• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What is a good non-fantasy RPG?

boardslide315

Powder Monkey
Besides POTC Build of course.

Looking for something new and immersive. POTC and Sea Dogs are the only RPGs I have ever really played. I tried Assassin's Creed 2 and didn't get into it.

I am not too interested in magic/fantasy, which seems to dominate the genre. I like single player, no massive multiplayer for me. I require good graphics so nothing made prior to 2005.

Any suggestions? :shrug

Besides POTC Build of course.

Looking for something new and immersive. POTC and Sea Dogs are the only RPGs I have ever really played. I tried Assassin's Creed 2 and didn't get into it.

I am not too interested in magic/fantasy, which seems to dominate the genre. I like single player, no massive multiplayer for me. I require good graphics so nothing made prior to 2005.

Any suggestions? :shrug

There is always Fable and Black & White, but not sure they are what you´re thinking of..

Nothing comes to mind that isn't 1) Fantasy; and 2) A FPS-RPG.

I can recommend the STALKER series, Fallout3/NV. If we set aside the non-fantasy requirement, you should definitively try out The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Gothic3.

Howdy and Ahoy!

I would agree if you want to get lost in a game play STALKER.
It may seem like any other first person shooter but it is much more this is one great game.
I have played the 3 games in the series and loved each one.
Just be prepared to get scared once in awhile..
The ending of SOC.
The forest in Clear Sky.
The Firelight near the end of COP.
It took me at least 3 months to play through this series but I like to explore everything and take my sweet time, STALKER is sweet and well worth the time.

Two Worlds is a fantasy game but I enjoyed it. You start out as the most helpless wimp ever and after awhile you eventually become god like, very fun game much horse riding. 

Good Luck, Lord Fauntleroy.

Update to earlier post.
----------------------------------
I just needed to add this about STALKER, it is a very gritty violent survival shooting game with elements of strategy and horror. One thing nice though is you can holster your weapon and turn of the targeting reticule.
But this game is for brazen adults only, one of the few Great Games but not for the kiddies..

Same holds true for Fallout 3 which has some very violent and troubling scenes like the supermarket parking lot, that area still bothers me.Fallout 3 never captivated me with the intensity and shock like STALKER did.
I was a great game non the less and I logged over 200 hours, The waste-land looked great and had a much better story than the pointless Oblivion.

Oblivion is just to big for my tiny brain. I could never keep my story straight and wandering around the woods and trying to find where I had left my horse was frustrating. Not a game for me it was too loose, good looking, but a pointless story line made it grow tiresome, I never got into the game.

My favorite somewhat violent but not too violent RPG:
Call of Juarez and Call of Juarez Bound in Blood, the greatest western shooters ever.
These often overlooked games are top shelf in production and entertainment but short on length.
Are they Violent? Yes. Do I Recommend them? Yes. They are no more violent than the movie Shane.
These play out more like a great western movie than a video game, the story is well told and exciting.
A few of my favorite memories in gaming come from Call of Juarez and that is saying allot.

OK I'm done now.

hmm... all I can think of is final fantasy along with a couple of other multiplayers :mm, sorry, but I can't think of anything other than RPG pirate games...:shrug

Actually, you could try the elder scrolls, it's kinda fantasy, kinda not.

the first broken sword game, maybe. it has a plot quite similar to the da vinci code if that's your sort of thing.

Hey, I noticed you didn't play CoAS. This is the answer to your problem. Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships. Buy it from www.gamersgate.com!

Another good game you could get (if you're willing to wait for a couple of months) is the elder scrolls 5 skyrim, it comes out november 11th.

well, it has dragons and magic, but it does also have jobs, realistic towns, animals, plants, alchemy, and tons of melee weapons to wield, it's a really cool game, can't wait for it to come out :)

well, it has dragons and magic, but it does also have jobs, realistic towns, animals, plants, alchemy, and tons of melee weapons to wield, it's a really cool game, can't wait for it to come out :)

Provided, of course, that Bethesda doesn't rip all that out before release and market it as DLC. xD: After buying Fallout at full price and not being able to ever play it for more than five minutes without a crash, I'm leery of ever going near anything put out by those twits again. All the patches didn't help, either.

bethesda wouldn't do that stallion, never have, never will...

Back