• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Which version

gylfe

Landlubber
Hello everybody,

I got this game for PC when it was new and it completely ruined pirate games for me... it set the standard for pirate games that was never quite matched.

I played this game with build mod years ago, but I don't remember which version. I think it was one of the first releases. I know I did update the mod at least once and played a version with the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman.

I've been away from it for years and have come back to many different versions of the build mod and new horizons. I'm trying to figure out the most stable version that I could install and just forget about. I definitely need a version with the no cd added since my Win 10 laptop has no dvd drive, I'm not sure why Alienware stopped letting you get them. I have to use an external dvd drive and it's not very convenient as you can imagine. I have kept my original cds in perfect condition and would like to keep them that way, so installing and never needing the disc again would be perfect. I can't seem to find information on build 13, which seems to be the most stable, if it includes the no cd.

Any suggestions and information will be greatly appreciated!

A suggestion if you want to preserve the CD's:
Install the game from CD. Don't put it in the default folder, as that will be somewhere in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", and Windows 10 does silly things with those. I've put mine in "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock game".
Copy that entire folder to another one, e.g. "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean". Install your choice of Build Mod onto that. If you want to re-install the game, instead of using the CD's again, just make another copy of "Pirates of the Caribbean - stock game" to another folder and again install your choice of Build Mod.

A suggestion if you want to preserve the CD's:
Install the game from CD. Don't put it in the default folder, as that will be somewhere in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", and Windows 10 does silly things with those. I've put mine in "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock game".
Copy that entire folder to another one, e.g. "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean". Install your choice of Build Mod onto that. If you want to re-install the game, instead of using the CD's again, just make another copy of "Pirates of the Caribbean - stock game" to another folder and again install your choice of Build Mod.
Additional suggestion to that: Make a ZIP including the stock game file. That's what I did and it's crazy useful.
I've reinstalled the game a gazillion times, but haven't touched the actual CDs in years.

Fantastic! Thanks for the help guys! A lot of games I think you're not able to do this, but I did it with Freelancer since you could only have certain mods installed at a time. It was a pain because if you installed a TC, you would have to reinstall the entire game to try another. That is great you can do it with PoTC! I made my copy and will be keeping a copy on my external HD for safe keeping.

Last edited:
I was in the same place you are a few weeks ago. Hadn't played since about bould 13, and wondered how to get back into it.

I found that Build 14 version 4.0 was stable, but version 4.1 had new features and fixes and was worth it. I'm currently running 4.1 with the POTC_BETA4_1_WIP_22092016 zip file installed. There are even more individual zip files, but someone else will have to tell you about those.

If you have plenty of hard drive space, when you install PotC from disks, install it to a folder like D:|Games\PotCStock, then make a copy of that folder to D:\Games\Potc4.0 or whatever and install mods on top of that. That way you don't have to mess with the CDs again. You could zip up the PotCStock folder to save hard drive space and unzip it when you needed it to install new versions; it's much easier than installing from disks.

Welcome back, and enjoy your stay. :)

Hook

PS. If I seem to be repeating information from earlier posts, it's because the forum software did not show me anything but the original post, none of the replies.

Hook

@gylfe Freelancer? Did you recently post a review of Drifter on Steam? Someone posted a review and mentioned loving Freelancer.

Hook

Back