• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Tips & Tricks for Playing the Game

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
As it stands, the "About Build" interface is a little on the useless side, so I think we should put some more relevant stuff in there.
Extract attached to RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH to see the start I've made on this one.

This needs further work though and I would just as well not have to do it myself.
So... who would like to go and improve on this? NO coding knowledge required!
What Tips & Tricks do YOU have that think should be shared with any and all players?

Attachments

• about_build.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 871
So... any interest in this? Or at the very least: Anyone willing to share some useful tips here?

Easiest might be if you just post the tips here.

Or, if you want to do this whole project, keep working on it and then post the file.
Feel free to edit/remove/add whatever you want; the version I did was more of an example than anything else.
It doesn't look so good just yet. :wp

well I could do that but I dont know which tips are usefull and which not. And there might be some spelling and grammatical errors^^
I made these tips so far:
(Land)
- Dont forget that you can take crewmembers with you at land explores. Especially at the beginning of a game it's helpfull, because you won't have officers.

- Always watch your ammunition and powder for guns!

- Be sure to look in the inventory after a fight. Maybe one of the enemies dropped a weapon better than yours!
(Sea)
- If the odds in a seabattle are totally against you, load chains and try to break the enemy's masts.
- Boarding will be way easier with a crew with good morale. Also, it is very effective to load grapes and fire a few salves before boarding.
- When you try to board, watch your speed! It can be deadly to pass by a ships side.

Cool! Keep it up! Perhaps we can use some during the loading screens too.

Please tell me I'm not going to have to do this by me onesy. Literally anyone could do it and I do have other things on my To-Do List.
Someone? Anyone? Pretty please....? :rolleyes:

These are a few translated tips from my website. Not sure if useful and there may be spelling or grammar errors. My English is not that good.

- Don't forget to repair your ship frequently, especially after a tough battle. Though your crew is able to repair slightly damages like holes in the hull or the sails (they need sailcloth and planks for that), they cannot replace fallen masts (or even the whole bowsprit).

- Keep the total number of your crew in mind und hire some new men at the tavern, when necessary.

- Make sure to buy some medicine, to prevent your wounded crew from dying of gangrene after a battle. Try also to hire a surgeon for the best results.

- Hire a gunner as early as possible to perform better in naval battles. He will also equip you with new ammunition if you enter your ship's deck, otherwise you have to resupply yourself at the powder storage in the cargo hold.

- If you equip a sextant and a compass your ship's position will be shown on the archipelago map.

- Fill the weaponslocker in your ship's cabin with hand weapons and firearms, so your crew can equip themselves before a boarding. You can also place potions or bandages in there.

- If you get into a storm at sea you should turn the bow of your ship to the waves, to prevent capsizing.

- If your ship gets hit by lightning during a storm you should execute a firedrill to extinguish the fires. You need the ability "Basic Ship Defense" to do this.

- Headwind in Realism Mode is not necessarily bad. Try to tack against it by approaching in a zigzag course (... or similar, no idea how to explain this properly in English).

- You don't need a big ship to defeat another or even bigger ship. Try to stay out of your enemy's firing range and you should do fine.

Huh. While roaming these forums and answering questions I can think of lots of tips, but when I sit down and try to write them down I go blank. :pirate07:

Anyway:

Start slow and build yourself up before going too far in any quests.

Find these officers as soon as you can. Rys Bloom, Baldewyn Coffier, Lucas Saldhana, Artois Voisey, Fred Bob. They are horses who can carry you through most situations. But most of them need help and protection until they build themselves up.

Find Toff.

Find the Opium Den!!!

Blank...........

sorry, I'm on to it but due to my exams, I don't have the time at the moment. I will include all tips written down here and will post the full file in about two weeks okay?

Now that I think of it, add fuel for steamships to the list. The first time I got one of those I actually looked for coal in the stores when I ran out of planks and (of course) didn't find any, what confused me a bit.

Not a bad point; that should be noted somewhere. We could add it into the Good Description, but whoever reads THAT???
If someone could make two good "coal" interface pictures, perhaps we can add that into the game to use instead.
We went with planks for simplicity's sake.

There's no need to add coal into the game in my humble opinion. Steam engines were indeed capable of consuming wood fuel, a lot of locomotives did this until 1870. Early steamships (and even some later ones) used wood as well, so it's okay. :doff

I have a few tips that would help new players :

- Make sure you check the piercing and blocking statistics when using a new sword - sure it helps to have high attack power but what good is a high offense if you opponent can pierce your block?

- Don't see a ship that suits your requirements? Why not try upgrading your current one at the shipyard - you'll be surprised what you can make even a lowly sloop do!

- Make sure to ask Tavern keepers about news from other colonies - the information gathered there will keep you posted on relations and might even help you find some new trade routes!

- The crew is the lifeblood of the ship - make sure there are sufficient crew members and their morale is high to ensure the ship functions well.

That looks a little bit like "Crossing the Tee". That is where the two ships or ship formations form a T shape. The ship that is broadside on to the other has the advantage as it can fire more cannons, thus theoretically doing more damage.
Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not.

Yes, that's what I mean (thank you). But it's also the way how I approach an enemy ship on the worldmap, especially when my vessel is a rather small one. Some people I know were complaining a lot, because they approached other ships at their broadside and were quickly blown to heaven, as soon as the battle started.
Maybe it's useful for new players, maybe not.

Back