• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

1st Class vessels

Greyfoot

Sailor
So I am a noob on this site but not with pirate games :cheers hell I started with Pirates! on C-64!
My topic is about what is the best choice of a 1st class ship?
Or what is YOUR choice?
What are the options?
Is there any other than man-of-war,lineship or battleship?

So I am a noob on this site but not with pirate games :cheers hell I started with Pirates! on C-64!
My topic is about what is the best choice of a 1st class ship?
Or what is YOUR choice?
What are the options?
Is there any other than man-of-war,lineship or battleship?

I love the Man of War ship.
It's just so HUGE, it makes others look like Rafts compared to it, So my choice would be that. second would be the Flying Dutchman (Warship?) but it's masts get taken down very quickly.

its definitely SoleyRu
:? Soley Ru? Never heard of it probably didn't do enough missions yet.Is it a special one like Blue Bird?Or just an upgraded like Sea Wolf?
I have this Battleship now fully upgraded-cost about 2million-yo man needed 3500mahagony for increasing the cargo!!!
1490ebony and 1070 sandalwood for the hull and 8630 fruits and 10356 clothes for crew!!!I cant remember the speed and sailing cause I done them earlier.
But still the ships turning rate is horrible its speed is ok and has 1036crew, some 9667 hull and a whooping 8977 cargohold!
Its useless unfortunately...How I miss my Tímea!Shes a fully upgraded corvette I think still moored in nevis...

Anyone favours a lineship here? I mean my battleship is USELESS!Can't turn,slow like hell 15.37 with overloaded crew...
So an upgraded lineship would have better stats?I remember when I encountered the golden fleet it had 5warsips protecting it and I had no problem sinking them with a fully upgraded frigate.
So basically I just want to be sure and everyone feel free to add their opinion-I try to list here the ships by class:
Class 1: -Man of War
-Battleship
-Ship of the Line

Class 2: -Warship
-Frigate

Class 3: -Heavy Galleon
-Corvette
-Pinnace

Class 4: -Galleon
-Brig
-Brigantine
-Fluyt

Class 5: -Caravel
-Schooner
-Barque
-Barquentine

Class 6: -Sloop
-Lugger
-War Tartane
-Tartane

And then there is the Blue Bird which I think is a Xebec I can't remember which class and I never encountered another Xebec during the game.
Please feel free to add any ship u might want.

i cheated and reloaded till i got a Arabella that does 16.95 kts upgraded to 20.something

its an amazing ship with a max of 512 crew plus 42lbs guns.

As for 1st rate ships, id choose one with huge cargo space and maybe a base of at least 13 kts. but id never make it my flagship they are all just too unwieldy and the POS is way too low to make it do anything other than attack forts.

My other favourite is a Surprise (mod added frigate) that has insane cargo hold of 4000 something and does about 20kts with silk sails.

However soon my complete domination over the seas in these ships has compelled me to start a new game because id like to try playing without such powerful ships.

Also i have noticed that enemy ships are just sucking in the battle department, compared to Sid Miers Pirates! the AI ships in this game are basicly always sitting ducks waiting for me to come board them and take their loot.

Anyone favours a lineship here? I mean my battleship is USELESS!Can't turn,slow like hell 15.37 with overloaded crew...
So an upgraded lineship would have better stats?I remember when I encountered the golden fleet it had 5warsips protecting it and I had no problem sinking them with a fully upgraded frigate.
So basically I just want to be sure and everyone feel free to add their opinion-I try to list here the ships by class:

Hello Greyfoot.

I favors the ship-of-the-line also. The bigger ships are simply to slow to turn. I have an ship-of-the-line which I have upgraded to turn better and sail faster. I have a man of war in my fleet but I have turned her over to my most trusted companion instead.

its definitely SoleyRu
:? Soley Ru? Never heard of it probably
yah, u do french governor general quest, u can get actually 2 of these ship.with blue striped sails.
upgraded stats:-
crew ~1300
cannon -42lbs x 112
hull ~13000
speed ~13.5
Sounds like a man-o-war...
Manuverability and most importantly point of sail???
I changed my flagship to this ship-o-the-line which I captured ages ago and its far better than my battleship was.I'll check out this SoleyRu but I am still struggling with Isabella...
Does she worth it?

On what difficulty they sitting ducks?
I have plenty of sweating moments, enemies try to escape throwing cargo overboard, shooting knippels trying to slow me down or merchant convoys spread out to different directions making very hard to catch every one of them.Or ships protecting them will do ANYTHING to stop u even steer close to you and blow up their own ship!Military ships bomb u till u sink or give u a couple of terrible broadside of buckshot and then board ur ship.
Try adjusting the difficulty level...u'll find hell of a challenge
(Of course u will be gutted pretty frequently during swordfights)

i was playing on corsair... so medium

i doubt a difficulty change would keep the AI from trying to sail directly into the wind as they often seemed to do under certain circumstances. Or allow them to hold fire till im in an effective range to do real damage. Usually they just fire as soon as possible leaving me pleanty of time to sail up and board them.

the most trouble id get was from smaller ships that reload fast, killing my sails. if theyre fast enough to leave me ive realised that they usually have dropped all their cargo by then anywya.

This time im playing one tick below Impossible in hardcore mode but im still training swords in town and have yet to take to the sea. So it should be tough regardless.

Back