• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help You want to help but can't code?

You do realise that a set square and a pair of compasses make a Freemasons symbol? ;)

It could have been worse. Compasses plus a hammer would be a symbol of East Germany...

Good, what's the perk called?
I will add the rest because it needs some more work.
Could you also provide the other images?
You can call it "Architect" for now. kind of like that name :).

@Levis sure, which are the other images?

I have also started to update/improve some of the existing perk pictures. Like Disguise for ex.

the 64, 128, disabled and locked image I mean
Yes of course, I'll fix those too.

ImproveSmuggling is only cleaned up, Cooking got a little more waterfog and AdvanceSmuggling is a suggestion:

ImproveSmuggling.jpg
Cooking.jpg
AdvanceSmuggling.jpg

We are getting close to a new public release. This means the wiki has to be looked at again and where possible it should be improved. If there are people who have time to help with this please let us know.

I know this thread is three and a half years ago but is there anything that I can do to help out? I don't know shit about coding but I fancy myself a bit of an amateur writer.

I can write in-game books, I have an idea for a cute little CYOA novel.
I can write and design quests via flowchart, the actual coding would need to be done by someone else.
I can do spellchecking, I've noticed a few typos throughout the game so far.

Let me know! More than happy to help c:

I believe at the moment we mostly want to update the wiki a bit so there is a good list of the Quests again.
@Grey Roger do you know anything else?

Something I wanted to do myself some time:

To go through all the citizens dialog for improvement. I think there are quite a few that have unique new descriptions of the tavern keeper, storekeeper etc. But there are also mistakes like when you ask about the Tortuga storekeeper and they tell the story from Martinique about Baldewyn Coffier etc. Or in Cartagena where you ask if there's anything else on the island and the citizens say there's not much else on the island - it's the mainland!

This doesn't add to the gameplay but I always loved it when the citizens give the tavern owners, storekeepers etc. a unique backstory and when they have to tell something unique about the place. This wouldn't require coding, if the number and order of lines in the dialog file isn't changed.

I believe at the moment we mostly want to update the wiki a bit so there is a good list of the Quests again.

I can do that, though to be honest the Wiki seems pretty complete in terms of quests, I've been using it to follow along with everything I've done so far and I've not had any issues. Is there a database for quests in the game files? That'd be easier than trying to play every quest for myself :3

Something I wanted to do myself some time:

To go through all the citizens dialog for improvement. I think there are quite a few that have unique new descriptions of the tavern keeper, storekeeper etc. But there are also mistakes like when you ask about the Tortuga storekeeper and they tell the story from Martinique about Baldewyn Coffier etc. Or in Cartagena where you ask if there's anything else on the island and the citizens say there's not much else on the island - it's the mainland!

This doesn't add to the gameplay but I always loved it when the citizens give the tavern owners, storekeepers etc. a unique backstory and when they have to tell something unique about the place. This wouldn't require coding, if the number and order of lines in the dialog file isn't changed.

Sure, sounds like fun! I'll see what I can do.

I can write in-game books, I have an idea for a cute little CYOA novel.
I can write and design quests via flowchart, the actual coding would need to be done by someone else.
The snag there is that any modders with the skill and patience to code a quest probably have their own ideas about what quest they want to write.

That's the easiest form of modding possible. If you need help figuring out which file you want to correct for a particular typo, just ask.

Those should be easy for you to change in the code; once you get a bit of a feel for the structure.

Also, thank you for your offer! Really much appreciated. :bow

One thing that I think could help quite a bit is some support with modpack and PA! promotion.
Making cool things is one thing.
But letting other people know about it is a different thing altogether.

Good idea; the copy-pasting of dialog files certainly hasn't helped immersion there.

Seeing that I'm necro-posting I should ask, is this still being done? I would enjoy making a short story, or some dialogues for NPCs.

This is the thread for people who want to help but can't code. If you can't code, you definitely can't write a storyline or even a sidequest!

But you can certainly check NPC dialogs. You'll find them in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH", or for characters specific to storylines, in "PROGRAM\Storyline\<insert_storyline_name>\dialogs\ENGLISH". For the most part, what you see in these "dialog.h" files is what you see on screen. Some lines are fragments of sentences which are assembled into coherent dialog by code files.

On the other hand, if you are willing to do some coding work, by all means write a short story - it doesn't need to be a long epic such as "Tales of a Sea Hawk".

This is the thread for people who want to help but can't code. If you can't code, you definitely can't write a storyline or even a sidequest!

But you can certainly check NPC dialogs. You'll find them in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH", or for characters specific to storylines, in "PROGRAM\Storyline\<insert_storyline_name>\dialogs\ENGLISH". For the most part, what you see in these "dialog.h" files is what you see on screen. Some lines are fragments of sentences which are assembled into coherent dialog by code files.

On the other hand, if you are willing to do some coding work, by all means write a short story - it doesn't need to be a long epic such as "Tales of a Sea Hawk".

I do know how to code (SCAR/Java), not sure what this game uses though, and I know how to modify existing .ini files, however I was talking about short stories for in-game books, like OP mentioned;

Book writers
We now have readable books ingame so if you want to write a book for the game go ahead. We can show you how to add these books to the game.

Back