[!] Technical standards:
- All models are saved in the scale of meters. If you can, try to model to 1.0 meters grid.
- Origin point of the building is at the ground floor level, left corner of main (street) facade.
- Export model Z-axis facing forward and Y-axis facing up.
- The outside walls extend below origin point (ground level) 0.5-2 meters, depending on building size. Simple stairs in front of entrances should also be modeled in the case of placement on the slopes.
- Buildings bigger than one room should have interior and exterior as separate models, for culling and LODing purposes. The separation line should run trough the middle of openings, where doors and windows would be placed.
- Buildings, intended to not have openings closed by doors or windows (see trough) can stay a single model.
- Windows, doors and shutters are modeled separate for reuse and instancing.
In architecture, proportion is everything. So, to artists not familiar with construction industry, one golden rule applies:
Follow references as close as possible! Later you can always add those nice details of age, wear or growth. If you have no exact references, the following paragraphs are for you:
Robert Nutter likes this.