• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ironman mode

SRACon17

Sailor Apprentice
so, i just started the standard storyline with ironman mode activated(my first time to use it) and swashbuckler difficulty, but i immediately changed the difficulty since i always died in duels. what exactly are the aspects affected by the difficulty?

as for my real topic, the ironman mode, it's really immersive and lots of fun. sailing from barbados to port royal(i didn't choose the stormy start) with just a wind direction indicator and dead reckoning is very rewarding, since imo using the world map is a kind of cheat. also using the spyglass is very realistic, since it doesn't give you any information at all. when i sailed out from barbados, there in the distance approaching me were two ships. i only recognized them as a pirate frigate and a brig when they were near enough to spot and chase me, so i spent many hours of trying to outrun them and evade their fire, but escaping them is very rewarding. then i realized that there's this "CTRL+arrowkey" function to look at other ships. since then i didn't use the spyglass just to know another ship's nationality again(can't resist to use the CTRL+arrowkey function). might i recommend in the next update that this feature be disabled for the ironman mode for better immersion? also, how can i disable this feature in my game? thanks :)

See here for an explanatory article on the different modes:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/features/arcade-realistic-and-iron-man-game-mode

Good point on Ctrl+Arrow. In PROGRAM\seadogs.c find:
Code:
// KK -->
            case "ILeft":
                if (bKeyboardControl) SeaCameras_SetPreviousShip();
            break;
            case "IRight":
                if (bKeyboardControl) SeaCameras_SetNextShip();
            break;
            case "IDown":
                if (bKeyboardControl) SeaCameras_SetMyShip();
            break;
            case "ControlDown": bKeyboardControl = true; break;
            case "ControlUp": bKeyboardControl = false; break;
// <-- KK
Replace with:
Code:
// KK -->
            case "ILeft":
                if (bKeyboardControl && !IRON_MAN_MODE) SeaCameras_SetPreviousShip();
            break;
            case "IRight":
                if (bKeyboardControl && !IRON_MAN_MODE) SeaCameras_SetNextShip();
            break;
            case "IDown":
                if (bKeyboardControl && !IRON_MAN_MODE) SeaCameras_SetMyShip();
            break;
            case "ControlDown": bKeyboardControl = true; break;
            case "ControlUp": bKeyboardControl = false; break;
// <-- KK
Let us know how that works.

Glad to hear you enjoy this feature in the game. I never thought many people would use it, so it's great to hear when people do. :doff

thanks for the info. i just tried the code, and it worked perfectly :)

EDIT: for the changes in "difficulty", what i meant was for the journeyman, adventurer, swashbuckler, etc..

For the best experience Journeyman or Adventurer levels should be chosen. Swashbuckler means your opponents are stronger, goods cost more to buy and sell for less, and in general, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

Back