• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

MOD TextScaler for Vanilla and GOF2.0-1.5b

get_crzy

Landlubber
Hi feller pirates!

I found this game recently on Steam as I was looking to see if there were other 'Sid Meier Pirates' games out there. I really started to enjoy the game itself and then looked into the GoF mod that adds a bunch of ships and other quality of life additions to the game. But there was this one glaring QoL missing from most of the mods that I was looking into: the text scaling for the data info during land and sea battle compass itself and info text were never really scaled past their originals. See the table below with my native resolution set to 4096 x 2160 (just above 4K) and what I had to deal with before and after my changes. So I went on a journey to figure this out, luckily I had learned C++ back in my college days so using that experience and VS Code I produced this mod.

With this mod we can now better scale the info text of various different elements in the game that I was able to find. I believe most of these are not covered by mods that currently exist.
I'm making this available on unmodded Vanilla releases and modded GoF 2.0-1.5b patched game.

Read the instructions found in the zip files on how to install and update as desired.

A few of notes:

Compatibility with other mods:
At most I know it works with the GoF 2.0-1.5b patched game. There's no good way to handle mod ordering here so if you want these changes with a separate set of mods just use VS Code or any other popular IDE and compare the changes to the files I'm making against the other mods. If the other mods are not changing any of the files I'm touching you shouldn't need to worry. If they are the only issue would be if there's a fundamental change to the specific lines related to the 'modded values' section that I add in certain scripts (So note the variables I'm using and check all other lines there those variables exist for anything that look too different for my lines. This is definitely for advanced users.) For GoF install the vanilla game first, then their mod, then my mod.

Icons misplacement:
As you can also see in the table Before pictures, some of the icons are not necessarily scaled to their correct spots. More than likely because I'm not scaling everything (ie. the character and ship data on the top left side) and I also can't find exactly where or how these are controlled. If you have some clue let me know.

World map compass not scaled:
I have no idea where in the code I can find this. I was assuming Wminterface.c but not really sure and I don't think it's too necessary to have scaled as the log messages already tell you if you're running out of supplies and the wind compass looked okay to me even at such a high resolution. If you can help me figure this out cool, just let me know what I should be looking at.

This is my very first mod of any game that I share publicly.
I may check the thread for any questions or such, just make sure to read the instructions in the zip files as needed before you do so.
I hope you enjoy this mod and that it helps you plunder this pretty cool game!
-get_crzy

Before​
After​
1726253429017.png
1726253728868.png
1726253822882.png
1726253894329.png

Disclaimer:
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Attachments

• textScalerMod_GOF2.0-1.5b.zip
    75.9 KB · Views: 7
  • textScalerMod_Vanilla.zip
    73.7 KB · Views: 7
Back