• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ubisoft Pulls New Titles From Steam!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Ubisoft seems determined to shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get. In a move that seems destined to really curtail sales for their upcoming AAA titles, Ubisoft has pulled them from both the UK and US Steam stores. I am not sure what this means for people who have already pre-ordered those titles, but they certainly are not going to be very happy. I am curious to know just what was behind this decision. That includes Assassin’s Creed Unity, which is set to be released on November 13 in Europe, Far Cry 4 on November 20, and The Crew on December 2. Of the three, I was a bit curious about Unity, but simply for the history behind it. The Assassin's Creed storyline and gameplay really holds absolutely no interest for me at all.

PCGamersN has a pretty good writeup on exactly how it all went down yesterday. They speculate that the reason may be pricing, but I have a feeling that is not the only thing behind this decision. The fact that this is also an Xbox title probably has something to do with it as well. Judging by the comments they revived there are some very fed up gamers out there! You can read the full article HERE!

Attachments

• Ubisoft.png
    Ubisoft.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 26
In other news EA has abdicated its chairmanship of the asshat committee making way for the think tanks at Ubisoft to once again move forward their plans.

xD i kid but i tell you what they rely are making a move on EAs reputation at the moment.

Last edited:
If pricing really is the reason, somehow I'm not surprised. The situation, especially with digital pricing on non-Steam platforms, is just insulting.
I still refuse to buy any triple-A games digitally on PSN because I can get the same games at least £10 cheaper from retail.
Until Sony, Microsoft and the third party publishers can get their act together and learn from Steam, I don't think their dream of a digital future is going to manifest itself for a very long time.

Yup, I agree completely. It could very well be just a pricing issue, the games are much more expensive on XBox as well. I find it interesting that there were press releases issued today for two of the three games mentioned above! xD

I thought maybe Ubisoft had got a clue when they pulled that draconian DRM they tried to force down gamers throats a couple of years ago, but it is obvious that the corporate mentality is still firmly in control and in place. They are still clinging to the philosophy of their old distribution model and trying to force it to be relevant in the digital age. Sony, Microsoft and EA have all experienced similar problems with similar results.

This is why I try and highlight Indie gaming every chance I get, and another reason I have softened on my views of Steam from a few years ago. They have embraced Indie developers and brought a lot of great games and developers to the forefront that would have had a much tougher time getting started without Greenlight. I still do hate Steams DRM requirements, but I do understand the need for it for certain reasons. I just wish they could find a better solution than what they currently have.

If pricing really is the reason, somehow I'm not surprised. The situation, especially with digital pricing on non-Steam platforms, is just insulting.
I still refuse to buy any triple-A games digitally on PSN because I can get the same games at least £10 cheaper from retail.
Until Sony, Microsoft and the third party publishers can get their act together and learn from Steam, I don't think their dream of a digital future is going to manifest itself for a very long time.

just as a small comment to this , things can still be expensive on steam.
all of the sims 3 costs around $500
all of call of duty costs around $400 with titles like world at war and call of duty 2 still costing $40

Back