• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Wayward Ventures - Co-Op Multiplayer Treasure Hunting

Jackseno

Landlubber
Returning to Tempest: One Year Later

wN2EvwW.jpg

Last night I played Tempest, the Cryengine build of my game - (Now called Wayward Ventures.)

The build as well as the Cryengine itself has earned a somewhat bad reputation between myself, my development team and my friends. This isn’t unfounded either. The build is exceedingly buggy, crashing often, and stuck with a framerate that rarely exceeds 20 frames a second.

On top of that, the build itself is a reminder of our inability to realise my vision of a co-operative multiplayer game, as it is single-player only. With A.I standing in as crew-members aboard the player’s ship.

It was quite a surprise then, that upon returning to the build to play it, almost a year after it was made, that I found myself so genuinely lost in it. With enough distance from the original development process, I was able to truly appreciate the game for what it was. The component parts of which are all things I still wish to achieve in Wayward Ventures - only in a multiplayer setting.

During my session I drew a map to chart my surroundings and navigate to a port, buy a sword from a vendor, sail to an island full of hostile pirates - which I was able to circle in my galleon as the crew peppered the shore with cannon fire, before taking to the beach myself, fighting with the A.I as the shot from my ship’s guns continued to whiz overhead. I found treasure, got lost in fog, raked the boss pirate ship before sailing straight in to a storm which tore my ship to pieces.

I had such a fantastic time doing all this, and it was a sharp reminder of just how much I wish to share all these moments with other people as they happen in-game.

My team is currently understaffed and unfunded, and as it stands unable to make any real progress. Without programmers we are dead in the water!

If you’re reading this and know a programmer familiar with the Unreal engine, or even are one yourself. Please contact me! I am currently trying to secure funding that will enable me to properly hire someone, but until then all I can do is try my best and appeal here!

Thanks! If I'd known this was to be on the front page I might have made it more front-page-y! haha, it was just some introspection I felt like writing down late last night. Still though, if it gets us some help that's only a good thing. Thanks Pieter =)

Thanks! If I'd known this was to be on the front page I might have made it more front-page-y! haha, it was just some introspection I felt like writing down late last night. Still though, if it gets us some help that's only a good thing. Thanks Pieter =)
I think you can probably still edit your text above if you want to "make it more front-page-y". :doff

This is an extremely unique game; to fill an exact role aboard ship forces you to think fast and collaborate to the fullest with your friends. Lighting individual guns has a certain magic to it in a time when RTS and combat games tend to put considerable distance between the player and their machines of war. I for one would love to see this make the jump into stable multiplayer for these and many more reasons...and I'll say again... damn, those graphics :D

Back