• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Xbox 360 Controller Support

vlad96

Landlubber
@JackOfOwls wrote:
I use Xpadder in conjunction with an Xbox 360 controller.

My control scheme is as follows:
left hand using the 360 controlling movement, activation, health, cursor up, down, left & right, Quick load, Quick save, etc.
Right hand uses a 5 button mouse for all combat functions and inventory/info management.

I originally used just the gamepad for all functions but found inventory management too cumbersome but for those who would like to try it that way, here's my Xpadder profile (see attachment).
People can keymap to their tastes but this Xpadder config allows PotC to be played very similarly to traditional console games (left stick for movement, right stick for camera, turning, inventory/information cursor, etc.), at least on land, but I prefer what amount to keyboard/mouse control with certain keyboard commands mapped to Xpadder.
Less cumbersome that way.

Original Opening Post:

Hi, i own a Logitech Dual Action Gamepad and I was wondering if is there anyway to play the game on the gamepad? I had the original game on my xbox and I find it impossible to adapt to the keyboard controls

Attachments

• POTC-New Horizons Xpadder Profile.zip
    696 bytes · Views: 449
Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way that I know of. But then I never tried. Maybe someone else knows?

I'm sure I've seen the Xbox controls located in the game files, somewhere. Perhaps there's a way to enable them instead of the PC controls.
It would be quite useful if we could manage this, so others can use gamepads if they prefer.

Personally, my only experience with this is using a programmable gamepad that can have its buttons mapped to keyboard commands, but that's cheating. :wp

EDIT: Yes, it looks as though the Xbox controls are indeed there, but they're only activated if the game is run on an Xbox (obviously).
Maybe we could set a different condition for the controls to be activated? Or even have it as one of the Game Preferences?

Pieter, would you be able to help with this? Specifically how to force the game to use the Xbox control scheme.
My guess is it would have to do with this line in Controls.c:
Code:
    if(sPlatformName=="xbox")    initFileName = "controls\init_xbox.c";
If we could change it into an in-game toggle, maybe we could get it to work?

Try to find:
Code:
    if(sPlatformName=="xbox")    initFileName = "controls\init_xbox.c";
    if(sPlatformName=="pc")        initFileName = "controls\init_pc.c";
Replace with:
Code:
     initFileName = "controls\init_xbox.c";
See if that makes the game recognize any of the gamepad buttons.
Don't really have time to look into this though and have no gamepad to test with. :facepalm

I tried this earlier, and it does at least disable the PC controls. However, I plugged in an Xbox 360 controller and couldn't actually use any of the buttons.
I think my PC recognised the controller properly (per Device Manager), so that would probably suggest more game code still needs changing. Not sure what, but I won't ask you to investigate right now.

From what I recall, the original game didn't support the middle mouse button, but the modded game does.
That suggests to me that it IS possible to put other controls in there. Probably by editing init_pc.c or DefaultControls.h .
Someone would have to experiment with it. Someone who has a gamepad, preferably an X-BOX controller.

When I tested, indeed I couldn't use any button either and the mouse stopped working.
So yeah, it does something. But if it is something sensible, I do not know.
All I do know is that obviously init_xbox.c has not ever been edited or updated by the modpack.

I could try this some time. I am going to get my game working on an Xbox and after that see if I can get the Build Mod to work on an Xbox, so I could also try to get an Xbox controller working on PC. I don't think it would be of much use for the Build Mod, though. It requires use of a cursor, so it might not be able to work with a controller.

In the meantime, I guess it could be done as Armada said, by using a programmable gamepad that can have its buttons mapped to keyboard commands.

is so you download the program Xpadder, it works well, you put a PS2 control (XBOX360 not already know) After that you select keys on the keyboard or mouse to be added in control, it passes control to the desired keys, very simple and works with any game!

To learn how it works, is so look on youtube ..

Has anyone figured out how to get the Xbox 360 controller working yet? I tried using Xpadder but, unfortunately the PC version of PoTC has too many buttons that are unassignale as compared to the Xbox version (in other words there is little overlap in the functionality of the buttons on the xbox 360 controller when switching from land to sea).

Hi,

i tried out xpadder configuration and it works well so far on land and sea. Its confusing at the beginning but i get used to it. I dont see any problems so far.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have just bought pirates of the caribean for PC, however i cannot use the keyboard & mouse (tried on various other games aswell - just cannot get the hang of it)

I completed POTC for the original xbox, loved the game, and seeing that there are some amazing mods for the PC version, i would love to play them.

Is it possible to play this with an Xbox 360 controller ?

Thank you

Nobody managed to figure out how to accomplish that yet, I'm afraid.

I wonder if there is any general way of linking buttons to keyboard commands. That might do the trick.

Ok, thanks i will give it a try.

But i have no idea how to install the game ? i bought it pre-owned from amazon and it has two disks plus im on windows 8 - will it work ok ? and is there a tutorial on how to install the game ?

Thank you.

For the xBox controller, you can try a handy little program called XPadder, which you can download from HERE! It will let you remap mouse and keyboard commands to your controller.

As for installing, put the #1 CD's in your PC's CD drive, it should either autorun the setup, or you can open Windows Explorer and navigate to your CD drive and run setup.exe. Be sure and install the game outside of the default Program Files directory, install it to C:\games or something. Windows security "features" will prevent it from running properly in Program Files.

Hi.

Thanks for the link and advice, it helped i managed to install POTC the the hard drive, but when i click on new game it goes to a loading screen. then crashes and i get the message engine has stopped working - is there a fix for this ?

Thank you

This is the default game correct? No Mods installed?

What is your computer hardware and what operating system are you using?

Back