thread).

i think only quick repairs doesn't work in battles. light repairs should. and even if it doesn't, it should anyway. what are the odds of escaping a battle with 10% health left? it's more likely that you'll need it to not sink in the battle itself. on the other hand, it would be annoying if the enemy used it.

Sorry; indeed I WAS talking of QUICK repairs and not the Light one.

Back