• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 1st Rate HMS Prince modeled by James Rosenkranz

SeaNorris.

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Hi,

We have been given the go ahead to use the HMS Prince modeled by James Rosenkranz (aka victariand). :dance

I have uploaded the files to my folder on the FTP and I have also included a few files that should be helpful for scaling to the game. I created two boxes one for the keel length as built with the following dimensions: 131ft x 5ft 10inch x 19ft and the other for the beam as built with the following dimensions: 5ft 10inches x 44ft 10inches x 19ft. These were then scaled exactly the same way as I scaled the Neptunus so should be accurate (a character from the game is approx 2 inches tall real scale in 3ds Max).

Here is a link to Jim's website with some of his other fantastic work: http://www.jrosenkranz.com/index.html

Regards,

Hi,

We have been given the go ahead to use the HMS Prince modeled by James Rosenkranz (aka victariand). :dance

I have uploaded the files to my folder on the FTP and I have also included a few files that should be helpful for scaling to the game. I created two boxes one for the keel length as built with the following dimensions: 131ft x 5ft 10inch x 19ft and the other for the beam as built with the following dimensions: 5ft 10inches x 44ft 10inches x 19ft. These were then scaled exactly the same way as I scaled the Neptunus so should be accurate (a character from the game is approx 2 inches tall real scale in 3ds Max).

Here is a link to Jim's website with some of his other fantastic work: http://www.jrosenkranz.com/index.html

Regards,

Wonderful news! One of my very favorite ships!

MK

AWW..RIGHT! :warr

The last of the PotBS v1.26 lost ships now in OUR far more capable hands.

We got em all me hearties YARRRRR.

Invincible: (San Felipe) Courtesy of Pgargon

Trinity: Currently in the process of being made ready through the hard work of Armada (be sure to back him up as needed).

And now.... The Prince.

The "Triumphant" 2nd rate doesn't really count, as it turns that ship was just an underguned model clone of the San Felipe/Invincible.

You the MAN SeaNorris! :bow

Only question left is who's going to tackle this beauty?

I could tackle with it, but I tried to open *.mb files and got errors saying file is damaged or corrupted. What Maya version was used? If SeaNorris could scale them in max to be accurate and just upload max scene file (I have max 2008), I could do the rest needed to put it in-game

This truly is a wonderful find! What a beautiful model! :woot
Launched in 1670 and with a distinguished career, I'm sure she'll be a great addition to both games.
Better still, she could even replace most of the POTC stock 'Manowar' models; new ship for Governor Silehard, methinks! :dance

I could tackle with it, but I tried to open *.mb files and got errors saying file is damaged or corrupted. What Maya version was used? If SeaNorris could scale them in max to be accurate and just upload max scene file (I have max 2008), I could do the rest needed to put it in-game
You need to use a HEX editor to open the MB file first, and change the '7.0' (presumably meaning Maya 2007) to '5.0'.
Once saved, you can safely open the file in Maya 5.0. An error message appears saying there may have been some data loss, which you can ignore, because the model is displayed correctly.
Anyway, I took the liberty of making that initial conversion myself, and ensuring each component has the correct render stats (and there are LOADS of components!)
I also had to convert one JPEG texture to a TGA, but unfortunately we're missing 'victariand_Prince_wood.tga'.
The model has 46214 polygons, so we're looking at over 100k once they've been triangulated and the cannons are added.
If you want to take the ship on, I'll upload the files to my FTP folder.

Here's how the ship looks with all but one texture applied... I think you'll agree she's absolutely stunning: :keith
HMS_Prince1.jpg

@SeaNorris, could you please ask the kind modeller to provide the missing texture? It's a pretty crucial one that I doubt we could replicate...

@SeaNorris, could you please ask the kind modeller to provide the missing texture? It's a pretty crucial one that I doubt we could replicate...

Have you tried the AOP wood texture in my FTP folder? It may be the missing one as models submitted to FLS share the same base textures (wood, metal and deck with a grain and basic planking texture), if none of them work I will get in contact with Jim again.

And thanks for the pictures :)

Regards,

Yeah, I can take it on since I currently have no other project in mind to start to model right now.
OK then. I'll just finish sorting out UV error for the underwater hull, and then I'll put her on the FTP. :onya

EDIT: here are the files: http://www.pyratesah...Prince_files.7z
I'm assuming you already have the files from SeaNorris' folder, so I only uploaded the updated model and the texture I converted.

Have you tried the AOP wood texture in my FTP folder? It may be the missing one as models submitted to FLS share the same base textures (wood, metal and deck with a grain and basic planking texture), if none of them work I will get in contact with Jim again.
Oh, that texture! You're right of course, it's the correct format for the components' UVs.
However, it's definitely not the right colour, if we're to assume the ship should look like this: http://www.jrosenkra...lery/Prince.jpg
Some of the wood is too light, and doesn't match the rest of the colour scheme. I could probably adjust the texture based on that reference image, though, so we might not need the official version.

Oh, that texture! You're right of course, it's the correct format for the components' UVs.
However, it's definitely not the right colour, if we're to assume the ship should look like this: http://www.jrosenkra...lery/Prince.jpg
Some of the wood is too light, and doesn't match the rest of the colour scheme. I could probably adjust the texture based on that reference image, though, so we might not need the official version.

Before you adjust the texture maybe check what it looks like rendered, because when I rendered the Neptunus using mental ray with a daylight system the textures looked lighter. The image looks like a showcase render and may be rendered with some technical stuff as well. :cheeky

Regards,

Before you adjust the texture maybe check what it looks like rendered, because when I rendered the Neptunus using mental ray with a daylight system the textures looked lighter. The image looks like a showcase render and may be rendered with some technical stuff as well. :cheeky
Yeah I realise that, it was probably rendered using methods that are beyond me. :wacko:
I'll use the other textures for reference anyway, and will take into account the difference produced by the rendered effects.

Which Prince is this? (launch date)
This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Prince_%281670%29
Launched in 1670 and with a distinguished career, I'm sure she'll be a great addition to both games.

A very well done model! :onya looking at her history, its really amazing that she was still on active service 2 years after construction on HMS Victory began, and was not broken up until the year the Prince de Neufchatel was built. The rebuilds obviously lengthed her life, but 143 years of service is still very impressive!

Iron Roger, I've just uploaded a modified version of the high-detail cannon model used on most of Pgargon's ships: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced%20Captain/Ship%20Components/Cannon1_low.mb
I've adapted it to use just two textures (one for the cannon and another for the rope tethers), and also tweaked the shape and UVs.
I thought it might be useful for the HMS Prince, since the cannon has very few faces but retains a high level of detail.
(You might have to remove the rope tethers if the total number of faces of the ship and cannons gets too high, though.)

LOL, what a coincidence! :blink:

Oh and by the way, don't forget you'll need to add all the gunport hatches as well as the actual guns.
I just realised the hatches were missing on the Trinity model, too, so unfortunately it's more work. :facepalm

Back