• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Disable Abilities

SRACon17

Sailor Apprentice
Is there any way to disable character abilities in the game? I would like to disable the 'Instant Boarding' ability since i'm playing with ironman mode and it's very unrealistic to be able to teleport beside other ships. also the 'Pre-reloading' ability, since imo it gives an unfair advantage for the player. Thanks :)

Eh? If you do not want to use it, do not check the box enabling it and do not use it.

Actually, you do make a fair point that some of those defeat the purpose of Iron Man Mode.
Could you make a list of abilities you reckon should be disabled? Then we can easily add some if-statements around those to make them disappear.

I think only the Instant Boarding and Pre-reloading abilities, perhaps also the Rush ability, should be removed for the ironman mode. The Instant Boarding since imo it is the biggest cheat in the game, and Pre-reloading since i never see enemy ships fire their guns as fast as i do when using that ability, so i think enemy characters don't use it (do they?), even when i'm fighting powerful enemies. Also, the Rush ability can perhaps be removed too, at least in the ironman mode, since when you have a high enough defense skill, it can be used unlimited times to deal massive damage to the enemy, while they don't seem capable of using it against you. Hmm, is it possible to limit the Clubhauling ability to only when your ship is moving at speed? Because it seems quite strange for a ship to turn in an instant even when it is moving very slowly without any momentum.
Thank you Pieter for your consideration. Could you tell me which files i should change to modify those abilities?

EDIT: Also, is it possible to change your character name when you are already promoted? I started the game with the default nathaniel hawk name. I was promoted to midshipman and now i want to change my name to create my own character. But i can't do it because everytime i edit my name in the character interface, the name Nathaniel never disappears. Can you help me too on this? Thanks :)

Not sure how to limit the Clubhauling as you suggest; I'd have to investigate that.

At the moment, I don't have access to my game files, but if I recall the abilities are set up in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks or something like that.

I have no idea if the enemy ever uses Pre-Reloading. If your experience tells you that they don't, you're probably right about it.

There's probably a slight bug with the character rename code when you've also got a title.
Perhaps you can make it work through console instead. Try something like:

pchar.name = "SRA";
pchar.lastname = "Con17";

I'm writing the above from memory though, so I can't show you exact code excerpts of where to put this.
There should be other members here who can assist you with the console though if you haven't used it before.

Hey Gentlemen,

I just stumbled over this thread.

Are you sure it is necessary to disable certain abilities in iron mode?

Because ... if you don't want to use a certain ability, you simply must not use it. Or, even better, you must not even learn it. This is ones personal decision.
But if they are all disabled when switching to iron man mode, they will be disabled for everyone.
Think about it ... if we now enlist all abilities, that would interfere with iron man mode for reasons of realism, I am pretty sure we would'n enlist the same abilities.

I for example don't like the instant boarding ability. I have no idea what this should be in real world. But, on the other hand, I like the clubhauling. It may not be very realistic, too, but I like it and use it, in iron man mode. I think any player should make his own decision about using or not using abilities.

Cheers!

Iron Man Mode is not enabled by default. It is the UBER-realism mode of the game, so I see no issue in disabling any massively unrealistic abilities such as "Instant Boarding" in this case.

The suggestion on Club Hauling was to only allow you to do this when you're actually making headway.
That does make sense, but I don't know how to enforce it at this time. So for now, I'll just leave it enabled altogether.

Thanks for reminding me of this though. See attached for the file that should disable Rush, Pre-Reloading and Instant Boarding in Iron Man Mode.
File goes into PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks . Is there anyone who can test this?

Attachments

• perks_init.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 94
thanks Pieter. i've tried it and it works for a new game. for existing saves, they still appear in the abilities list but i can't test if they work because i'm out of ability points.

Indeed it would only work on a new game; the code change is in the initialization file, which is executed only when the game is started. :doff

Back