• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Weren't the tailors in the personal towns supposed to have a wardrobe collection of their own?

Fluen

Freebooter
I was once told, that some outfits like Geralt of Rivia were only sold by tailors in towns, I had conquered and held as personal towns. But in the latest build it appears, that the tailors keep selling their original collections. In La Tortue the tailor keeps selling French uniforms, and in Cartagena the tailor still sells the Spanish uniforms and the outfits, he sold before my conquest.

Did you change your mind or what?

I have also been searching all over for the outfit: Beatrice Devlin - in some other clothes. Where do I find it now?

That's odd. I'd have thought that tailors, like anyone else, should change nation when the town is conquered. I'll need to poke around and find out exactly what is supposed to happen when a colony is captured.

"Beatrice Devlin. In some other clothes" was the description for model "BeatriceA". Beatrice Devlin is the primary character in the "Devlin Opera" storyline being developed by @BathtubPirate and that model is now used by Beatrice's sister Bonnie, so it now has the description "Beatrice's sister. Slightly younger, slightly sassier and it shows in the outfit." It's another one which is now assigned nation PERSONAL_NATION which means it will only be available to buy from a Personal tailor, which leads back to the first problem.

@BathtubPirate: how about putting this model back to SPAIN, which means it would once again be available from Spanish tailors? For that matter, how about doing the same for "BeatriceB"?

@BathtubPirate: how about putting this model back to SPAIN, which means it would once again be available from Spanish tailors? For that matter, how about doing the same for "BeatriceB"?
I don't use the tailor feature, thus I don't know it well.

For the story I didn't think of the Devlins as spanish characters. Regarding their names and appearances, I picture them as british or irish. So I changed the story presets to "Personal" and try to make in-story references to the fact that they're basically foreigners in this new, spanish world. I guess I then changed the presets for the free play characters, so they correspond with the story, similar to when you choose e.g. Hornblower in free play he's an english naval officer in the year 1798 per default. And I guess the presets for free play correspond somehow with the availability of the model in tailor shops?

The "Nation" attribute for the model in "initModels.c" is not necessarily a preset for FreePlay, excepting that FreePlay allows you to choose your character model - and so does "Tales of a Sea Hawk". The interface where you choose your starting model has several ways to filter through the huge choice of models so you don't need to search the whole lot for the one you want, and one of those filters is by nation. (I'm not sure if PERSONAL_NATION outfits are available in this interface, and certainly "Personal" is not one of the nations you can choose as a filter - at best you'd have to leave it as "Any" and look through the whole lot.)

Beyond that, the only effect of the "Nation" attribute is to determine which nation's tailor will sell it. Perhaps set the "Beatrice" models to nation ENGLAND, then? That way, you can more easily pick them for FreePlay and they'll be available from any British tailor. (If you regard them as Irish then you could follow the example of Julian McAllister, the default FreePlay character, who is presumably Irish judging by his Personal flag and whose model is also set to ENGLAND. ;))

That's odd. I'd have thought that tailors, like anyone else, should change nation when the town is conquered. I'll need to poke around and find out exactly what is supposed to happen when a colony is captured.
Poking complete. It turns out that tailors do indeed normally change nation when the town is conquered, e.g. the one in Speightstown sells French outfits when France takes the town at the beginning of "Tales of a Sea Hawk". But they don't change if you conquer the town for yourself, and it's not a bug, it's intentional. In "PROGRAM\Towns\Towntable.c", function 'SetTownGarrisonForNation':
Code:
if (GetAttribute(character, "Dialog.Filename") != "tailor_dialog.c" || iNation != PERSONAL_NATION)    character.nation = iNation; // PB: Skip tailor nation change when taking town for yourself
@Pieter Boelen: can you remember why tailors are specifically blocked from changing nation to PERSONAL_NATION? Do Personal tailors not work, or does it break something else?

@The Nameless Pirate: how about making Geralt's outfit PIRATE, the same as Ciri's?

I would want the possibility to aquire any outfit somewhere. I don't much care for where, as long as it's possible.

Pending an answer to why tailors are specifically blocked from changing to PERSONAL_NATION, try this - put it into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS". Any tailor of any nation, if he's in a town controlled by you, has a 50/50 chance of putting a Personal outfit rather than his nation's outfit into each line of his random selection. Since you have captured plenty of towns, you're perfectly placed to try it out and see if it does anything strange.

It certainly does one strange thing:
elting_for_sale.jpg
He's not stretching his arms because he's bored. That's the model for Johan Elting when he's climbing, it uses a different animation for the climbing poses, and it looks odd if you buy it and then use it:
elting_outfit.jpg
@Bartolomeu o Portugues: how about setting "Johan_Elting_d" to BROKEN rather than PERSONAL_NATION so that it can't be bought or used for FreePlay?

Which reminds me, @Fluen: you still won't be able to acquire all outfits. Some of them are set to BROKEN rather than a proper nation precisely to stop you from buying them or choosing them for FreePlay. Some are completely unsuitable - you're not allowed to look like a zombie monkey, for example! Others were created by writers of storylines or quests specially for their characters, and the uniqueness of those characters would be undermined if these outfits were available generally. Several stories have outfits protected like this. I've even protected a few myself for "Ardent" - you can buy Lucia's dress, for example, but she has a couple more outfits for her use alone.

Attachments

• tailor_dialog.c
    94 KB · Views: 54
I don't really care what you do with the Beatrice and Blaze models as far as tailors and filtered selection go, I'd just appreciate it if their default nation in Free Play doesn't indicate them to be Spanish and - if possible - stayed as "Personal".

Tailors and FreePlay both rely on the same "model.nation" setting. If it's PERSONAL_NATION then the model can't be bought (except if you capture a colony for yourself, and then only if the modified "tailor_dialog.c" doesn't show any problems). They won't be Spanish by default in FreePlay, nor available from Spanish tailors, if they're set to be British instead.

Perhaps make "BeatriceB" Personal, as that's a new model specifically designed for the story. Make "Beatrice", "BeatriceA" and "Devlin" British as they've been readily available both for FreePlay and from tailors for a long time, and as has been shown, some folks are going to miss them if they're no longer buyable.

They won't be Spanish by default in FreePlay, nor available from Spanish tailors, if they're set to be British instead.
And where would I set this? model.nation is probably set in initModels I presume.

By the way, I don't know what @Jacob designed "BeatriceB" for, all I know is that I am going to use it for the story. I myself haven't designed any new models yet. :wp

And where would I set this? model.nation is probably set in initModels I presume.
Yes. However, have a look at this version of "initModels.c". It should have all your new stuff; "Beatrice", "BeatriceA" and "Devlin" set to ENGLAND; "BeatriceB" left as PERSONAL_NATION; and a lot of other new stuff for other people.

By the way, I don't know what @Jacob designed "BeatriceB" for, all I know is that I am going to use it for the story. I myself haven't designed any new models yet. :wp
I don't think it has been used anywhere else. In any case, nobody has seen it yet (unless they managed to find it in FreePlay). So they're not going to miss it the way they may miss the others. (And I need to change "BuildInfo.txt" to credit @Jacob properly for "BeatriceB".)

Attachments

• initModels.c
    519.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
No, you'll need to start a new game for a new "initModels.c" to take effect. Dialog files, on the other hand, should work right away. So if you have that new version of "tailor_dialog.c" from post #7, you should have a chance to buy the "Beatrice" outfits from a tailor in any of the towns which you have captured.

So far your updated tailor dialogue works. I've found Geralt, a few personal soldiers - and the climbing Johan Elting. I suppose, it hasn't been set to "broken" yet?

Back