• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide The tips thread

I found that when your in direct sail mode, if you rise the jolly roger then go into world map mode (without entering direct sail mode again) press F go to the nations tab and change back to the flag of your nation or thast of one you are using and the pirates will not attack you, enemy nations will still try but they are not alway's around.

The reason for the pirates not attacking you with the above tactic is because the pirates are programed if you like to attack you only if you are not flying the jolly roger when loading from direct seail to world map. One you have loaded to the world map it seems the pirates do not get reupdated so its glitch in the game but it helps you out till its fixed one day. xD:

A tip for those contraband runners amongst the waves: smuggling is a great way to make tons of cash however, most of the time you will get caught, to make it a bit easier requires some savescumming. Save your game after landing at the meeting point and then talk to the smugglers, if they attack you, reload and try again. When the deal is concluded and a patrol confronts you, don't bother reloading, just kill them off, it does'nt seem to affect your relation with that nation if you fight them, they are easy to fight and the smugglers will help you. After the fight, save your game before boarding your ship. Now, when you return to your ship, you will be ambushed by other ships, you can skip this battle by quickly selecting the world map option from the fast commands. if you are not fast enough, reload and try again, it usually takes just two or three tries on average. Now for a question, what is the fastest way to upgrade your leadership and navigation skills?

I havent seen this mentioned forgive me if it has been or if its just too obvious to include here, I thought I would add it just in case as its handy to know.

Peter Blood, during his start quests at the point where you must go into the plantation to rescue Jeremy Pitt its possible to get to pitt by either sneaking (More difficult) or just blatantly running towards him.

You are able to speak with him and update the quest without killing any English guards and then run back to the town and through the door. add this to not stealing from the moneylender and you leave the island neutral with England and are able to sail right back into port after escaping from the luggers.

This means your reputation is already fixed so your not getting chased everywhere, don't need to spend cash on fixing it and are able to sail into any English towns (despite what Mr Pitt says on board the frigate) or French towns unhindered, also the quest for the bluebird starts in the same port so your not needing to worry about a good ship to play with until you can sail the frigate.

Please note, Sneaking to Jeremy Pitt, there are still the two guards standing either side of him so you can't sneak all the way, I think your able to kill two or three English guards (I need to confirm this number) if need be before your rep changes to hostile as always save before attempting if you see your rep change to hostile reload and try again.

Running to Pitt, the only issue with running past all the guards is you may get surrounded by them or even killed depending on your difficulty level, I usually sneak to the chest with the sword in it then run to Pitt and out of the plantation.

I have tested both of these ways and they both work, not all glitches are bad xD:

So I finally found the actual city of abandoned ships. But I can't find the chest that the "diffindur" key goes to. It's somewhere in the middle of that broken up ship at the very top of the city map right? I'm tired of swimming in circles looking for it (and at only 2x speed, damn I miss the 10x from PotC, swimming is one of the worst parts of the game)

with the + key on the numberpad you can speed it up to X3 on land, not much of an improvement especially for swimming doesn't seem to speed it up very much, goes up to X6, or X7 occasionally in sailing mode, and X2.5 on the world map.

For diffindur chest, swim around the broken ship et go inside the crack. The chest is on the right, approximately center of the wall, you can't see it because of the water but if you swim around that area close to the wall you will see the hand icon to open it.

Thanks. Which half of the ship, bow or stern? I am nosing around the right ship aren't I, the one split in two clean halves at the north edge of the city map?

I'm also having trouble, on a new character I started, with the help Henry Morgan questline. I tracked Edward Low/Law to Cumana, and read that I need a low-class ship, but he still isn't popping up. Is there a time limit? When I put up a Spanish flag and landed in town, I got a questbook update saying it was too late to find him.

Some nice tips and 'glitches'
1. It often happens that after having captures a ship and removed the canons in order to sell them, not all the canons are removed, click again 'remove' as many times as you wish: the stock of removed canons increases at will and you make a lot of pieces of eight! :onya
2. Do you want to get a better personal reputation: give money to a priest! Keep offering money until you seea log-book message telling you that ypur reputation has increased. Repeat 'till hero level :onya
3. Do you want to obtain better relationship with a particular country? Go to a city belonging to the nation you are interested in, go to the priest, ask for working for him, the priest often sends you to clear a cave/dungeon, go for the job, come back to the priest and tell him 'the cave/dungeon is cleared, the priest answers 'your reputation with my conuntry wil increase', repeat this part of the dialogue several times, your relationship with the nation will get better and better! Keep doing this 'till 'admiratoin' :onya
Bye

Thanks. Which half of the ship, bow or stern? I am nosing around the right ship aren't I, the one split in two clean halves at the north edge of the city map?

I'm also having trouble, on a new character I started, with the help Henry Morgan questline. I tracked Edward Low/Law to Cumana, and read that I need a low-class ship, but he still isn't popping up. Is there a time limit? When I put up a Spanish flag and landed in town, I got a questbook update saying it was too late to find him.

Durr, I was looking in the wrong ship.

So I got the pearl diving mini quest from Sharpe, and guess what, he only gave me 6 days to get from Tortuga to Cumana! Idiot!

Ok, a question that maybe more have here. I started playing on Captain difficulty (like... medium I guess). The begginning was alright. challenging, not nigh-impossible, and fun. but after a while, when I got decent ship with a full crew of sea dogs (who sincerly looked immortal when boarding, as I rarely loose more than 10 sailors no matter what ship I assault), I tought the game became... by loosing challenge, less attractive. so I raised up and now I'm playing on Comodore difficulty. Wow, huge difference! I don't think i died so often in a so short period of time. Then ,little by little, i made my way threw the seas, training my already battle hardened crew ship after ship, and now on a battle corvette, with a nice 17 of speed, it became somewhat... not different than on captain. So the question is : is the game becoming easy after a while no matter what difficulty you play? Or am I cheating or exploiting something that i don't know about (i generaly like to play 100% legit) sio legit, once a hero-captain accepted to join me with his boat... i sent him capture another boat, and he won, with CONSIDERABLE losses, so i roleplayed I'd offer him a place as high officer on my boat, as he had no more crew to command and I "traded" him 150 000 gold in exchange of his boat, wich I still have :D... herm... so yes, the question's up there... sorry for getting out of my subject!

I've a small problem... I want to do the quests line, but it happens (I don't know why... I only pludered couple of cities, sunk some bopats... normal stuff) Everyone, appart of France, offer more than 50 000 for my skin. making it very difficult to go from one point to another without having like 10 bounty hunter that follows my tail. then I can't sneak neither... I'm forbiden every cities from england, holland and Spain. from a role playing point of view, it's pretty cool, but, from a quest point of view, it's... hardcore. And I don't have (anymore since a *** stole me 1 000 000) the money to pay the guys to cool off the bounties on my head...

What to do?

I've a small problem... I want to do the quests line, but it happens (I don't know why... I only pludered couple of cities, sunk some bopats... normal stuff) Everyone, appart of France, offer more than 50 000 for my skin. making it very difficult to go from one point to another without having like 10 bounty hunter that follows my tail. then I can't sneak neither... I'm forbiden every cities from england, holland and Spain. from a role playing point of view, it's pretty cool, but, from a quest point of view, it's... hardcore. And I don't have (anymore since a *** stole me 1 000 000) the money to pay the guys to cool off the bounties on my head...

What to do?

Capture ships and sell them and their cargoes. If you've got a full fleet, put a couple ships in storage so you can capture more.

Trade!!! Even between the French ports and Pirate ports you should be able to find some goods that will make you a good profit in trade.

I also always put at least 300,000 in each bank of my native nation's colonies, so I have it gaining interest and can get to it in a pinch. If you'd done that already, you'd have the amount to get back in good graces with one of the other nations from just one bank.

If you can get back in good with Holland, you can buy livestock for a little over a hundred a head in Willemstadt and sell for between 4 and 6 hundred a head in Fort de France. You can then buy tools for about 40-80 in Fort de France and sell for about 200 in Williamstadt. If you have a couple large ships, you can easily make over a million in a few runs super quick.

MK

What to do?

Capture ships and sell them and their cargoes. If you've got a full fleet, put a couple ships in storage so you can capture more.

Trade!!! Even between the French ports and Pirate ports you should be able to find some goods that will make you a good profit in trade.

I also always put at least 300,000 in each bank of my native nation's colonies, so I have it gaining interest and can get to it in a pinch. If you'd done that already, you'd have the amount to get back in good graces with one of the other nations from just one bank.

If you can get back in good with Holland, you can buy livestock for a little over a hundred a head in Willemstadt and sell for between 4 and 6 hundred a head in Fort de France. You can then buy tools for about 40-80 in Fort de France and sell for about 200 in Williamstadt. If you have a couple large ships, you can easily make over a million in a few runs super quick.

MK

Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

Here's a big Tip to get rich quite fast.

Like '' sennengurushi '' said.

Have big ship that can take up heavy loads, Like heavy galleon.
And do the Merchant Quest.

But, you can earn more if you like to take time trading in the game by looking through Price Lists ( Trade Menu )
For instance your in Port Royal and planning to head to Fort-Au-France.

Look up the price list, Port Royal ( Look at the Item menu with the Green Arrow )

Now check the price difference between the port your going to head to.

For instance, Cotton cost 9money per 10packs. and sells for 21money in Fort-Au-France.
You get 12 extra money from this.

Some are worth it some are not. Good thing about this tip is. Carefully look at the Gold / Silver Prices.
Some are cheeper and sell more at a certain country. This is how you get Rich Fast.

Be Warn do this Strategy only on the 1st of each month and carefully plan your way. Because prices change often after each month.

Gentleman Of Luck... Pirates... huh... wth... they have a Manowar with them LOL sometimes...

Trade tips:
Getting rich is easy, selling capturing ships is one way, selling expensive goods you find on the cheap is another way and doing merchant runs for the store own can help but to make large sums of money contraband is the best way. Check the trade tab in F2 menu and see what ports have what goods listed as contraband. In order to get the ports to show up you'll need to visit the store owner and select the goods list then that port is listed in the trade tab. When searching for goods to sell as contraband look at the goods that are normally expensive to purchase but are listed as contrband and make a note of them, then search for ports that export that good or goods and use that trade route for as long as you can and leave somemoney with the money lenders so you have something to fall back on if you need to.

Cannon tips:
cannons and culverines have differences, culverines have a larger range but do less damage while cannons have a shorter range but can do more damage.

Hello guys,

i'm new in here and i have some questions .

-powder...thats my big problem. i can't get enough powder for an longer fight against more ships. any tips or locations how to get more powder? the town traders just have a low ammount...if any at all.

-enemy AI.....enemy ships i attack just start sailing in circles all the time. even the big 1.Rates... any bug? ..normal?

-storm ...well..what actually should i do during a storm ? sails up and turning against wind? any tips here how to get as few damage as posssible

-after boarding, enemy surrenders, is there no option anymore to sink the enemy ship? (i only played PotC where this option was in..i think)

-taking the "search the pirate ship within 15days "mission from the govenor. well..any tips here? never found the right pirate and allways run out of time.

MANY THANKS for your help..and thanks for the nice MOD

Greetings

Wastel

Hello guys,

i'm new in here and i have some questions .

-powder...thats my big problem. i can't get enough powder for an longer fight against more ships. any tips or locations how to get more powder? the town traders just have a low ammount...if any at all.

-enemy AI.....enemy ships i attack just start sailing in circles all the time. even the big 1.Rates... any bug? ..normal?

-storm ...well..what actually should i do during a storm ? sails up and turning against wind? any tips here how to get as few damage as posssible

-after boarding, enemy surrenders, is there no option anymore to sink the enemy ship? (i only played PotC where this option was in..i think)

-taking the "search the pirate ship within 15days "mission from the govenor. well..any tips here? never found the right pirate and allways run out of time.

MANY THANKS for your help..and thanks for the nice MOD

Greetings

Wastel

Powder: I always get way more than I need from captured ships
Enemy AI: Yeah, that is annoying. No suggestions from me on that.
Storm: I turn to run with the wind, hit the speed up time and exit as soon as i can
After Boarding: No clue cuz in GOF 1.1 they don't surrender. Will be fixed in 1.2 from what I hear.
"Search for Pirate" Gov quest: go to your ship in pport. While at sea, DO NOT go to map, "Sail to" all the ships in the area. The "Pirate" is flying a false flag and should attack you when you are next to it.

Hope that helps!

*Naval combat*

I've had a difficult battle with my 3 class 4 ships against 3 class 1/1/2 under french flag.
Just as i saved the game after "optaining" one of the class1 vessels, one of my mates got boarded and his ass kicked.

I couldn't transfer additional crewmembers to him, i couldn't get to him in time and reloading didn't chance the outcome...I had only one option to prevent him from beeing sent to Davy Jones Locker: Throw money at him!
Press F2, select the ship, press raise moral button several times 'til moral reaches "heroic"...
It might have cost me a 150k, but he then managed to board and capture that class 2 frenchy without too many losses. He then immediately started pounding the remaining class1 with the new massive gun battery and also drew the main brunt of the enemy fire.
This enabled me to sail to my second companion, replenish my ranks and then board that third sucker. 150k very well spent.

If you should find yourself in a similar situation: Money changes everything :D

@ wastel
Catching the pirate can be quite difficult. The ship in question is not necessarily close enough to appear on the "sail to" list. Especially if you took the quest somewhere on the main land. But it is near a place where you can moor. A nearby lagoon or something... sail up and down the coast (on sealevel, not on the map, that would consume too much time)
You will know immediately once you've rowboated over, the crewmembers are pirates.and have different dialogues. However, in this version of GoF you can't see that through your spyglass.

Back