• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unity Developer wanting to help.

dimos

Landlubber
Programmer
Provisional
Hi, I am a programmer with a good working knowledge of the Unity engine. You can see some of previous work here dimostsakis.

Lately I've been searching for a bigger project to contribute to, and after playing some of the latest builds and seeing the work you guys did, I think I wanna give this a go.

My areas of interest:
  • Player controls (movement etc.)
  • Combat system (I already played Hunter's Moon and it looks pretty cool)
  • AI (behaviour trees etc.) - that's an area I really wanna dive into, since my previous games had very simple AI.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Dimos

Ahoy @dimos, welcome aboard mate!

Thanks for the link to your work samples, good stuff there mate! :onya
@JohnSilver is our lead developer and programing coordinator, he should be along shortly. You have come at a very opportune time, as we are currently working on the areas where your interests lie! :onya

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome, I think there is a lot to learn in a project like this one, and I will be happy to contribute if I can.

Ahoy @dimos

Looked at your site, it looks very good.

We are in the process of working on a number of POC projects and rebuilding the main HoO game project again.

Quite a bit of our focus over the last few months has been developing AI for characters and NPC ships.

Currently, I am extending/rewriting an AI concept developed at NSW University that combines NPC goals and social interactions on top of behaviour trees.

What I could use some help with is development of the action behaviour trees for things like patrol, work, goto, attack, flee, ignore, taunt, hire, admire and so on. Is that something you would be interested in collaborating on?

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but I do work with @Foamy by including the Hunters Moon combat system into HoO.

Also, we always start out new developers on bare bones isolated projects. So initially you will be working alone until we establish a good working relationship.

Cheers,

JS

Yeah I would like to help with the behaviour trees, and working on an isolated project when starting out makes total sense so I don't mind that.
What's the next step now?

Login to our BitBucket server at http://162.246.156.88:7990

Create a new account and let me know your username when you are done.

After that I will add you to the project I am building for you and then you can clone to your machine with SourceTree.

Here is a video of how to use SourceTree to connect to source control and manage your project with Unity.

Cheers,

JS

dimos, I have added you as a Provisional Programmer, you should now have access to the Development Forum. Let me know if you have any issues, please feel free to have a look around when you get the chance.

@dimos, I have created a new project called HoO_NPC on the BitBucket server. You should have access to pull down the project.

I am still adding some other core assets so not everything may be there yet. It can take a while to create a new repository and copy over the files.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Cheers,

JS

Back