• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Vanilla PotC - Videos don't run correctly

SonataFanatica

Landlubber
Hey there, guys!

Man, I haven't been on this forum for probably over ten years. Awesome to see you're still going strong!

Now I've installed vanilla Pirates of the Caribbean (the German version) for the first time in ages and I've got a problem with the videos – like the Disney Interactive, Ubisoft, Bethesda company logos, the Credits video that can be played from the main menu, the first video after leaving Oxbay for the first time, and so on.

(Running on Windows 10, latest version, with a Radeon R7 260X.)

At first all I got was a black screen, but after deleting all codec packs from my PC, the videos at least started. However, they look like this:

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
I was thinking about re-encoding all the videos into a different format, but maybe that's a bit excessive...

Thanks very much in advance for any advice!

edit:

YESSSSSSS!! :woot I've solved it!

I took another look into the engine.ini and changed the line
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_R5G6B5
into
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8

... because I found it to be a likely line to change, and I saw that "R5G6B5" is 16 bit, while "X8R8G8B8" is 32 bit in this thread. :)

Last edited:
Nice work!

By the way.
Maybe you should limit the game's fps to 60.
I noticed a bit of flickering on the menu that can be solved this way.
Solved - Slow motion effect
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Also sometimes DGvoodoo makes it so that you can limit the fps from the graphics card's game settings.
So you wouldn't need to run Rivatuner before running PotC.

But when I used the integrated AMD graphics of my CPU I was having problems with it.
And seeing as your GPU is an AMD one Rivatuner is the surest solution.

I must say I did have some trouble getting it to work with dgVoodoo at first.
For me, these settings work perfectly now:

01u1jeo.png
025ajzp.png

... while also having the resolution in the engine.ini to:
screen_x = 1280
screen_y = 1024
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8

edit: If it doesn't start correctly (sometimes it starts minimized, and maximizing it leads to "ENGINE has stopped working"), just start the dgVoodoo control panel, switch from "Full Screen" to "Windowed" (in the "General" tab), start the game once, then switch it back to "Full Screen". Don't know why that is, but that's a way to solve it.

Before I installed a new graphics card the game with the latest version of DGvoodoo looked like this:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

I then installed an older version that worked better but the game was running unstably.
No matter what setting I changed it refused to work properly.

Now with a GTX 1660S the game works well with DGvoodoo and the fps limited to 60 from the Nvidia control panel.

That's interesting...
I have an AMD FX-4300 cpu and a Radeon R7 260X, and I'm using a completely unmodded/vanilla version of PotC.

When I tried it out first, I had a strange problem with trading. In the tutorial bit where the first mate shows us around Oxbay and tells us to buy sandalwood and silk.
If I bought sandal first, then all the other goods I wanted to buy remained at 0, even though I selected more with the right arrow button. The purchase worked, but I still only saw a 0 displayed.
That only was the case with sandal though! If I bought silk (or anything else) first, all the other buttons showed the correct numbers when I increased or decreased them with the arrow buttons.
That never happened again either, so... maybe that was just a one-time bug.

Maybe it was an issue exclusive to the graphics of the RYZEN APUs? :shrug
I remember something about AMD cards having problems, but probably not all have them.

The Witcher 1 also had problems running in the Vega 11, with frequent stutters and long loading times.
While 2 and 3 run normally.
DGvoodoo fixed the stutters, but some textures were not rendered properly, like in PotC.

With the dedicated card I now use Witcher 1 runs normally even without DGvoodoo.

If it doesn't start correctly (sometimes it starts minimized, and maximizing it leads to "ENGINE has stopped working")
That sounds similar to an issue I get.
You could try setting the game to "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode in the ENGINE.exe file properties.

For your video issue, I'm reminded of the 'ffdshow' mention here:
New Horizons FAQ | PiratesAhoy!
Not sure if that's actually related; but at least now you know. :doff

Back