• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll What is your preferred game mod?

What is your preferred game mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mattaust

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Provisional
I'm just curious, I've googled and realized lots of people have asked this question but they are all pretty dated back to when Gentlemen of Fortune wasn't released. I'm just curious to which one you still prefer and why?

Can anyone list a clear Pro and Con list for each game with the mods.

Cheers.

Both games have their plus and minuses.

GOF2 pros:

The combat system is more complex.
The graphics are much better and the better engine delivers better frame rates.
There are a lot of long involved storylines.

GOF2 cons:

The economy is simplistic
The at sea world is unbelievable for me. The ships move mechanically and the sky is all wrong.
No one is supporting COAS anymore.

POTC pros:

The at sea world is pretty good. Good enough to be believable. You can direct sail anywhere and I really like the way the islands slowly appear as you get closer.
The economy is complex and changing.
There are lots of long involved storylines.
There are still people working on improving POTC every day.

POTC cons:

The old engine limits the graphics and frame rates.
The current economy is broken. A new economic system was introduced but then real life got in the way before it was half finished.

Other thoughts:

On land COAS is better and at sea POTC is better. I spend most of my time at sea so I prefer POTC.

I sunk a few hours into AOP2 but even then I still prefer POTC, The towns in POTC are much more interesting. AOP2 seems like they've rushed them and placed the buildings all so closely together.

I think I'll be getting POTC and playing with the updated mod again. It just seems better put together besides the combat system on land

I sunk a few hours into AOP2 but even then I still prefer POTC, The towns in POTC are much more interesting. AOP2 seems like they've rushed them and placed the buildings all so closely together.

I think I'll be getting POTC and playing with the updated mod again. It just seems better put together besides the combat system on land
Couldn't agree more. I was lucky enough to already own a copy of both games when I stumbled upon Pirates Ahoy! about a week or so ago. I hadn't played them in years, and regardless of with or without mods (I've done some extensive playing recently) I prefer PotC - NH by far to AoP2 - GoF. PotC by itself is far more polished than AoP2, and when you drop a 10+ year old, well maintained, polished community mod on top of PotC, it outshines AoP2 by far.

Really the only thing AoP2 has going for it is the updated Storm engine, melee combat, and the graphics. I really didn't care for anything else. Too bad we'll likely never see PotC on Storm Engine 2.8.

I like AOP2 better since it has better graphics for one. The land combat for PotC is not as good as the one in AOP2, but I think both of them are not too good and not comparable to other RPG games like the Witcher series. I was hoping to see the Odyssey game, but there is no English version so far...

Hi,

I’m starting my adventure with pirates word after many years;) I have read o lot about GOF 2.1.5 and NH 14 4.1 as well as test these mods for a several hours. Both mods are great.

I have no time to spend several dozen of hours of playing to finally decide for one, so kindly ask you for help and advice (I think this thread is best for re-opening).

What are other differences between these mods that you have found after hours of playing? I mean some small things that influence for gameplay o a lot – for example:

a) POTC doesn’t allow to remember encounters while changing view from map to 3D (AoP2: CoAS with GOF does).

b) Bigger map and in GOF.

c) Different approach to gunnery, for example I have found conversation as below (but don’t know the difference)

- [in GOF] Small caliber cannons and a crew with good skills can fire quite quickly.Too quickly. The mods never did get that quite right. At one time small fast firing cannons could do more damage than bigger slow firing cannons and it is still a little like that. Until you reach the higher skill levels it is best to fight with small fast ships.

- Damn it, it would be good if they were all firing like in New Horizons ;)

d) no wind on world map in NH

e) more customization options in NH (especially when we will open InternalSettings.h)

For me more important are naval battles and mechanics on sea than storyline.

GOF has a few nice things that attract me, but I feel that there are plenty of advantages of NH not visible at the beginning.

Could you advice what I shall bear into account also to choose the mod?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
PotC New Horizons probably has the best naval battles.
For many years, that has been one of the main reasons that has kept drawing in our long term members.
There is also the Iron Man Game Mode for if you want those battles to be as realistic as possible.
Plus PotC has DirectSail, allowing you to bypass the worldmap if you want.

Of course I'm biased, but I do reckon that PotC basically does everything better with the sole exception of those things that are inherent in the game engine.
So graphics, sword fighting and worldmap encounters being saved are indeed better in the sequel games.
Whether that is a deal breaker for you is personal preference.

The PotC worldmap is pretty big as well. It was small before the modpack, but these days we have a pretty complete Caribbean.

If you have any preferences in historical time periods, PotC has you covered as it is the only game to have 6 fully realised and distinct periods.
So whether you want old caravels or more modern frigates, it is all possible.

Plus the latest modpack for it is still supported by us. ;)

Back