• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Models!

Or a programmer to write a wrapper for automatic scenario generator.
How difficult is that?
I got into PotC modding through basic programming myself; so maybe @Fausty could do the same?

Just trying to think if there's any way you can help each other here. :doff

The roundness of the hulls forms.

shot0001_2.png

shot0002_2.png

shot0009_1.png
I now use the latest frigates for extensive testing of the scenario system, so there is a ton of screenshots (and I think I can allow myself to play with the models sometimes, not only make them :) )

In fact, randomizing a Royal Navy Frigate Commission all around the world works rather well, but I have yet figured out what can be done for larger warships except for being NPC units - that is how to simulate commanding a 74 without dying of boredom on blockade.

Last edited:
Added rudder holes in the transoms for all ships that have full-width keels. They are generally visible only when the sun is low, yet still give better impression of the ship's structure :)

shot0000_1.png

A little experiment - I wanted how the guns might have looked if run out:

endy_w_guns.png
Unfortunately, the old engine will go crazy over this, so it's not going to be implemented straight away, but it shows how little effort is needed to adapt the models to more detailed requirements - you just add gun muzzles, gunport lids, new guns, put some decals on deck - all of which can be readily found, and the model is ready.

On the other hand inside the game the usual scale and rendering makes this unnecessary, since the texture-painted guns look well enough as if they are simply within the confines of the hull, and the difference can be barely seen.

I can create custom maps!

shot0000.png
Collision/shoal zones generate a little buggy for now - that triangle you see should have been a rectangle, but they do work, and ships react to the map obstacles.

Is there anybody familiar with GIS data processing and especially BlenderGIS around, I wonder? We are one step from real-world terrain here.

Last edited:
Launched the Belle Poule of 32 guns:

shot0002_1.png

shot0000_2.png shot0001_2.png
She has incredible tumblehome and sleek lovely lines. I did allow to add the quarterdeck and forecastle bulwarks, as usual, and raised the head and cutwater a little to conform.

And she fills the position of 12-pounder frigate making the replacement line for 5th rates more or less complete.

Last edited:
A very tentative experiment with geographic data.

shot0000.png
Approach to Southampton with Isle of Wight to the left, from a very low-resolution map, turned to model. It was anything but easy, and it seems I messed the height scale completely (and even without collision zone), but it's something in that direction.

Fixed - finally - the deadeye texture, so that the connecting ropes do not disappear anymore due to pixel shading.
And made a 18-pounder late-war texture for Belle Poule, based on HMS Pyramus (left), making a short-range and rather economical, but still capable frigate:

shot0000.png

Nice Pictures, played AOS 2 and AOS: PB myself back in the days.
It's most fun online with others at Sea Lords Virtual Feets.

Too bad you are a little late with the modding, but looks good.
Did some some modding work myself with Empire Total War (Changed the Shiptextures),
so i know how much work this can be.

Late? There is still no game that allows things this one does with that level of historical realism.
It just needs a little more tweaks. Hopefully, I'll manage to generate the terrain maps at some point :)

(I wouldn't object to new engine, of course. But...)

shot0000.png
Added some details to the ship's head (and will eventually introduce them to all other models), so that the bowsprit area will not look as empty as before.

Late? There is still no game that allows things this one does with that level of historical realism.
We're also still keeping the 2003 PotC game alive and the community for Age of Empires 2 on Steam is apparently still growing as well.
"Late" is relative. :cheeky

A TF-converter (SEA DOGS TF CONVERTER By Orzel) actually already exists. which works for AOS2 and should work for AOS-PB. I don't know if you can still download it somewhere.
There even was a viewer for CFF-Files by the same guy.

And i said too late, as i would have loved to see some more mods for the game, when i actually played it regulary online.

A TF-converter (SEA DOGS TF CONVERTER By Orzel) actually already exists. which works for AOS2 and should work for AOS-PB. I don't know if you can still download it somewhere.
There even was a viewer for CFF-Files by the same guy.

There is a link up the thread. Page 2.

Obviously I use that one, as well as you can see, I can actually export CFFs. How do I make the ships sail else? :)

The problem I have with terrain is automating the process (more or less) from terrain data to game model, which still requires some finesse.
I currently use QGIS to make a height map, apply a coastline and then import it to Blender, reproject and separate underwater and surface meshes, and still did not figure out how to extract the corresponding terrain textures, but I'll get there. Eventually :)

Last edited:
S0rry missed the link on page two.

I mostly played it online and, as far as i remember, only plain sea map where avalible there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, there are a number of various land maps packed with the game, with cities, forts, shallows, etc.

During the late extensive playtest, compiling reports from one encounter to the next, I found out something nags me.
Hull damage/casualties ratio was definitely wrong.
I reviewed then a number of reports from various real actions, and went to damage system configuration (thankfully, it's also in an ini file).
Remember United States vs. Macedonian? 3 hours, 70 broadsides from US frigate only, and Macedonian suffered around 100 killed and wounded, with relatively intact hull, but two masts down.
Somehow, I had to recreate this.

The game contains four types of ammunition: cannon balls, chain-shot, grape and double-shot.
Unfortunately, I had to make some concessions at this point, because the AI does not seem to switch the ammo from the basic balls for some reason and there is no way to verify, let alone force it.

But in any case, each type of ammo had a table of damage factor depending on what it hits - sails, hull, crew, etc.
So I tweaked the cannon balls to do less damage to hulls and crew, and more to sails (the rigging is VERY vulnerable). Chain-shot brings down sails and crew, grape is against crew only (but deadly), and double-shot is like single, but more damage with less range.

What is the point of balls then, you'll ask me? In addition to relatively little damage to the ship's hull, the balls (and double-shot especially) are very effective to silence the enemy's guns. So, like in many historical encounters the ship will still float, be full of angry men, but couldn't maneuver and unable to shoot back. Yes, that makes the encounters longer, but much more realistic.

And I greatly increased the stern-rake multiplier. It's not easy, but if you succeed to get into right position...

You can try it with the configuration mod I posted earlier, and entity.ini will get you rid of the pitching.

Attachments

• shot.ini
    9.6 KB · Views: 235
  • shot - original.ini
    9.6 KB · Views: 239
  • entity.ini
    3.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Back