• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

14. 1 beta bug. Ship rooted to the "ground" (sea).

Odieman

Powder Monkey
Ok so this morning, I finished the recapture of the santiago questline in the Bartolomeu story. I decided to postpond the new questline, as I wanted to do some ship combat smuggling and so forth. I went to conception, and got a letter of marque, I also upgraded my ship with what money I had available. So that the only upgrades I didnt have was flush ship (the one you can do in pirate ports), and the bronze cannons. I decided to go to the governor and get a mission. So I went to my ship, and sailed to my enemy ship (the one I was supposed to sink for the governor), (by doing sail to).

And heres the bug. My ship wouldnt move a cm. Not an inch, and it was not because of the wind. So I reloaded and still the same. Reloaded and removed all my upgrades except reinforced hull (which cant be removed). And still the same, the ship wouldnt move. I loaded a save before my governor mission, so it had nothing to do with that. When I sailed to the island my ship was fine.

So basically my upgrades have basically ruined my ship, as I cant move it at all. Only "sail to", and map sailing. The ship in question is the santiago from the bartolomeu quest. I had enough money to buy another ship, and swapped ships with my officer so that he sailed the santiago. The new ship I bought sailed perfectly fine. But the santiago, again didnt move an inch, even if not in my hands. I even remember it saying -1 and -2 knots when I tried to sail her after thew upgrades.

Anyway thought you should know. I have a hunch that it may be the copper plating upgrade, but I cant be sure, the reason why I am saying this is because Ive had a ship before that had the other upgrades but not that one, altough it might be a ship specific bug as well, I dont know.

EDIT: (Copy/paste from my post further down the page).
Ok so Ive been testing a bit and come to the following results. After aquiring the ship, i emidiatly went to the pirate port Nevis, and tested each upgrade seperatly. In other words I saved my game in front of the shipyard guy, and upgraded a upgrade went to sea to see if the ship functioned properly.
With the following results:
All these results are for the Santiago caravelle in the Bartolomeu quest. With the 14.1 beta version.

Cotton sails, - works fine no problem (these were attached upon getting the ship)
Bronze Chasers, - Works fine
Bronze Cannons, - works fine

Reinforced Hull, - The ship functions perfectly fine. BUT when sailing, the ship hp meter is completely black. Also when I boarded a vessel, and I got to the menu where you can take control of a ship, take goods and so forth, the Max HP tag showed MAX HP: 0 On my ship. I dont think the ship has less hp than usual. And neither do I know if the ship is unsinkable as a result of the black hp line. Either way its bugged.

Stays, - The ship can sail forwards, but is unable to turn, in other words bugged, atleast for the santiago.

Copper Plating, - Ship is grounded, and can neither turn nor sail forward. I.e, the upgrade is bugged at least for this ship.
Long Top Masts, - Ship is grounded, and can neither turn nor sail forward. I.e, the upgrade is bugged at least for this ship.

Flush Ship, - Upon Upgrading, the game stalls completely, music starts to stutter, and the game crashes in a matter of seconds. It crashes to deskop with the "the following program has stopped working" message ,( I tried this twice and both times with the same result).

Now I dont know how the situation is with other ships, but I am going to get into the game straight away and try a random ship from the shipyard.

EDIT 2: (Copy paste from my post further down).

Ok so I did some further testing.
I bought a Barque Lounge and tried all of the upgrades on this ship, and found some interesting results.

All the upgrades except one functioned properly.

The one that didnt work was the flush ship one. The game didnt crash upon upgrading. However when putting to sea, my ships hp bar was black. In other words the upgrade had the same effect on this ship as the Armoured hull upgrade had on the Santiago.

Since the game didnt crash with flush ship upgrade on the Barque Lounge I tried upgrading flush ship on the Santiago whilst one of my officers had her. And the game didnt crash. I went to sea, and the flush upgrade had the same effect on the santiago as on the Barque Lounge, in other words, the hp line was black.
I reloaded again, and tried again, but this time after upgrading the flush ship upgrade on the santiago (with the same procedure asd above, i.e my officer controlled her). It didnt crash now either, however when trying to upgrade the hull whilst haveing flushed ship upgrade, the game crashed, weird. After this I tried again to upgrade the santiago (whilst me controlling her), with the flush ship upgrade, but
the game crashed.

EDIT: 3

It seems that the stays upgrade prevents the Santiago from turning, found this out after upgrading the upgrades I knew (or thought it seems), were functional for the santiago.

That indeed is strange. Other ships sail fine I suppose, and I've checked the WBT (that's Build Beta ship handling) file and inspected the config. for Santiago.

if (!bArcadeMode){
refShip.SpeedRate = 11.3;
refShip.TurnRate = 65;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX = 6; refShip.InertiaBrakingX = 0.4;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY = 2.5; refShip.InertiaBrakingY = 0.5;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ = 2.5; refShip.InertiaBrakingZ = 2.0;
}else{
refShip.SpeedRate = 11.8;
refShip.TurnRate = 34;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX = 0.2; refShip.InertiaBrakingX = 2.0;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY = 6; refShip.InertiaBrakingY = 4;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ = 3.0; refShip.InertiaBrakingZ = 3.0;
}

This is Santiago's top speed, maneuverability and 3D acceleration values (which controls everything from acceleration, braking, turning forces from the rudder).

Below is a ship that I'm sailing, the jury-rigged war schooner, and the code:

if (!bArcadeMode){
refShip.SpeedRate = 14.5;
refShip.TurnRate = 85;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX = 4; refShip.InertiaBrakingX = 0.4;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY = 2.25; refShip.InertiaBrakingY = 0.5;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ = 2.5; refShip.InertiaBrakingZ = 2.0;
}else{
refShip.SpeedRate = 16.3;
refShip.TurnRate = 46.55;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX = 0.2; refShip.InertiaBrakingX = 2.0;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY = 12; refShip.InertiaBrakingY = 8;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ = 5.0; refShip.InertiaBrakingZ = 4.0;
}

Okay, to my eye, they look exactly the same. Santiago also uses a copy/paste ship handling code from the lateen rigged caravel and for that matter, the arcade and realistic option-specific code is from CM's sample.

Has anyone got a clue to this?

The "Ship rooted to ground" bug is similar but not identical to the "USS Constitution unable to turn" issue from Alpha 10. In this case Constitution was missing the TurnRate code, Santiago here sounds like it's missing the Speed code. But that's not the case here; the speed code is definitely present.

Yeah, I have a previous save which I am gonna load (need to do a bit of questing to get the ship again), and test the various upgrades, to confirm that thats whats the cause of the bug. Beacuse she sailed just fine untill I reached concesion and upgraded her.

Ok so this morning, I finished the recapture of the santiago questline in the Bartolomeu story. I decided to postpond the new questline, as I wanted to do some ship combat smuggling and so forth. I went to conception, and got a letter of marque,...........................

............................................................ The new ship I bought sailed perfectly fine. But the santiago, again didnt move an inch, even if not in my hands. I even remember it saying -1 and -2 knots when I tried to sail her after thew upgrades.

The only time I have had minus speed figs. (in Build 14 Alpha's) is when I have hit objects ( underwater rocks ) or got too close to rocks - trying to sail in & out of Devils Throat, Jamaica.

Could it be a problem with where the Santiago is moored at Concepcion ( locator problem in the harbour ). :shrug

What would happen if you tried to do your smuggling & upgrades etc at a different island.

Ok so Ive been testing a bit and come to the following results. After aquiring the ship, i emidiatly went to the pirate port Nevis, and tested each upgrade seperatly. In other words I saved my game in front of the shipyard guy, and upgraded a upgrade went to sea to see if the ship functioned properly.
With the following results:
All these results are for the Santiago caravelle in the Bartolomeu quest. With the 14.1 beta version.

Cotton sails, - works fine no problem (these were attached upon getting the ship)
Stays, - Works fine no problems.
Bronze Chasers, - Works fine
Bronze Cannons, - works fine

Reinforced Hull, - The ship functions perfectly fine. BUT when sailing, the ship hp meter is completely black. Also when I boarded a vessel, and I got to the menu where you can take control of a ship, take goods and so forth, the Max HP tag showed MAX HP: 0 On my ship. I dont think the ship has less hp than usual. And neither do I know if the ship is unsinkable as a result of the black hp line. Either way its bugged.

Copper Plating, - Ship is grounded, and can neither turn nor sail forward. I.e, the upgrade is bugged at least for this upgrade.
Long Top Masts, - Ship is grounded, and can neither turn nor sail forward. I.e, the upgrade is bugged at least for this upgrade.

Flush Ship, - Upon Upgrading the game stalls music and everything, and crashes to deskop with the "the following program has stopped working" ( I tried this twice and both times with the same result.

Now I dont know how the situation is with other ships, but I am going to get into the game straight away and try a random ship from the shipyard.

EDIT:
Ok so I did some further testing.
I bought a Barque Lounge and tried all of the upgrades on this ship, and found some interesting results.

All the upgrades except one functioned properly.

The one that didnt work was the flush ship one. The game didnt crash upon upgrading. However when putting to sea, my ships hp bar was black. In other words the upgrade had the same effect on this ship as the Armoured hull upgrade had on the Santiago.

Since the game didnt crash with flush ship upgrade on the Barque Lounge I tried upgrading flush ship on the Santiago whilst one of my officers had her. And the game didnt crash. I went to sea, and the flush upgrade had the same effect on the santiago as on the Barque Lounge, in other words, the hp line was black.
I reloaded again, and tried again, but this time after upgrading the flush ship upgrade on the santiago (with the same procedure asd above, i.e my officer controlled her). It didnt crash now either, however when trying to upgrade the hull whilst haveing flushed ship upgrade, the game crashed, weird. After this I tried again to upgrade the santiago (whilst me controlling her), with the flush ship upgrade, but
the game crashed.

EDIT: 2

It seems that the stays upgrade prevents the Santiago from turning, found this out after upgrading the upgrades I knew (or thought it seems), were functional for the santiago.

This is actually a confirmed problem from previous versions :modding

Thanks for the testing as now we know what does and what DOESNT work :onya

What appears to happen is for those upgrades that are bugged automatically set your stats to 0 (including HP), hopefully Pirate_KK, Screwface or Hook come across this thread and see if they can fix it :yes

Till then Im afraid you wont be able to upgrade your ship :(

This is most valuable information; thanks very much! :woot

Note that in Beta 1, Realistic Game Mode is on by default,
which means that with the wind from dead ahead,
your ship will move backwards and you'll see negative speeds indicated.

Ok I havnt edited any files and just tried installing the upgrades one by one for the lugger1... My ship still works (not sure if upgrade works) but the ship still sails fine :shrug

It sounds like some upgrades work on some ships and not on others.
In other words, it sounds pretty random. I hate that! :whipa

Worst case scenario we'll just disable the ship customisation by default - thanks to the nation-influenced ship stats and randomisation we have there wouldn't be a case of two completely identical boats anyway.

Iv had this with the black pearl, if you leave the ship at a port when you take it back it sinks as soon as you try to sail it lol

We know what happens for every ship, if its got a certain attribute its stats get stuffed up. But like I said, its all good now ready for release

Back