• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP - HMS Shannon (1806) 38 guns

What do you think of these overall proportions? Something feels off to me, but probably I'm not the best judge...

Perhaps the flying Jibboom is too short, when I look at the Trincomalee figurehead to dolphin striker is around the same distance as dolphin striker to the end of the jibboom, then the flying jibboom extends forward by a similar amount.

And I take it you mean a spar positioned under the Jibboom?

Wow, it's been a long time :)

The model still exists, indeed I started over from scratch and rebuilt the Shannon more faithfully to the original, but I don't have a lot of time to work on these projects anymore or a clear path to getting the model ingame so it's future is uncertain.

WfKmLyS.jpg

Hey @Alex Connor, what a pleasant surprise to see you in these waters again! :cheers

If you are pressed for time, I do wonder if anyone else might see an opportunity to finish what you started.
Seems like a shame for such an amazing model to go unused. :shock

Hi Pieter, yeah it's been too long :)

If anyone else can make use of the Shannon or other models I've made would be more than happy to put them up for adoption. I've gone a few other frigates slightly less complete but build to a similar level of quality, will have to look at bundling them up for download.

HCSfAi3.png

9IY23jl.png

Good to see you again, @Alex Connor!

I'm sure we can find a use for your models if you're happy to upload them. Which formats can you export to?
I'm also curious which other frigates you started making?

@Alex Connor, thank you for reply! :)

Since I have worked out the conversion process for the Indefatigable (which is pretty straightforward, once you catch the logic behind :) ), I could definitely convert the Shannon, and see about finishing the rest, while the shipbuilding bug is still with me.

Glad to see you around again too @Alex Connor! Looks to me like the HMS Acasta of 1797 on the bottom (30x18pdrs with open rails is a dead giveaway, and the Lavinia seems less likely:napoleon) and the beginnings of another Hebe class frigate, built to the plans of the Venus of 1782.

@Armada, Models were built with SketchUp, I can export them to .mb if a student license is okay (if not something can probably be worked out ;)), or fbx etc

@Martes, That would be amazing, put a lot of work into these models over the years so to finally see them take to the (virtual) oceans would be really special. I'm very busy over this week moving flats and also working, but can look at getting the models bundled up and converted to whichever format would be best for you next week.

@Captain Armstrong, always the expert :D The british frigate is indeed Acasta, and the Hebe-class is La Virginie, built from her own plans. There's a fantastic looking wooden model of Dryade which looks to have been built from the same plans and which I was using as a reference along with your model of the Hebe.

9NuvCew.jpg

Was intended for Naval Action but stalled because I was studying, then Game-Labs decided they have enough ships and want to concentrate on their arena game (Naval Action Legends). Shannon for Naval Action of course was never going to happen, they already have a Leda class even if the Trincomalee model has some problems.

@Armada, Models were built with SketchUp, I can export them to .mb if a student license is okay (if not something can probably be worked out ;)), or fbx etc
FBX would probably be best for wider compatibility. If you could send a link to the models via PM, we can put them on the FTP for any interested modellers.

Sent the La Virginie model in obj format to Martes, once we're sure that's the right scale etc can convert the rest. FBX and Obj can both be exported straight from SketchUp so that's fine.

I will probably have to clean up the Shannon and Acasta models a bit in SketchUp, they have some parts as groups instead of components and export from SketchUp tries to merge all the groups into the same mesh which has horrible results if anything is intersecting.

Hey!

I would love them!
I would actually prefer blend or obj to be honest.

But FBX would work as well.

Its just easier to pick up the workload in blend or obj. I only export to FBX when finished.

Your Shannon was my first inspiration when starting on the HMS Unicorn for the HM Unicorn preservation society

Back